11.65 is that to skinny for a shaft. Warp ?

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I like a skinny shaft , always have. My Son had a Meucci with a 11.65 shaft that played like a dream. I got the chance to speak to Dan Janes of the Famous Joss cues and he told me that he will never go any smaller than a 12 on a shaft because if you do they will eventually warp , Do you think that would be the case. I have seen shafts for sale that were 11.65 and were lifetime warranty against warping and Meucci offers this size also . I have a shaft I want cut down from 13 to 11.65 , what do you guy's think ,

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Hello ,

I like a skinny shaft , always have. My Son had a Meucci with a 11.65 shaft that played like a dream. I got the chance to speak to Dan Janes of the Famous Joss cues and he told me that he will never go any smaller than a 12 on a shaft because if you do they will eventually warp , Do you think that would be the case. I have seen shafts for sale that were 11.65 and were lifetime warranty against warping and Meucci offers this size also . I have a shaft I want cut down from 13 to 11.65 , what do you guy's think ,
I've played with two 9.5-10mm shafts for 20 years or so - no problems.

pj
chgo

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
I personally think its too small. I do know you shouldnt turn dowm a 13 mm to that size all at one time. Also will make the ferrule wall pretty thin. Just my opinion though.
.i like 13+ in general.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 2 (different) 11.5 sharts that I have had for over 10 years (each) and both are perfectly straight.

The smaller the shaft the more deliberate the delivery of the tip to theCB needs to be.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think that's true (depending on what you mean by "deliberate"), but I'm interested to hear your reason.

When comparing my 314(1) with my Z2, I find that I must deliver the cue tip to the CB straighter--that is the arm motion must have less side-to-side motion, and smoother back-to-front motion, and the follow through must have more extension--than what I can get away with with the 314(1).

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The smaller the shaft the more deliberate the delivery of the tip to theCB needs to be.

I don't think that's true (depending on what you mean by "deliberate"), but I'm interested to hear your reason

When comparing my 314(1) with my Z2, I find that I must deliver the cue tip to the CB straighter--that is the arm motion must have less side-to-side motion, and smoother back-to-front motion, and the follow through must have more extension--than what I can get away with with the 314(1).
Are you thinking the smaller tip size is less forgiving of stroke errors? Whatever works for you, of course, but that's been suggested before, and hasn't stood to reason. Do you have an explanation in mind?

pj
chgo

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yo PoolFan, I have a 30" Meucci Ultimate Weapon 11.65mm that I'm in love with (and with the extra length it would seem even more likely to warp...keeping my fingers crossed.

I can think of a few thousand snooker players who might disagree.

The taper on a Snooker cue shaft completely negates the small tip issue -- the ash shaft is like rock solid and barely flexes...cannot imagine this EVER warping.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The taper on a Snooker cue shaft completely negates the small tip issue -- the ash shaft is like rock solid and barely flexes...cannot imagine this EVER warping.
My maple shaft is built the same way (10mm tip, conical taper) and hits the same way too, despite maple not being quite as stiff as ash.

pj
chgo

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you thinking the smaller tip size is less forgiving of stroke errors? Whatever works for you, of course, but that's been suggested before, and hasn't stood to reason. Do you have an explanation in mind?

I think it has more to do with the more flexibility at the end of the shaft than of the tip size.

Although it is just as possible that the lower end mass allows "subtle stroke errors to mis-position the tip at impact" easier.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Hello ,

I have 2 Lucasi Hybrid Shafts and had them for years, both 11.75. Great shafts. Both very straight.

TFT

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
You're all overlooking the taper. A pretty small tip, the OP's example, with a conical taper is not that unusual, resembles some snooker and carom cues. Now a shaft with a long constant thin diameter? Well, you may have a fishing pole. But, I've seen some good ones play with those too.

All the best,
WW

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I've played with two 9.5-10mm shafts for 20 years or so - no problems.

Based on what
Based on having no problems.

how would you know the difference if you haven't played months with another shaft
I played years with Schons, Meuccis, Predators etc. before designing my current tiny-tipped cue and having Ed Young make it.

What pro's play with a shaft that small ?
Every pro snooker player. And the trend continues toward smaller tips in pool.

pj
chgo

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Based on having no problems.

I played years with Schons, Meuccis, Predators etc. before designing my current tiny-tipped cue and having Ed Young make it.

Every pro snooker player. And the trend continues toward smaller tips in pool.

pj
chgo

Thats right PJ!!! Hope you are well! :)

TFT:thumbup:

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I do not know how to turn shafts nor have I done cue repairs. My questions below are legitimate questions.

Will all shafts turn down that low? By all, I mostly mean laminated and solid. Is it possible the 13mm shaft the OP has will not be straight when turned down to 11.65.

I’ve had shafts turned down before and it usually takes multiple turns. Do you ever get to the final diameter and the grains stress just will not let it stay straight?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not know how to turn shafts nor have I done cue repairs. My questions below are legitimate questions.

Will all shafts turn down that low? By all, I mostly mean laminated and solid. Is it possible the 13mm shaft the OP has will not be straight when turned down to 11.65.

I’ve had shafts turned down before and it usually takes multiple turns. Do you ever get to the final diameter and the grains stress just will not let it stay straight?

I don't know, but seems like a better idea
to have a shaft made small
rather than to make a shaft designed big
small

and I agree taper probably makes a big difference
re: small-tipped shaft/cue integrity
the cone shape is so perfect
I think I'm in love:love:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Yo PoolFan, I have a 30" Meucci Ultimate Weapon 11.65mm that I'm in love with (and with the extra length it would seem even more likely to warp...keeping my fingers crossed.

the modulus of elasticity has no bearing on wether or not a shaft will warp or not. and a shaft flexing during the shot does not effect its condition as sits on the shelf.

there is either tension in the wood....or there isnt. OR it got wet or was left to bake especially in directional heating/sun with moisture on it or around it.

ash warps like any other wood can. get some from the wrong part of the tree ill make you a shaft that will poke you in the ear when you stroke at the cue ball LOL

Greyghost

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

sure.....hell ive seen nice handle or butts 30k over final diameter, SWING during the seasons to 90K TIR then hit back to workable.......4 months later BAM 40k out lol so on so forth.

I have a shaft from a 1890s cue with the original ivory ferrule, was beat up and turned it down to ohh around 10.5/11mm well over a decade ago......sob is straighter than a lazer beam. Players that seen it always askning when im gonna put a joint on it....i just say it makes me feel right as rain just sitting there waiting in the bull pen....waiting for that phone call....run out the gate like ole John Rocker hahahahahaha.