just a lil rant

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every time the word apa is mentioned on here people come out of the woodwork bashing the organization about it being full of sandbaggers. I always reply that sandbaggers are in ever league and if proper scorekeeping is utilized it would cut down on the number of players that are under handicapped.

I happen to like apa and am a big supporter of their efforts to curb sandbagging. I have stressed to every one on my team that keeps score to always mark defensive shots. I cannot control how other teams keep score but I thought I could control my people ....until this weekend.

Last night we played a new team that had several new players. I wound up playing 8 ball vs a woman who started out as a 3. It quickly became obvious this woman is definitely better than a 3. She had a half dozen well played safes and several 2 way shots that were well beyond and legit apa 3. I did however manage to win 4-0 in a 4-2 race due to some well played safes myself.after my match was over I grabbed the scoresheet to look it over and determine who to throw next. I was surprised to see not a single safe marked for her or myself. lets just say I let him know I was not a happy camper and I marked all the safes myself. Later on I lectured the whole team about what transpired on the scoresheet and told them that I always hear complaining from them about this persons or that persons handicap and that they and every one else that fails to mark safes is the root cause of someone being under handicapped.

Today at our 8 ball best of the rest tournament the same damn thing happened again. I was in a knock down drag out fight to win 4-1 in a 4-3 race. This 4 played 10 safes on me and only 2 were marked. Lemme just say I was livid and went off telling the scorekeeper that opponent is playing like a 5...same as me and yet I am spotting him a rack in a match where the outcome could mean the difference in our team going to ltc's ...or not.

I gotta get my players out if being so damn lazy or inattentive or whatever their problem is. I know a lot if tens dont bother marking safes but i am trying to make sure my team is not one of them.

Rant over...back to regularly scheduled what the best chalk etc.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rant...

Rant...

Rant...

The whole APA thing is a joke.

When you have people who are 3s keeping score and don't even know what a safe is, how do you expect them to know when a 3 on the table is playing a safe?

In order for someone to actually "determine" if a player is playing safe, the player should have to announce before they shoot.

The whole APA is mostly BANGERS. From what I've seen over the years, nobody even tries to teach anybody anything for the most part.

It is a social club where bangers get together to discuss how their LD shaft works so well and they can't run two balls. That, and standing around in the way between tables and drinking beer and bullshitting.

That's my rant.

If the APA were actually attempting to make people "pool players", they would have free weekly clinics where the supposed "pool players" in the league would instruct them.

Last edited:

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When you have people who are 3s keeping score and don't even know what a safe is, how do you expect them to know when a 3 on the table is playing a safe?

In order for someone to actually "determine" if a player is playing safe, the player should have to announce before they shoot.

The whole APA is mostly BANGERS. From what I've seen over the years, nobody even tries to teach anybody anything for the most part.

It is a social club where bangers get together to discuss how their LD shaft works so well and they can't run two balls. That, and standing around in the way between tables and drinking beer and bullshitting.

That's my rant.

If the APA were actually attempting to make people "pool players", they would have free weekly clinics where the supposed "pool players" in the league would instruct them.

Wow all that over league play .... Did you even go to Vegas for APA ? Please tell me you made it.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's my rant.

I will admit you have described some members of apa....and damn near every other league out there also. Yet there are an untold number that are exactly the opposite.

I have 2 teams and no one drinks on me team and 2 on the other have a few drinks. I have seen my lo ban a few drunks. You would be surprised at how many could run more than 2 balls. Its not that hard to determine the intent of the shooter....offense or defense.....simple as that.

The apa has a you tube channel with several instructors such as tom rossman and Mitch ellerman for those so inclined to learn to improve. It also has a video for determining what a defensive shot is.

The apa seems to have steps in place to address every thing negative that you mentioned. I do realize amateur leagues are not for every one but they do help keep venues open so every one who wishes can enjoy the game.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow all that over league play .... Did you even go to Vegas for APA ? Please tell me you made it.

I've never played APA, but I played a league for two years in ND and had the highest ratings and averages in the entire state.

We have an APA here and they have sent teams and individuals to Vegas. I can play with the best of them. Nobody spots me anything.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 2 teams and no one drinks on me team and 2 on the other have a few drinks. I have seen my lo ban a few drunks.

The drinking isn't the problem.

I've drank my fair share and still beat everybody in the house.

The lack of pool shooting is.

Some of them come to "socialize" and pool is "secondary". The pool part is just something they do between the times they are away from their friends on the side and sitting on the side looking at their cell phones.

I don't need to be told about them. I see them EVERY Sunday and know what they do.

Tons of them come over to ask me to show them things and teach them things. Sometimes, if they come early before their league starts, I will bring them to my table and help them...for FREE. I don't see anybody in the APA, who is taking their money, teaching them anything for FREE.

Why not?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yea I made it to Vegas once but that is not what my post is about. My rant is over people not using what apa has put it in place properly to ensure accurate skill levels.

Its not just about me but my entire team sufferes the consequences if I am spotting some one who i should be playing even.

As for me personally .....i am not afraid to play any one even . I joined masters as a 4 and played the best in town even up in a race to 7. Sure I tool my lumps when I first started but over time I managed to win a rack here and there and then worked my way up to winning matches.on any given night.

To me ....winning a handicapped match by 3-4 in a 3-5 race vs a 7 is no big deal. Winning an even race to 7 vs the best in town is a big deal to me...being a 5/6.

Playing in a team tournament where every one on the team is relying on you to win a match spotting a player you should be playing even is a big deal to me. But I guess anyone who has never played on a team could understand the difference..

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
. Master .

Baiter.

Yes APA is gayer than 3 dogs ****ing. Different strokes for different folks though.
Some love it for what is, and to them that's pool. Patches, handicapping, trying to figure out what player to put, etc.. That's big time for some people. APA is very interactive, and allows players to participate in a number of roles. Sucks em right in.
99% of these players never see the other side of pool, and that's fine too.
Worst part of the APA is people running it. As mentioned there is no interest from them, in furthering pool, teaching pool, etc.. Rake in the dough, hand out patches, everybody gets a trophy, fits right in with today's snowflake, millenials mentality.
I hate APA btw.
1 session cured me for life :grin:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its not that hard to determine the intent of the shooter....offense or defense.....simple as that.

How about a two-way shot?

If a person shoots and misses, is it offensive or defensive?

It is offense if he makes it.

Is it defense if he misses it and hooks you?

In pool, I think you should have to call every shot, but I'm in the minority. I don't think you should have to call kisses, off the rail, etc...but you should call the pocket. I will play it as "technical" as you want, but it isn't necessary.

I keep asking people to play "next ball", but nobody wants to play that.

You have to call the ball and pocket for your current shot and the ball and pocket for your next shot before you shoot. If you make the first shot and screw up your position for the second shot, you still have to go for the hole you originally called or play a safe. You aren't allowed to shoot it into another hole or pocket another ball.

That teaches you cue ball control or you get your ass kicked in a hurry.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member

In pool, I think you should have to call every shot, but I'm in the minority. I don't think you should have to call kisses, off the rail, etc...but you should call the pocket. I will play it as "technical" as you want, but it isn't necessary.

You have to call the ball and pocket for your current shot and the ball and pocket for your next shot before you shoot. If you make the first shot and screw up your position for the second shot, you still have to go for the hole you originally called or play a safe. You aren't allowed to shoot it into another hole or pocket another ball.

I like it.

I've been asked countless times through the years to teach playing position. And I have always stressed mapping out the entire run before ever playing the first ball. And I've had people tell me "Oh, no... that's too difficult for people to grasp. You should tell them to just think 3 balls ahead, not the entire rack." To which I respond "The easier you make it on yourself, the less value your time has." Even if you end up not following your roadmap past the 3 or 4 ball due to getting out of line, etc, you're at least starting with what I consider to be the correct mind-set. If you're going on a trip, you don't map out only the first 40 miles. You map out A to Z. And you may in fact get sidetracked by an occasional tourist trap, etc, but there is a certain peace of mind in knowing when you pulled out of your driveway, you had your entire trip mapped out. I firmly believe that holds true in playing position. Know where whitey is going from A to Z before ever addressing the first ball. And then do your best to get there on each shot.

So calling 2 shots at a time I think is a great way to play. I've never heard of it before but *I'd* play it. I'd even play three at a time.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Using safes and innings as a way to rank players is just begging for players to mess with the system. Don't know who thought of the fact that only good players can try to play a safe, any D and C player that learns how to play pool should know what a safe is. It's like telling basketball players they are pros and can't play at the YMCA team because they know what a 3 point shot is and try to shoot it. APA rules always sounds like someone tried to mix bar rules with the world standard rules because they thought their players were to dumb to understand things. All the time I hear "we are not pros" when I try to explain real pool rules to those that either only know APA rules or just made up rules their dad taught them. Like it's that hard to explain what a called shot is or what a push out is.

I like how the USAPL keeps score, you win, you get points for the win. And done.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
planning ahead

I have always planned the entire run myself. Never understood teaching people to play three balls ahead. In reality they have two choices. Shoot three balls without a clue what is next or add a ball and position after every shot. That disrupts flow. I prefer the entire inning, to a runout or planned safety, to feel like one continuous motion. Can't do that and be regrouping and planning after every shot.

Which reminds me, seems like Lorider is handicapping himself counting safes and two-way shots and such when he is supposed to be at the table to play pool! Also seems like his rating might be a little low himself. :D

Hu

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always planned the entire run myself. Never understood teaching people to play three balls ahead. In reality they have two choices. Shoot three balls without a clue what is next or add a ball and position after every shot. That disrupts flow. I prefer the entire inning, to a runout or planned safety, to feel like one continuous motion. Can't do that and be regrouping and planning after every shot.

Which reminds me, seems like Lorider is handicapping himself counting safes and two-way shots and such when he is supposed to be at the table to play pool! Also seems like his rating might be a little low himself. :D

Hu

I figure out where I'm going to put the game ball and then work backwards to obtain the angles I need to get there.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I am well aware of a 2 way shot and even mentioned it in my op. I always give the shooter the benefit of the doubt. I only mark obvious safties.

I like to think I have high moral standards. I dont believe in hustling....sharking.....dumping....sandbagging .....and not marking a scoresheet properly. If other teams or players choose to do that so be it but I expect my team mates to do their part to ensure every thing is marked and that is what my rant was about.

Yea I like apa....for what it is. Just because I play apa does not mean I dont care about improving or playing my best everytime.

It does not bother me to play by any rules....as long as my opponent knows the rules also. I have played bcapl.....Napa....tap and usapl. As you can see ...i don't have a problem playing by call shot rules....having played in bars most of my life i actually prefer them . However if i want to play pool in a competitive environment with a team I am limited to apa and thus I make the most of it.

I guess my rant is due to I expect my team mates to have the same standards I do.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
yup!

I figure out where I'm going to put the game ball and then work backwards to obtain the angles I need to get there.

I worked backwards and then forwards through the patterns at first after awhile I just seemed to see it all at once. I was playing chess three moves ahead all pieces early in the game expanding to four or five moves ahead deeper into the game. I could play chess for hours at work with small interruptions when I couldn't play pool. I think all of the pattern recognition bled over to pool after awhile.

Hu

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Using safes and innings as a way to rank players is just begging for players to mess with the system. Don't know who thought of the fact that only good players can try to play a safe, any D and C player that learns how to play pool should know what a safe is. It's like telling basketball players they are pros and can't play at the YMCA team because they know what a 3 point shot is and try to shoot it. APA rules always sounds like someone tried to mix bar rules with the world standard rules because they thought their players were to dumb to understand things. All the time I hear "we are not pros" when I try to explain real pool rules to those that either only know APA rules or just made up rules their dad taught them. Like it's that hard to explain what a called shot is or what a push out is.

I like how the USAPL keeps score, you win, you get points for the win. And done.

not trying to give you a history lesson but at one time these " real " pool rules you speak of had 8 ball as a slop game even at the pro level ...along with take what you make.

Over time bcapl.....tap and other leagues have changed or modified rules to make the game easier...apa has adhered to the rules the were in effect when it started and did not make them up due to being a banger league as so many people think.

When I mention making the game easier I am referring to ...scratch on the 8 is not a loss.....bih anywhere on the table after a scratch on the break....open break..

Other than slop....which you just dont see much of from 5's and above apa rules make it harder to have a break and run or a table run in 8 ball.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hu

Guilty as charged. :D i have been accused of sandbagging countless times which is not true.

Honestly....consistency or lack of hinders me from a higher rating I believe. Especially in 9 ball. When my break is working i can hang with any one but the skill level 9's but when it is not i am in for a rough night. I have 29% disability in my shooting hand and some nights its like a dull toothache and other nights it may be like some one stuck a knife in it. I never take medication.....for anything. I just grin and bear it. Been that way all my life. Hard to play your best when your shooting hand hurts due to nerve damage. There have been times my cue slips out of my hand while stroking causing a foul . Not very often it happens but has occurred at inopportune times in a match. I always carry my cue in my other hand to avoid dropping it when not shooting.

As for the keeping track of safes and such....not all the time but definitely against new players to get a better judge of their handicap.

Last edited:

cscott67

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lo........

Food for thought.........
Each league is different along with the establishments the game is played in. The APA set-up is geared for low to intermediate players. Most of the time in matches they are paired against better players that ARE teaching them while they play. Imagine being a 9 in masters and spotting a 5 four games going to seven!!! (a complete joke on an easy table where the 9 is giving up more than 50% of the match without shooting a ball) There are very few "even matches."

From my experience the operators and owners police their own so THEIR pet teams get to Vegas every year. Sometime it works out for them, sometimes not. The sandbagging is endless.......... And they DO make decisions that benefit them and their teams. I play in it once a week when I work out of town to help a friends team and usually head-hunt the other 9s. I dont mind showing players things or being called over to coach a shot. I do feel that coaching is probably something that hurts the skill level standards because a 9 coaching a 5 is not a 5 playing on their own........ Roma Victor, Doc

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
LO, I feel your pain, I’ve seen and been a part of this conversation before. What I’ve
learned is that you simply can’t control other people or human response. It is what it is.
All I can do is mind my own corner. That is to say, when I’m the score keeper I mark
everything I consider to be a safety according to APA rules and I do my best to keep
accurate track of innings. If the score keeper on the other team doesn’t agree, well,
that’s their problem and anyone else’s that wants to make a fuss about it. See, in spite
of what the APA says about keeping score and giving your best effort, people will do
what people will do, in the end you can only control what you do. If you surround yourself
with people that you trust and let them know what you expect then you’ve really done all
you can. Maybe there’s some learning to do, but you have to trust them. When I play, if
a score keeper asks me if that shot was a defense, my response is always, “did you
think it was a defense?” If they thought it was I expect them to mark it down. If they
appear to be confused I’ll always tell the that where it says defense, just write down ‘Yes’.
You can’t make yourself the shot or defense police, you can just be what you consider
yourself to be and act honestly.
In the APA, and every other league and in money sessions you will find sandbagging
as well. If you think there isn’t sandbagging in a money set tell me how else you set
up a fish.
It is what it is, there’s really nothing you can do about it, there’s nothing the administrators
can do about it. Poolplayers whine whenever they lose, in leagues it might seem to be
a little worse, the tables, the equipment, not my playing cue, the felt was dirty, the table
ain’t level, and finally - “freakin’ sangbagger”.
In the end you can only play and keep score the way you do, there will be good nights
and bad nights. As league players in any league we’re charged with keeping track of
our own scores. Some of us are are very conscious and honest with that duty, some are
not. See, we’re not the league scoring police, we’re just the players and this is just a game
and it’s supposed to be fun, just be your best, even that varies from night to night

Last edited: