A World Champion in all cue sports disciplines

O'SulliReyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.thehypertexts.com/Harold Worst Pool Billiards the Best.htm

Reading the above article, I am amazed by how Harold Worst was able to allegedly play the three main cue sports disciplines at world-class level at such a young age and over a short period of time.

This made me think. We live in a time where you see an ever-increasing trend of cross-discipline participation. Take for example the recent Chinese 8-ball tournaments where you see top snooker players trying their hand in 8-ball. The current World Snooker Champion Mark Selby came in 2nd to Darren Appleton at the 2015 World Chinese 8-ball Championships. Steve Davis and Tony Drago were also pretty competitive in the early 00s, the latter of which was even able to win a Masters title. Efren Reyes was a formidable 3-cushion billiards player when he was young, and the skill set he developed from playing 3C helped him a lot in rotation in later years. The only successful crossover we don't really hear about, if at all, is a pool player transitioning to snooker or 3C.

Now let's discuss.
1. Do you think we will ever get to see an individual who can play at world-class level, or even be a World Champion, in all the three cue sports disciplines?
2. If so, when do you think that will happen?
3. What would need to happen for that scenario to take place?
4. What cue sport would that player be primarily playing?
5. If such scenario is unlikely to happen, why?

Other than Worst, the only player I heard who allegedly plays world-class at all games was Efren. According to Daryl Peach, he once beat Ronnie O'Sullivan and Jimmy White on one encounter with a pool cue, and made 3 century breaks. Efren by the way is a former SEA Games Gold medalist for snooker and he himself claims that he beat O'Sullivan back in 1991 (w/handicap) and his highest ever break was 132. Not bad for someone with a stroke that would confound today's snooker coaches.

Last edited:

d0ser

Registered
Maybe if Ga Young Kim picks up Snooker? I've seen her play 3C (which isn't surprising since she's Korean) and obviously a great 9-ball shooter.

As far as men go, probably not. I think, just like in other sports, we're entering this era where single-sport focus is more prevalent. I'm sure there's reasons for this specialty to take place but it does put a damper on things. For now, I'm happy when I see some crossover from 9-ball to one pocket.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
If it were to happen, it would most likely be snooker player who switches to the other games because the level of play in snooker now is just too high for players from other disciplines to come in be competitive.
And we probably won't see that happen because a world champion snooker player has almost no incentive to stop playing snooker and take up another game where the prize money is a tenth of what he could make playing snooker.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now let's discuss.
1. Do you think we will ever get to see an individual who can play at world-class level, or even be a World Champion, in all the three cue sports disciplines?

Do you Man or Woman?
For a man to achieve this, all cue-sports mentioned would have to be worth their while to learn and master. E.G. IMO Ronnie O'Sullivan should achieve this if the financial motivation was present today. But it is not...
:thumbup:

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.thehypertexts.com/Harold Worst Pool Billiards the Best.htm

Reading the above article, I am amazed by how Harold Worst was able to allegedly play the three main cue sports disciplines at world-class level at such a young age and over a short period of time.

This made me think. We live in a time where you see an ever-increasing trend of cross-discipline participation. Take for example the recent Chinese 8-ball tournaments where you see top snooker players trying their hand in 8-ball. The current World Snooker Champion Mark Selby came in 2nd to Darren Appleton at the 2015 World Chinese 8-ball Championships. Steve Davis and Tony Drago were also pretty competitive in the early 00s, the latter of which was even able to win a Masters title. Efren Reyes was a formidable 3-cushion billiards player when he was young, and the skill set he developed from playing 3C helped him a lot in rotation in later years. The only successful crossover we don't really hear about, if at all, is a pool player transitioning to snooker or 3C.

Now let's discuss.
2. If so, when do you think that will happen?
3. What would need to happen for that scenario to take place?
4. What cue sport would that player be primarily playing?
5. If such scenario is unlikely to happen, why?

Other than Worst, the only player I heard who allegedly plays world-class at all games was Efren. According to Daryl Peach, he once beat Ronnie O'Sullivan and Jimmy White on one encounter with a pool cue, and made 3 century breaks. Efren by the way is a former SEA Games Gold medalist for snooker and he himself claims that he beat O'Sullivan back in 1991 (w/handicap) and his highest ever break was 132. Not bad for someone with a stroke that would confound today's snooker coaches.

But just to complete the circle, there is a youtube video of Efren getting beat at 9-ball by Blomdahl.

The thing I would love to see is top level snooker players playing 14.1.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Reyes is the greatest living all-rounder. Here is a video with him and Blomdahl (who is great at both carom and pool). Here they are playing 9-ball:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh3r1_DIyTg
Here they are playing 3-cushion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm2vSjJkypY

I think the transition from pool to carom and the other way around is easier than the transition from pool/carom to snooker. Snooker is just a bit too different, with the small balls and different cushions, not to mention the high level of competition. Snooker players have competed at top levels in pool on many occations, but I don't think they have played much 3-cushion?

Last edited: