$1,300/Hr I should have been a pool table mover

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like they say you don't pay a man for his hours of work. You pay for his years of experience.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most service companies that provide employees that are state certified (think...plumbers, electricians etc...etc) charge from $80 to $120 an hour for two employees for an hour. They all charge extra for materials.

$650 to move a table is a bit much unless their moving it off site and then back as you thought.

Most plumbing, electrical, heat and air...etc...etc companies charge ~$90 ish per hour for two men....plus materials.

Some areas charge less, some areas charge a little more...

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like they say you don't pay a man for his hours of work. You pay for his years of experience.

A customer doesn't pay anyone for what they did last week, month, year etc...

Example:

You need a plumber. You call and ask how munch they charge, knowing that most plumbing companies charge $90 an hour for two men in your area. Well, they say that it will cost you $200 an hour just because the plumber thats available has more experience.

Lol....I know what most would say to em.....what would you say?

Jeff

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
$650 for literally 30 minutes of work? Works out to $1,300 and hour to power tool the 4 legs off store them into the bottom of the table and tip the table onto a dolly and wheel it 11 feet. Glen, maybe if you could explain why the F this costs so much. Do you really need certified Diamond guys to move a Diamond? I'm not in the mood for coy questions, is it absolutely necessary or not?

Im sorry what in the hell are you talking about

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im sorry what in the hell are you talking about

I wrote that with the specific intention of getting guys who kinda already know what I'm talking about to respond. If I need to detail everything, this isn't the thread for you. (Kinda like if you have to ask, you can't afford it thing.)

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
A customer doesn't pay anyone for what they did last week, month, year etc...

Example:

You need a plumber. You call and ask how munch they charge, knowing that most plumbing companies charge $90 an hour for two men in your area. Well, they say that it will cost you $200 an hour just because the plumber thats available has more experience.

Lol....I know what most would say to em.....what would you say?

Jeff

Paid $370 for a plumber to come out and snake my main sewer line. I was like wheat?

Pipe clogged again about a week later. I went and rented a power snake for $50. Job done. It was some work for sure.

Btw, be careful using Charmin aloe tp, something about that stuff, it grabs pipes. That was the culprit.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Paid $370 for a plumber to come out and snake my main sewer line. I was like wheat?

Pipe clogged again about a week later. I went and rented a power snake for $50. Job done. It was some work for sure.

Btw, be careful using Charmin aloe tp, something about that stuff, it grabs pipes. That was the culprit.

Yes!!!!!

That was my point.

A plumber with 40 years experience cant clear the "average" sewer line any faster than a plumber with 6 months experience.

Sure, there are exceptions. Say a plumber with little experience is call out to clear a sewer and after a couple hours of attempts he doesn't find anything wrong other than the lines wont drain.......well, until a plumber is experienced enough to spot it, they wont be able to figure out it a city issue and will end up leaving an unsatisfied customer.

Pool table guys are the same way.

Most jobs don't need a ton of experience but, ever now and then....yep.

I still say 600+ $$$ for moving a table 11 feet is ridiculous.

IMO, the OP got hosed by a couple hundred or so.

Jeff

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could have left out the sarcasm. I paid the $650. Its a Diamond Pro-Am 8'. They moved it from my living room to just outside my sliding glass door (a few steps). Its under an aluminum roof, but not an enclosed space and it rained the next day. Its been out there 5 or 6 days. (Its back in now.)
So you didn’t have a nearby room in your house on the same floor you could have stored your table at, as opposed to outside? It takes a very unique cart to safely move a 1-piece slate oversized 8-foot Diamond table, without damaging it, and they are likely the only ones that could have done this for you, so it’s not likely you were in a position to negeotiate price with them. Regarding the price quote, you’ve got to consider the 2 separate trips and how far they had to travel

youngstownkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off I’m not a mechanic but if someone called me to move a table I’d charge x. If they wanted it moved twice, I’d charge 2x. Also, the estimate given isn’t based off the best case scenario, because that can’t always happen. An experienced mechanic won’t be that naive. Leveling can sometimes be a real pain. Then if things do go great, then that makes up for the times that it doesn’t. The really good ones can make it look easy even when it’s really not.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member

What he means here is:

Say you want an electrical outlet installed in your garage. You get quoted 100$ plus materials... They guy comes in and does it in 30 mins and is cleaned up and gone.

Some other guy quotes the same price, it takes him 2 hours plus to complete the job because he doesn't have the experience and knowledge to do the job in 30 minutes.

Same job, same price... $/hr changes though.:thumbup:

To the OP, hope you get to enjoy your table! Congratulations!

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
The time to question or complain about the price or where they put the table was before they were hired.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

fishless

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What he means here is:

Say you want an electrical outlet installed in your garage. You get quoted 100$ plus materials... They guy comes in and does it in 30 mins and is cleaned up and gone.

Some other guy quotes the same price, it takes him 2 hours plus to complete the job because he doesn't have the experience and knowledge to do the job in 30 minutes.

Same job, same price... $/hr changes though.:thumbup:

To the OP, hope you get to enjoy your table! Congratulations!

Very true, I'm a plumber and do a few side jobs here and there and when providing a price it's noted that experience is included in the price. I help out contractor friends of mine who are handy and will do a lot of plumbing on their own and they are amazed how quickly I can get things done. It comes down like in most professions the experienced ones are thinking what they will be doing 15 minutes down the line where the less experienced will be thinking of what they are doing right now and likely questioning themselves as they are doing it.

Never thought I'd see anything plumbing related here :)

Cheers,

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Moving a pool table, like moving a piano is not an easy job. Next time rent a trainer, buy some beer, and have friend help you. Hope that next move works out well.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My thought is if I move it with my buddies and it slips, lands on a buddy and he's out of work for say 6 months, who pays his salary?

Hire a pro, I know i'm not paying it. It's like insurance imo. Sucks paying the premiums, but sucks more not having it when you really need it...

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a semi famous chef friend and he tells it like that too.

I got the opportunity to hang out in the corner of his kitchen once and get liquored up, while I waited for him to go to rock n roll show...

It was pretty crazy to see him managing all the various stations' processes, and telling the guy carrying 5 things to turn his dumb ass around and go get the next 3 things he was gonna need as well.

From a customer perspective, I generally prefer to hire the expert and know it will be done right.

Very true, I'm a plumber and do a few side jobs here and there and when providing a price it's noted that experience is included in the price. I help out contractor friends of mine who are handy and will do a lot of plumbing on their own and they are amazed how quickly I can get things done. It comes down like in most professions the experienced ones are thinking what they will be doing 15 minutes down the line where the less experienced will be thinking of what they are doing right now and likely questioning themselves as they are doing it.

Never thought I'd see anything plumbing related here :)

Cheers,

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Did you at least get chocolates and flowers after? A good-morning text? Maybe a FB friend request?