I don't consider pool on a bar table to be pool

ndakotan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Griffin is an icon of the game and we all appreciate his efforts but as much as I love to watch world class pool I will not be going to the pro CSI events at the Rio, although it's an easy drive for me since I live in Phoenix, because I can't stand pro level players playing on a seven foot table. To me this is a joke. The ability to shoot at distance is what separates the men from the boys. Make that 12 foot shot on the Bigfoot pal, let me see what you've got.

It's either break and run out or break and be snookered. Why is Efren not the dominate force he used to be, because it can't make the long ball anymore on a consistent basis. That's what pool is all about.

How do others feel about this? My view is 9 foot is fine, 10 foot even better.

I think idiotic posts like this are why I don't intentionally read posts any more. I usually just look for the funny gif posts and get out. I have no options other than 7' bar tables, so that is what I play on. If you want to disrespect my choice of hobby, there is nothing I can do about it but think "what a toadstool". Pool is dying because of a loss of respect, period.

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Mark, I have responded to you by private message and welcome the opportunity to meet with you. Once again I am amazed by the venom that my personal view of WATCHING PROFESSIONAL POOL on a seven foot table is something that my brother and I chose not to do.

I completely understand your financial considerations. I agree with your assessment of the current state of pool. I agree with everything you say. I don't disagree with anything you say. I SIMPLY WILL NOT PAY MONEY TO WATCH THE BEST PLAYERS IN THE WORLD PLAY ON BAR TABLES. I have no interest in this.

This is all I am saying, I have no problem with people who play on bar tables. I have not insulted people who play on bar tables.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Mark, I have responded to you by private message and welcome the opportunity to meet with you. Once again I am amazed by the venom that my personal view of WATCHING PROFESSIONAL POOL on a seven foot table is something that my brother and I chose not to do.

I completely understand your financial considerations. I agree with your assessment of the current state of pool. I agree with everything you say. I don't disagree with anything you say. I SIMPLY WILL NOT PAY MONEY TO WATCH THE BEST PLAYERS IN THE WORLD PLAY ON BAR TABLES. I have no interest in this.

This is all I am saying, I have no problem with people who play on bar tables. I have not insulted people who play on bar tables.

I have no desire to watch pro players play on 7 footers either. It is simply easier to run out on a 7 footer especially when you are used to 9 footers. I just don't get the same satisfaction running out on a 7 footer that I get on a 9 footer. Just no way around it. Wish it were different but there you go.

schon267

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think pro pool should played on 9 footers but I also they shouldnt be playing a bs game like Texas express 9 ball lol that being said I play almost all bar box because that's all there is anymore. As long as people are playing a cue sport I don't care what there playing on. :thumbup:

texas express was the downfall of 9 ball! they only came up with it to speed the game . ball in hand behind the line on the break, spot all balls pocketed on a foul, these things created more strategy in running out, not make 3 balls on break and scratch, opponent has easy 6 ball run out with ball in hand. bring back the real 9 ball. my opinion anyway

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the key is to have all table sizes available like we do. Pool played the best way is on 9 footers sure. I hate playing on barboxes. But the barboxes serve needs too and they help our sport.

Pool won't live or die based on the size of our tables. But we need help anywhere we can get it these days. Until we can fix the real issue of our sports lack of popularity on TV/money/etc., we should embrace anything that gets more people to play.

In some respects, barboxes are good for the game. For example, imagine the casual low-ranked league players being forced to play on a snooker table every Wednesday night. They'd never make a ball and alot of them would just quit which is no good for us. Similar affect on a 9 footer for alot of people. At least on the small tables they make balls and have fun playing the game.

ndakotan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
peace

I just saw the title "I don't consider pool on a bar table to be pool", and perused the post. Sorry I over-reacted, but the title itself is inflammatory lends itself to negative thoughts on barbox pool (I'm assuming lots of people only read the titles). Most people will never have access to professional tables, many pros started out on bar boxes, and the game needs barboxes to be successful. I understand that the 9' and 10' tables give you pros more competition, and I understand what you are saying, but perhaps changes to the rules or game could make it more competitive for pros.

I don't consider 9 ball to be a good competition game on any size table, especially with the golden break, just having to make 1 or 2 balls to win a game, and luck playing such a big part. Maybe pros should be playing 15 ball rotation on 7' or 9' (or change some rules)?

After I read it again, I realized who you are, and from what I've seen you are trying to improve pool's image, so thanks for that. Peace

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
The 7 foot table is the only thing saving the game.

shhhhhh, folks don't like the truth. Just keep repeating, "its not real pool, it's not real pool, its not real pool'

For the folks that don't think 7 foots are real pool, have you ever won a state or national championship yet? I mean, how hard could it be on a 7 footer ;)

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to live in Bartlesville, OK. We had (3) 9' Gold Crowns , (1) 9' Diamond & about (8) 7' Bar Boxes. When we had big tournaments, the Winner's bracket started on the Big Tables, The "Lost 1" side started on the Bar Boxes. Fun was had by all. I played on those Big tables 5-6 nights a week, heads up, ring games & tournaments. I was having fun at the age of 60.

Then I moved to Tulsa & most of the activity is on Bar Boxes... I'm still having fun, because the competition level went up & I got older. Now I play GOLF on a 10 Foot Kling with a full ball roll off, but I've adapted & still having fun.

I understand the puritanism of playing on the big tables & I vote (partially) for that. Howsomever, in lieu of my Pool Room closing the doors, because of the price of a square foot of real estate, I'll play on Bar Boxes rather than QUIT playing. Keep them doors open.

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member
I say let it die a dignified death then

Over my dead body. And I'm pretty sure several dozens of millions of bar players in the world are supporting me on this. We are feeding most of the pool business today, and if pool is ever to return to its former glory, the manpower will come from our ranks. Where do you think the majority of the pros started out?

I'm sorry your pool world currently isn't what it used to be. But try to mess with our domain and it won't end well.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there any Accu Stats that compare pros playing on different size tables? Big stink gets made about this and that but the stats usually tell a different story.

d_day

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pros playing on bar boxes is IMHO unwatchable garbage. I'd rather watch paint dry. It isn't even interesting to play. Having spent my entire pool life playing on 9 footers and an occational 8 footer, mixed with snooker on 6*12s and some carom on 5*10s, it's always a huge letdown to play on bar tables. I keep asking myself why anyone would find that game enjoyable compared to large table games, and the only real answer I can think of is that they don't know any better. Maybe they never played on large table or had little success when they did? Some people are wired differently, and I'll never understand what makes them tick (I realize that), but reading this forum has me puzzled sometimes

I remember the first time I watched an excellent player perform a real stroke shot on a 4.5*9 and becoming instantly hooked on the game of pool. It was on a well kept table with fast cloth and super glossy Centennial balls. The bending path of the cueball on that shot, the way the ball picked up speed with the english grabbing the rail I was mesmerized and fascinated. Most people would be surprised and maybe impressed by the feats that can be accomplished by a great player on a large, well kept table, but they will probably never get to see it. The sad thing is that I think everyone on this forum has seen it, yet many chose to play on inferior equipment.:confused:

Then I contrast that with the typical unlevel bartable with beaten to death and mismatched balls, rough cloth and dead or oversized (or even worse, severely undersized) cue ball. To me that's not the same game, it's not beautiful at all. Punting the ball around on a tiny, unlevel surface that some wasted biker has puked, bled, spilled his beer or otherwise expelled bodily fluids all over, possibly at the same time, is not my idea of fun. Nor is beeing jostled by bar flies while trying to form a proper bridge on a suspiciously sticky rail with a cue that's been chalked with a no less suspect piece of chalk, that for some reason is always moist..Even if the tables are perfectly maintained it is still a limiting game, and in fact may become even less interesting, if you can believe it. It's boring, crude and lame and can only be favourably compared to darts or bowling (barely). No wait I take it back, I'd much rather bowl or throw darts, and that's really saying something.

You've obviously never seen someone make one of those majestic curving stroke shots with an oversized cue ball. It's an absolute wonder to watch.

Banks

Banned
Then I contrast that with the typical unlevel bartable with beaten to death and mismatched balls, rough cloth and dead or oversized (or even worse, severely undersized) cue ball. To me that's not the same game, it's not beautiful at all. Punting the ball around on a tiny, unlevel surface that some wasted biker has puked, bled, spilled his beer or otherwise expelled bodily fluids all over, possibly at the same time, is not my idea of fun. Nor is beeing jostled by bar flies while trying to form a proper bridge on a suspiciously sticky rail with a cue that's been chalked with a no less suspect piece of chalk, that for some reason is always moist..Even if the tables are perfectly maintained it is still a limiting game, and in fact may become even less interesting, if you can believe it. It's boring, crude and lame and can only be favourably compared to darts or bowling (barely). No wait I take it back, I'd much rather bowl or throw darts, and that's really saying something.

This statement makes me wonder how many pairs of dentures have been left on the rail of a hall's table. How many diapers have been rubbing up against it. No offense, of course, but my idea of atmosphere does not include the smell of mothballs and dead skin. Don't even get me started on wondering how many people have taken their last breath on those tables. Yeah, then to top it off, they want $10/hr or more for something that last saw professional hands a decade ago? I'd rather play at the bar with people whose idea of a fun game doesn't involve deliberation for ten minutes between shots. I also get a kick out of how many "big table" players have a hard time beating those lesser barbox players.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Over my dead body. And I'm pretty sure several dozens of millions of bar players in the world are supporting me on this. We are feeding most of the pool business today, and if pool is ever to return to its former glory, the manpower will come from our ranks. Where do you think the majority of the pros started out?

I'm sorry your pool world currently isn't what it used to be. But try to mess with our domain and it won't end well.

Lol.
I understand your (our) love of the game, however, the game played on bar tables by the masses is not the game we grew up loving and never will be. I wish I was wrong.

People asking for stats comparing 7' and 9' have obviously never played on a 9' table.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Lol.
People asking for stats comparing 7' and 9' have obviously never played on a 9' table.

Heck, I grew up in my dads poolroom with 9's, I have a niner in my basement, but I'll play on a 7 footer any day or the week and twice on Sunday. Pool is Pool.

As most folks know by now, I LOVE baseball, the only thing I like more than pool. We played hard ball fast pitch, if we had pick up games we'd play "lob ball" where you could not pitch fast cause we didn't have helmets or catching gear with us, or if not enough players, and it was just mano e mano, we'd go the liquor store parking lot, paint a square box on the side of the building, and play with a rubber baseball, if you hit the "box" it was a strike, and based on how far you hit the ball it was either a single, double, triple or homer.

Heck, sometimes we'd just play homerun derby, and stand at the pitchers mound and who ever hit the most over the fence won. Or if we could not leave the house, we'd break out the wiffle ball, and have a game with some of the neighbor kids in the alley.

If didn't matter, it was baseball, organized or not, or whatever form it shaped into, we had a glove, bat and a ball, and we'd make it work. It was fun. We just loved the game.

But some folks are gonna argue over 24 lousy inches ? Play the game, whatever it is. Good players can play on anything, just ask SVB and Earl ;) Two of the games greatest.

Last edited: