Layered tip like a Triangle?

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to give another layered tip a try. I'd like it to feel and play about how a triangle tip plays. I like my tips firm.

Could someone recommend something? I'm wondering if I should give a Kamui Black Medium another try. I didn't like it when I first tried it, but I was coming back from a VERY long hiatus. In retrospect, I think it was close, but is there something even better to do what I want?

Thanks!

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to give another layered tip a try. I'd like it to feel and play about how a triangle tip plays. I like my tips firm.

Could someone recommend something? I'm wondering if I should give a Kamui Black Medium another try. I didn't like it when I first tried it, but I was coming back from a VERY long hiatus. In retrospect, I think it was close, but is there something even better to do what I want?

Thanks!

Close to Triangle.....Tiger Everest
For Kamui......try medium brown clear.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree about Kamui Original. Either M or Hard should be really close to what you are looking for. Pechauer Gold Medium might be another one worth trying.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Close to Triangle.....Tiger Everest
For Kamui......try medium brown clear.

I thought the Everest was a softer tip, and that the black Kamuis were generally a little harder than the brown? I'm not doubting you. These layered tips are all new to me. I've always shot with a Le Pro and just recently switched when I came back to it because I can't seem to find one anymore that isn't a piece of crap (maybe 1 in 10 is good, and the rest are garbage). That's when I switched to Triangle and fell in love with them. I can't believe I went so long without trying one. Anyhow, I'm just asking to clarify my own understanding, and these stupid things are so expensive that it's really starting to cost a pretty penny trying them all out.

My only gripe with Triangle is that I have some trouble finding good triangles too, and they seem to require constant maintenance on the edges. They keep developing fuzzies that I have to constantly trim and burnish. I've even tried super glue on the sides, and it helps a little, but it's still a constant problem.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought the Everest was a softer tip, and that the black Kamuis were generally a little harder than the brown? I'm not doubting you. These layered tips are all new to me. I've always shot with a Le Pro and just recently switched when I came back to it because I can't seem to find one anymore that isn't a piece of crap (maybe 1 in 10 is good, and the rest are garbage). That's when I switched to Triangle and fell in love with them. I can't believe I went so long without trying one. Anyhow, I'm just asking to clarify my own understanding, and these stupid things are so expensive that it's really starting to cost a pretty penny trying them all out.

My only gripe with Triangle is that I have some trouble finding good triangles too, and they seem to require constant maintenance on the edges. They keep developing fuzzies that I have to constantly trim and burnish. I've even tried super glue on the sides, and it helps a little, but it's still a constant problem.

All good points except the Everest is a medium hard. The better players here. Nelson Olivera, Jarod Clowry and Mike Dechaine prefer the medium brown clear over the black. They claim the black gets to hard. On lepros...you are spot on. For triangles, find the ones that look bluish grey. They're good. The ones that are brown. I trash them. I just got rid of a supplier that I specified exactly what I was looking for on Triangles. They shipped junk wouldn't take them back. Thanks....fired.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, thanks guys. I'll give the Everest or Kamui brown medium a try. I wish the Everest didn't have that stupid red pad. How distracting. Ditto for the clear Kamuis. That was the one I tried, and I could never get over seeing that clear pad.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can get Kamui without the clear acryllic pad.
Or you could try G2 or Zan...

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, thanks guys. I'll give the Everest or Kamui brown medium a try. I wish the Everest didn't have that stupid red pad. How distracting. Ditto for the clear Kamuis. That was the one I tried, and I could never get over seeing that clear pad.

I asked Tiger. The answer was....so people know when to change the tip. That's about the most idiotic thing I ever heard. Why not just tell people they think they're to stupid to know when thier tip needs to be changed.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I asked Tiger. The answer was....so people know when to change the tip. That's about the most idiotic thing I ever heard. Why not just tell people they think they're to stupid to know when thier tip needs to be changed.

I don't care what Kamui says......... the clear piece has no function except to squeeze a few more dollars out of you because it looks unique.

Kim

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'll probably just color it with a black marker. I used to do that on tips anyway just to make it nice and even, and get rid of distractions. After a couple of times doing that and burnishing, my experience is that is more or less is permanent. I haven't been brave enough to try black leather dye yet.

Yeah, that is pretty stupid, btw.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't care what Kamui says......... the clear piece has no function except to squeeze a few more dollars out of you because it looks unique.

Kim

I don't care what kamui says either. Pro players on the other hand. I listen a little. Lol

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I like the clear pads. They glue very well, and protect the end of the cue. They look cool, too. :thumbup2:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The closest thing to a Triangle in a layered tip is the Sniper.

customcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Zan HybridMax

Played triangel tips before changed to layered tips myself.
If I remember right for the hardnes, grip and feeling on the stroke
I'd go now with the ZAN HybridMax. It's a hard tip with the grip
from a medium tip.

Albatross Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aloha

Contact Tom Hay, I think you will find what you are looking for in the Ultra Skins tips, no BS, just a great tip at a good price...!

Aloha