Cue centered between both eyes

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Wang Peng is playing SVB in China right now and on the shots where Wang is looking straight down the cue towards the camera it seems the cue is centered directly under hie nose. I have seen this many times, there are players that don't seem to center their cue under the dominant eye. What gives?:confused:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wang Peng is playing SVB in China right now and on the shots where Wang is looking straight down the cue towards the camera it seems the cue is centered directly under hie nose. I have seen this many times, there are players that don't seem to center their cue under the dominant eye. What gives?:confused:

Centergistics.

Freddie

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
There are different degrees or “strengths” of eye dominance. The stick might be held closer to a strongly dominant eye than a weakly dominant one.

pj <- better known as centergistics
chgo

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Do you shoot at all? I mean firearms. Some people are center dominant.

Some people are ambidextrous as well.

And you can train yourself to be either.

I shoot left or right. Pool and firearms. I also can suture left or right and do instrument or hand ties left or right.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

i think you would find this book very interesting
it discusses eye positions related to the shot line
the answer to a pool players prayers by richard kranicki
https://www.amazon.com/Answers-Players-Prayers-Richard-Kranicki/dp/1588204456

plague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you don't put your cue under your dominant eye
it's about where your vision center is

somewhere in between the eyes, usually more to one side

the vision center is what should be on the line of aim

9 out of 10 pro's also in snooker have trouble aligning themself on the line of aim
learned it the wrong way and then compensating the rest of their lives

or untrain it with help of coach

i don't usually throw about my credentials unless in case of promotion or making clear i absolutely believe in what i preach

i want to help getting some myths out
just like the one that says you need to look at point of aim on objectball upon delivery...depends per play which one of the two aiming points he (or she) feels more comfortable with

with some champions depends per shot or time of day

Dutch Olympic Committee Mastercoach
Johan Cruyff Institute of Sport Studies coach
Sightright trainer
EPBF licensed

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Interesting info guys. I heave Watched the lefty Johnny Morra shoot and he has his left eye directly over his cue. I guess that’s what works for him.

Cuebuddy > wants to shoot like JM.

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel like eye dominance is not as important as it's made out to be. When you get down on the shot you don't have to have one eye or the other directly over the cue to know whether it looks right or not. It's probably different with firearms because you have to have one eye looking through a sight or ironsites or whatever.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
you don't put your cue under your dominant eye
it's about where your vision center is

somewhere in between the eyes, usually more to one side

the vision center is what should be on the line of aim

9 out of 10 pro's also in snooker have trouble aligning themself on the line of aim
learned it the wrong way and then compensating the rest of their lives

or untrain it with help of coach

i don't usually throw about my credentials unless in case of promotion or making clear i absolutely believe in what i preach

i want to help getting some myths out
just like the one that says you need to look at point of aim on objectball upon delivery...depends per play which one of the two aiming points he (or she) feels more comfortable with

with some champions depends per shot or time of day

Dutch Olympic Committee Mastercoach
Johan Cruyff Institute of Sport Studies coach
Sightright trainer
EPBF licensed
Thanx for contributing to this thread.
I had a goatee when I was 20, I was also know for my accuracy on a 6x12...
....someone mentioned that my cue was parting my beard a little right of center.
I felt I didn't need to know that....'cause I don't look down the cue....
...I bring my cue into my vision.
I never understood why people look down their cue....it ain't got no eyes.
....and when you spin....it really seems silly.

If you've written anything on this subject, I'd really be interested in buying it....
...you are the first person that has gotten my attention on this subject.

regards
pt

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since I was very young I never thought about my 'vision center' when aiming my BB/Pellet guns. I just knew my left eye was the natural 'one' as I plinked cans, bottles, birds, squirrels etc with accuracy.

Later in life I checked. I am left eye dominate and never questioned it. Think it's one eye or the other but if your comfortable and accurate aiming 'center' on your shots then do it.

Have a good safe weekend,

-Kat,

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Since I was very young I never thought about my 'vision center' when aiming my BB/Pellet guns.
"Vision center" doesn't apply when you can get one eye directly in line with the thing you're aiming (pellet gun barrel/sight) - then you only need that eye's picture. It only applies when you're trying to sight "along" it with both eyes above it and need to combine the pictures from both eyes (pool shaft).

pj
chgo

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also think a person settles into his center naturally, likely very early in life.

Not to say it cant/ isnt developed as time passes and as activity dictates.

I did go to medical school. They tested me there...a lot.:)

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
third of the way

I tend to position the cue about one-third of the way from under my dominant eye towards the nondominant one. Checking other people I find that area is pretty common for people to place the cue stick. I used to also get very low on long thin cut shots and put the cue directly under my dominant eye. Some always shoot with the cue completely under the dominant eye, pretty sure Earl Strickland does or did. Very few in the pool world center the cue between the eyes but a few do. More common when people use center of chin as an anchor point.

I don't have a clue if any offers a real advantage as long as a person is consistent.

Hu

cscott67

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vision center........

Doesn't have anything to do with your dominant eye. The best way to find your vision center is to set up a long straight in shot and try to make the cueball stop on contact with the object ball or follow it straight into the pocket. Shoot the shot a few times the way you normally set up and note where your cue stick is in relation to your eyes/chin etc.

If you can shoot the shot and stop the ball when it hits the object ball (without sliding off left or right) your vision center is aligned correctly with the shot line. If you consistently slide off to the same side, try moving your shaft a little left or right and see if you can stop the ball consistently in place.

When you find the correct position of the shaft/head that accomplishes the task consistently, your vision center will be aligned with the shot line. It NOT ALWAYS under or near the dominant eye............ For example I am left eye dominant and shoot right handed. My vision center has the shaft more under the right side of my face.

Each person is different, and your mileage may vary depending on your stroke, grip, etc...... Doc

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
He has his cue in his personal "vision center" position. For many people, this is exactly between the eyes. Ocular dominance has very little to do with the vision center position. For more info, see:

vision center

dominant eye

Proper visual alignment is the most important fundamental of pool!

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tend to position the cue about one-third of the way from under my dominant eye towards the nondominant one. Checking other people I find that area is pretty common for people to place the cue stick. I used to also get very low on long thin cut shots and put the cue directly under my dominant eye. Some always shoot with the cue completely under the dominant eye, pretty sure Earl Strickland does or did. Very few in the pool world center the cue between the eyes but a few do. More common when people use center of chin as an anchor point.

I don't have a clue if any offers a real advantage as long as a person is consistent.

Hu

Shit, earl lines it up under an ear. Feijin too. They must be twisted inside.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Ocular dominance has very little to do with the vision center position.
Dave, this statement is counterintuitive to me. Don't players who favor one side for stick placement usually favor their dominant eye side (not necessarily under their dominant eye, but closer to it)? That would mean to me that eye dominance plays a significant role for many - although I agree it might be misleading to say it always does.

Of course, I'm going by what I've heard casually, not any careful measure...

pj
chgo