Is this wood "cue worthy"?

JC

Coos Cues
This came from the butt cut of an old cherry tree here on the Oregon Coast and was kiln dried before I acquired it. It weighs about 40 lbs per square ft @ 6% moisture.

I know insane figure is the standard these days for many. And a lot of other bling to boot. But what about this? Is it too soft? Too plain? I have a fair amount of it. Should I forget cues and make jewelry boxes with it?

001 [800x600].JPG

009 [800x600].JPG

JC

seanjonsean

Otanisan Cues
Silver Member
If u like it whynot ,ive heard guys making cues out of thick old scholl mops ,now is it to soft or looks ,and this n that well thats another issue

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

JC

Coos Cues
If u like it whynot ,ive heard guys making cues out of thick old scholl mops ,now is it to soft or looks ,and this n that well thats another issue

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Since I'm pretty new to building cues I'm trying to see if I can successfully build cues integrating local wood to kind of set me apart as I will never have the skills to compete on intricate design. I would like every cue to have a major local component to it. In looking around I came across this Cherry.

Unfortunately there aren't many heavy and hard species to choose from around here.

JC

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the character of the wood. But I also core everything with very well seasoned maple dowels. That wood with nice rings and a solid black wrap. Linen or leather. Very nice.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This came from the butt cut of an old cherry tree here on the Oregon Coast and was kiln dried before I acquired it. It weighs about 40 lbs per square ft @ 6% moisture.

I know insane figure is the standard these days for many. And a lot of other bling to boot. But what about this? Is it too soft? Too plain? I have a fair amount of it. Should I forget cues and make jewelry boxes with it?

View attachment 432583

View attachment 432584

JC

I agree with Mike. I think if cored, it would make a nice handle as well. Not everything has to be insane.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Reminds me of olivewood, which is one of my favorite handle woods.
I personally think they would make beautiful cues.

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wood

That will work fine. I have some cherry in my shop. I love the way it cuts on the lathe. Have fun with it.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 432583

View attachment 432584

JC

Be careful with Cherry, I would not recommend it at all for a Cue, same with about any woods native to Are-We-Gone.

Same with Western Maple, I have enough of it to build over 100 cues (I find nice down Maple trees after storms and I have them milled) but it's never used for more than a Butt Sleeve or Ring. Eastern Maple is great for about everything on a cue.

I wish I had more time to explain but it's 4:30am and I am off today for a 12 mile hike at Mt Jefferson, take care down there, Thanks, Dave.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
If you bounce it on the end it has a nice ring to it.............. solid wood and nice for cues........... just not too much for eye appealing........

Kim

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Core it and it will be just fine. It doesn't need to have crazy figure to be nice. In fact, as often as I utilize high figured woods, there's also usually a more subtle piece in there purposely to not detract from the figured stuff. I have a few guidelines I follow on most cues, and one of those is to not use two woods that blur or clash in color &/or figure. Case in point, I won't use curly maple and curly walnut in the same cue, although birds eye maple and curly walnut look great together. If the wood has good color and bold grain patterns like your cherry, it doesn't need wrinkles or eyes.

On another note, have a look around for some manzanita & maybe madrone. Beautiful hardwoods native to your area. They're known for their burls, but the lumber can be pretty cool, too. You also have some Australian red gum, usually in the coastal areas. It's a pink/red wood that is quite hard & usually pretty nicely figured.

Reactions: JC

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since I'm pretty new to building cues I'm trying to see if I can successfully build cues integrating local wood to kind of set me apart as I will never have the skills to compete on intricate design. I would like every cue to have a major local component to it. In looking around I came across this Cherry.

Unfortunately there aren't many heavy and hard species to choose from around here.

JC

Core it with purpleheart, J.C. I think it has a nice color and look. The coring and a straight maple handle under the wrap will make a nice playing cue.

Reactions: JC

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cherry moves like Jagger. Your cores better be tight, straight grained, and at least .750

Yotehntr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SODIUM HYDROXIDE (LYE) will quick age cherry. In my call making I'll get a can of oven cleaner (wear gloves of course) spray a little on a rag and wipe it on the cherry. The red will drip off of it. The natural aged color of the cherry, just quickened by the Lye.

JC

Coos Cues
Thanks to everyone for the input and ideas. I believe that coring all but the most stable species to be critical so needless to say this cherry will get cored. Will post pictures when I get a cue made including it.

JC

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
Nice wood, very cue worthy, but on the light side. I would core it with a heavier wood.

Alan

Phelps Custom Cues

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Food for Thought

Suppose you found a chunk of Pine, Cottonwood, Willow or whatever similar type wood. Would it be 'cue worthy' ?
The fact that you HAVE to core it suggests probably not; no more than a tube of pretty cored cardboard.
If the wood won't 'stand on it's own', that alone should be telling you that no, it's not cue-worthy.
Does 'pretty' alone make it cue-worthy ?

Mike and I are on different sides of the fence on this issue. He cores everything and I core nothing.
Mike builds an incredible cue. You'd be hard-pressed to find one prettier. I'm sure they play well also.
Point being, we build for different reasons and likely expect different results. Pretty is not my goal.
I'd rather not re-hash the beaten to death coring debate. To each his own and that's my final word on coring.

So, is your Cherry cue-worthy ? You tell us. You're the one building that cue. Some already know.
Cherry has been around as long as any other wood. Have you seen many Cherry wood cues ? Why not ?
You're not the first to have that thought.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Looking good and hitting good are not mutually exclusive qualities. Most makers at least strive to meet both goals, and generally succeed. Obviously there are materials that are easy to use & nearly fool proof in creating a favorable hitting cue. Then there are more challenging materials that require you to learn, grow, and take extra steps. They aren't fool proof, but they aren't impossible, either. You'll get out of your cues what you put into them. There's no doubt in my mind that I could use that cherry to make a world class playing cue that is also quite desirable in aesthetics. Most builders I know could as well. If we can do it, why can't you? You ask if it's cue worthy. I ask you what isn't? There's something to be said for staying in your comfort zone. It's safe and it's predictable. But it's not for me. I say dive in head first & see what you can create with that stuff!

carguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking good and hitting good are not mutually exclusive qualities. Most makers at least strive to meet both goals, and generally succeed. Obviously there are materials that are easy to use & nearly fool proof in creating a favorable hitting cue. Then there are more challenging materials that require you to learn, grow, and take extra steps. They aren't fool proof, but they aren't impossible, either. You'll get out of your cues what you put into them. There's no doubt in my mind that I could use that cherry to make a world class playing cue that is also quite desirable in aesthetics. Most builders I know could as well. If we can do it, why can't you? You ask if it's cue worthy. I ask you what isn't? There's something to be said for staying in your comfort zone. It's safe and it's predictable. But it's not for me. I say dive in head first & see what you can create with that stuff!

I love this^^^. Go directly to the deep end of the pool. If you see water, jump. Not a bad way to live.

Robin Snyder