Where should I go to become a Pro.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a good friend in Serbia, his name is Boris Vidakovic. Maybe he can help you in your quest to become a Professional. He is very good player & a celebrated Instructor-Coach. He has sponsors too.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey there,

I'd like to become a pro player. I'm pretty sure that I have what it takes to become one.
The problem is, I live in a place where pool is pretty much dead (my birthplace).
We only have one pool hall here (it's an island in Spain), almost no good players around and almost no tournaments going on.

I usually just practice at home on my table with 3 inch pockets. I am willing to move somewhere else to make this dream come true, somewhere where I can play with people who are better than me and where I can improve my game.

I thought about going to the US but it's almost impossible for me to get a visa.
I also thought about going to Taiwan for a while, since I see great players coming from there like Ko pin yi.

What do you guys think?
I'm European so I can go anywhere in Europe without the need of a visa, but I'm not a big fan of Europe to be honest.

Thanks for the input.

Move now to one of the big European cities.
You're not moving there forever, just to play pool and get into tournament action
If you ever reach pro-status, you will have to move anyways to play in tournaments.

I get the impression that you have no marriage or children ties to the island.
So fly away, Rin.

After a while, when you decide to move again, forego Taiwan. Move to China instead.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where should I go to become a Pro.
Unless you have a lot of money you will go to the poor house.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I thought about going to the US but it's almost impossible for me to get a visa.

If you're a Spanish citizen, the US has a visa waiver program. You can stay for up to 90 days with no visa.

The thing to do would be to carefully plan a trip that took in a series of tournaments. Between the West Coast Mezz Tour, BCA Las Vegas (with all sorts of events and min events), and a lot of regional tournaments, you would be able to play nearly every week during certain times of the year on a well planned trip to California, Arizona and Nevada. In the Fall there are those tournaments in Toronto, Canada (not sure if it's open) and the US Open. In the winter we have Derby City, which is many tournaments in one. Another thing you could consider is migrating to Canada, then visiting the US for shorter stays. If you decide North America, you're going to have to travel to play anyway.

Even if you are dynamite, you will need to play in a lot of regional events to find out how good you really are. My guess is without the proper competition, you will not have developed the quality of game you need to compete here. The good players are a lot tougher than most people realize.

Last edited:

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The UK has plenty of players that should be Pro, but for what ever reason they've chosen not to pursue it.

LOL........$$$$$$$$$

As in NO money.

Better spend your time going to school, get a degree and become a pro in that field than spend all day playing pool and make 10k a year if you're lucky.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Chris,
A lot of people are saying this country and that country, but the truth is that a lot of European players (and others) come to AMERICA because there is more money to be won there.

A very successful lawyer once told me, "Earn while you learn."

JoeyA

If you're a Spanish citizen, the US has a visa waiver program. You can stay for up to 90 days with no visa.

The thing to do would be to carefully plan a trip that took in a series of tournaments. Between the West Coast Mezz Tour, BCA Las Vegas (with all sorts of events and min events), and a lot of regional tournaments, you would be able to play nearly every week during certain times of the year on a well planned trip to California, Arizona and Nevada. In the Fall there are those tournaments in Toronto, Canada (not sure if it's open) and the US Open. In the winter we have Derby City, which is many tournaments in one. Another thing you could consider is migrating to Canada, then visiting the US for shorter stays. If you decide North America, you're going to have to travel to play anyway.

Even if you are dynamite, you will need to play in a lot of regional events to find out how good you really are. My guess is without the proper competition, you will not have developed the quality of game you need to compete here. The good players are a lot tougher than most people realize.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Thanks guys. I'll consider going to the philippines. I'll go to Japan for 3 months from next month, that's where my girlfriend lives, I hope I can play with some great players there.

Hi Rin,

Are you going to be in Tokyo? There's a pro tour and some big events coming up including the Japan Open next month. Get yourself entered and you can see how you match up against some of the best pros and amateurs in Japan. I'll probably play in a few as well, so let me know if you're interested.

Some notable events in July-September:
7/16-18 Japan Open
7/24 Big Bang Cup
7/31 East Tokyo Ten Ball
8/21 Classic Ten Ball Championship
8/27 Grand Prix East Pro Tour Stop #5
9/24 Grand Prix East Pro Tour Stop #6

Rin

頑張ります
Silver Member
Hi Rin,

Are you going to be in Tokyo? There's a pro tour and some big events coming up including the Japan Open next month. Get yourself entered and you can see how you match up against some of the best pros and amateurs in Japan. I'll probably play in a few as well, so let me know if you're interested.

Some notable events in July-September:
7/16-18 Japan Open
7/24 Big Bang Cup
7/31 East Tokyo Ten Ball
8/21 Classic Ten Ball Championship
8/27 Grand Prix East Pro Tour Stop #5
9/24 Grand Prix East Pro Tour Stop #6

I'm gonna be in Fukuoka/kyushu from July 30, that's where my current girlfriend lives. I used to live in minami aoyama(omotesando) when I had a girlfriend there :p but maybe I can fly over for an event.:grin:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
If you're really serious about getting some pool competition, I'd recommend you get a new gf in the Tokyo area, because that's where the all action is ;)

Rin

頑張ります
Silver Member
Over 5 million people are living in fukuoka, but no good players around, or tournaments?:confused: I saw plenty of pool halls on the internet in this area, some really big, there must be something going on there:D

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a big tournament at Huis Ten Bosch near there, all the Japanese pros go out there pretty often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's a link to a Japanese billiards magazine schedule of upcoming tournaments. You just missed the HTB Open.

http://www.billiards-cues.jp/schedule/

Last edited:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I truly would like to believe this post and would love to believe there are still folks out there with this type of passion. I'm still just a tad skeptical though with the recent posts on this very subject. I'm with the other posters that recommended that OP would do himself a big service by posting a video of his said talents, that way it would be MUCH EASIER to give him some accurate feedback and also much much easier to give him some good direction as to which / what way he should go. At this point though I do like the suggestions that he should probably just go and enter into some big tourneys and also go get into some big action and see where the chips fall.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Over 5 million people are living in fukuoka, but no good players around, or tournaments?:confused: I saw plenty of pool halls on the internet in this area, some really big, there must be something going on there:D

I go to Hakata on business once in a while and play at some of the main places when I'm there. They are very spread out over a large area but there are a few really good players around (almost no pro players, though). The pool scene is extremely quiet compared to Tokyo, Osaka or Kyoto, with some house tournaments here and there and only a handful of big events in a year. Like someone said, you just missed the largest one, the Kyushu Open.

Rin

頑張ります
Silver Member
I go to Hakata on business once in a while and play at some of the main places when I'm there. They are very spread out over a large area but there are a few really good players around (almost no pro players, though). The pool scene is extremely quiet compared to Tokyo, Osaka or Kyoto, with some house tournaments here and there and only a handful of big events in a year. Like someone said, you just missed the largest one, the Kyushu Open.

That's too bad. Oh well.. This trip wasn't meant to be for pool anyway. At least I'll be able to practice:p

Yeah I saw the Kyushu open in the live stream, I got a bit sad when I saw that I missed such a big event:(

For the guys saying that I should post videos, I might post some when I'm in Japan with better internet. The internet I have here is like from the stone age, slow as hell and with lots of cuts, it's not really possible to upload a video.

pooler

Europe - TD, TL & Ref
Silver Member
Hey there,

I'd like to become a pro player. I'm pretty sure that I have what it takes to become one.
The problem is, I live in a place where pool is pretty much dead (my birthplace).
(...)
I'm European so I can go anywhere in Europe without the need of a visa, but I'm not a big fan of Europe to be honest.

Thanks for the input.

Poland should be your first choice :) for various reasons...

If you are really serious about this idea of yours - write me a PM, we can discuss it more.