Bar League lol

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After about a 7-8 year gap off refusing to play any type of bar league I was recruited onto a team and I guess forgot all the bs involved and joined. Our home bar is the poolroom I play out of and work at part time and we have two diamonds. Because of my schedule I can only make certain nights so tonight is maybe week 6 and I’ve played at our home bar 2/3 times and the first week played at another bar with a diamond.

The moral of the rant is tonight I walk into the bar to warm up n see 1’pool table in a tiny bar. After waiting my turn I warm up n realize immediately this might be the worst table I’ve ever seen. Not to mention there’s multiple spots thAt impede ur backswing so u either have to try n jack up or see if ur able to use a Allen Hopkins stroke. Lol regardless this is ridiculous on so many levels and should be not allowed in the league

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the places I play USAPL league at has a table where the side pockets are offset by at least an inch from each-other, if you stand at one side pocket, the other one is off to the right/left of it. Side rails are not the same size.

The guy setting up the table must have been same as this guy

Winner%3A+Not+my+job+award.jpg

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After about a 7-8 year gap off refusing to play any type of bar league I was recruited onto a team and I guess forgot all the bs involved and joined. Our home bar is the poolroom I play out of and work at part time and we have two diamonds. Because of my schedule I can only make certain nights so tonight is maybe week 6 and I’ve played at our home bar 2/3 times and the first week played at another bar with a diamond.

The moral of the rant is tonight I walk into the bar to warm up n see 1’pool table in a tiny bar. After waiting my turn I warm up n realize immediately this might be the worst table I’ve ever seen. Not to mention there’s multiple spots thAt impede ur backswing so u either have to try n jack up or see if ur able to use a Allen Hopkins stroke. Lol regardless this is ridiculous on so many levels and should be not allowed in the league
Do your opponents play on the same table?
You could just say you ain't playing on that table then sit at the bar & drink beer, if they say $2.00, tell 'em you'll only pay $1.50 in such a dive. Show 'em who's boss!

stevelomako

Love you all!
Silver Member
We used to just pull the table away from the wall, take our shot, then shove the table back to where it was.

Who could complain about that?

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Same thing happened to me last week. Except the table wasn't level and the table and balls were filthy. When I say filthy, the 8 ball was so dirty it looked fuzzy and with a quick glance you could barely even tell it was the 8 ball. :eek:

I am sure that I lost 9 points that I should have gotten due to the table not being level. One time the cue ball rolled about 1 1/2 feet further than it should have to leave me safe before my last ball. The second time, I nipped a ball and the cue ball started rolling slowly right into the corner pocket, when it shouldn't have moved more than an inch or two.

I say that all league tables must be clean, level, and no obstructions.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did one session in a traveling bar league.
Some places i had to go out on the sidewalk to smoke and it was a little scary.
The worst was a bar that i was warned not to make eye contact with the locals or talk to the women.
That was the end of my traveling league days.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Same thing happened to me last week. Except the table wasn't level and the table and balls were filthy. When I say filthy, the 8 ball was so dirty it looked fuzzy and with a quick glance you could barely even tell it was the 8 ball. :eek:

I am sure that I lost 9 points that I should have gotten due to the table not being level. One time the cue ball rolled about 1 1/2 feet further than it should have to leave me safe before my last ball. The second time, I nipped a ball and the cue ball started rolling slowly right into the corner pocket, when it shouldn't have moved more than an inch or two.

I say that all league tables must be clean, level, and no obstructions.

[/QUOTE] I say that all league tables must be clean, level, and no obstructions [/QUOTE]

I agree with the above. One place we had to shoot at one whole side of the table is obstructed by the wall and its only 6' table!!! I bought a cheap cue and modified into an appropriate length shorty for this place. I do have kind of a cool shorty now, the one thing that always really bothered me about short cues was the weight, I made mine weigh 19oz.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love bar leagues and tables like that! What I do is play a little game and see how much I can make the terrible conditions work in my favor and against the home team.

For example, we played in this bar one time that had a HUGE roll towards the side rail. I was playing the owner of the bar (extra sweet!) and the 8-ball was blocked by the 9 ball along the rail. I shot the 8-ball very slowly towards the first dot of the end rail. It traveled in a rainbow and curved completely around the 9 and went in the corner. He was sick about it. :D

Next time we played there the table was level.

A lot of those teams feel like the tables give them a home field advantage because they know them. Using their home field advantage against them is super satisfying.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

I’m sure several of us will be able tell you of tables that we played over the years that are worse. Sorry about your luck. It happens.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=441376

Last edited:

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple of the comments were funny and made me chuckle lol. Especially the short stick I’d have to say I’m quite proficient w the short stick :)

fish on

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We used to just pull the table away from the wall, take our shot, then shove the table back to where it was.

Who could complain about that?
played in bar had to open bathroom door to get a decent stroke sometimes Ha Ha cold beer though

Last edited: