Diamond system for kicking to long rail?

Clusterbuster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm trying to figure out how to use the diamonds on the end rail to calculate kicking to a certain point on the long rail (most likely to a ball frozen to the long rail). Kicking a ball sitting in the jaws of a corner pocket such that it goes to the far end rail and back to the other corner pocket is easy enough (i.e., aiming for the middle diamond on the opposite end rail, splitting the distance). How is the calculation done, however, if instead of trying to kick into the corner pocket, you are instead trying to kick to the first diamond up from the corner pocket or to some other diamond or specific point on the long rail. I'm thinking it's probably pretty obvious but I can't quite get my head around it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suggest you kick at it until you know the shot, most “systems” are assuming you’re hitting the cue ball dead center I.e. without any spin. You should just practice kicking with and without spin so in a game time situation when you have to kick with spin because the natural kick angle is not available you can trust yourself, that and off center hits are more predictable than assuming a center ball hit.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suggest you kick at it until you know the shot, most “systems” are assuming you’re hitting the cue ball dead center I.e. without any spin. You should just practice kicking with and without spin so in a game time situation when you have to kick with spin because the natural kick angle is not available you can trust yourself, that and off center hits are more predictable than assuming a center ball hit.

If one learns what no english does, then it becomes much easier to hit other areas using english. Learn what one tip (3mm, which is the tip contact area) does, and then it is a simple matter to hit where you want to.

One tip of running english will add one diamond across the width of the table.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Start with 1 being at the back of the pocket and every half diamond increments 1 and that is about how far "up" table the ball will hit.

So you are at the second diamond and want to kick at the ball sitting in the side pocket but need to use the short rail to do it. Being you need to go 2 diamonds to hit it you would shoot at the half diamond from the corner with running english.

Tor does have great material and that is highly recommended.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's no substitute for practice.
Like others suggested, keep shooting the shots and
become familiar with what you prefer.
Some people like to mirror the angle.
Some like to spin the cue ball to hit the same spot.
You just need to get the feel for how to drive the cue ball
for your preferred style of play.
There are often many ways to accomplish
the exact same shot.
Some shots may be lower percentage without
practicing them often.
Systems are great, but they're assuming
your stroke is true, and you know exactly where
you're sending the ball.
The easiest way is to start with the mirror system,
and then learn the varying angles achievable with
different amounts of English applied.
1 tip. 2 tips. 3 tips. And everywhere in between.
It's allot of fun to learn how drastically side spin affects
a natural angle, and can get you outta all sorts of tight spots.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm trying to figure out how to use the diamonds on the end rail to calculate kicking to a certain point on the long rail (most likely to a ball frozen to the long rail). Kicking a ball sitting in the jaws of a corner pocket such that it goes to the far end rail and back to the other corner pocket is easy enough (i.e., aiming for the middle diamond on the opposite end rail, splitting the distance). How is the calculation done, however, if instead of trying to kick into the corner pocket, you are instead trying to kick to the first diamond up from the corner pocket or to some other diamond or specific point on the long rail. I'm thinking it's probably pretty obvious but I can't quite get my head around it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
One option is the Sid System, but if you don't like memorizing diamond numbering and doing calculations, a much easier (and IMO better) approach to aiming this sort of shot is to use the visual equal-distance mirror system.

I hope that helps,
Dave