Vegetable Ivory

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have any of you cue makers ever tried using Tagua Nuts, otherwise known as Vegetable Ivory?

I recently saw items carved out of this material and it looks and feels like real ivory. Without knowing much about it, it looks like it would be great for inlays and maybe ferrules.

I'm just wondering if any of you have heard of it, or possibly tried it.

The following information is taken from a small handout they had in the shop, selling the Tagua nut carvings.

The Tagua nut grows in several tropical regions of South America, on trees 20 to 30 feet high. When the nut matures and falls to the ground, they are gathered and dried for 8 to 12 weeks, after which, they become extremely hard.

The Tagua nut has a close grain, is very hard and has a cellular structure and grain similar to that of elephant ivory, but is more dense and resilient. It resembles the finest ivory in texture and color and it is slightly softer than mammal ivory.

These nuts have been used by craftsman for years and is frequently passed as elephant ivory. It is so much like mammal ivory that pieces carved from it are sold at the same price as elephant ivory, and in some carvings, much more.

For over two hundred years, vegetable ivory has been used by ivory carvers in the making of netsukes, dice, dominos and chess pieces. Other uses include cane and umbrella handles, mah-jongg tiles, sewing needle cases, religious figurines, toys and the fine art of scrimshaw. In the late eighteen hundreds up through World War II this ivory nut was used to make some of the finest buttons in the clothing industry.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have cut up the nuts and made inlay slabs out of them. You don't get very large pieces so I never inlaid them. They do look nice but are hard to slab and not much to work with. I have found camel bone to be a better non-elephant ivory substitute, so if it needs the color of ivory without the price I go with camel bone.
Chris
www.cuesmith.com
www.internationalcuemakers.com

TellsItLikeItIs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cueman said:
I have cut up the nuts and made inlay slabs out of them. You don't get very large pieces so I never inlaid them. They do look nice but are hard to slab and not much to work with. I have found camel bone to be a better non-elephant ivory substitute, so if it needs the color of ivory without the price I go with camel bone.
Chris
www.cuesmith.com
www.internationalcuemakers.com
How large a slab are you able to get from the Camel Bone Chris?

QMAKER

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Silver Member
Tagua Nut

I have used Tagua nuts on guitars for the saddle and other ivory replacement
parts. It is almost as good as ivory, acoustically that is. You can buy it from Stewart McDonalds or Luthiers International. One other thing--it finishes just like ivory.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rich R. said:
Have any of you cue makers ever tried using Tagua Nuts, otherwise known as Vegetable Ivory?

I recently saw items carved out of this material and it looks and feels like real ivory. Without knowing much about it, it looks like it would be great for inlays and maybe ferrules.

I'm just wondering if any of you have heard of it, or possibly tried it.

The following information is taken from a small handout they had in the shop, selling the Tagua nut carvings.

The Tagua nut grows in several tropical regions of South America, on trees 20 to 30 feet high. When the nut matures and falls to the ground, they are gathered and dried for 8 to 12 weeks, after which, they become extremely hard.

The Tagua nut has a close grain, is very hard and has a cellular structure and grain similar to that of elephant ivory, but is more dense and resilient. It resembles the finest ivory in texture and color and it is slightly softer than mammal ivory.

These nuts have been used by craftsman for years and is frequently passed as elephant ivory. It is so much like mammal ivory that pieces carved from it are sold at the same price as elephant ivory, and in some carvings, much more.

For over two hundred years, vegetable ivory has been used by ivory carvers in the making of netsukes, dice, dominos and chess pieces. Other uses include cane and umbrella handles, mah-jongg tiles, sewing needle cases, religious figurines, toys and the fine art of scrimshaw. In the late eighteen hundreds up through World War II this ivory nut was used to make some of the finest buttons in the clothing industry.

Although they look nice it's hard to get much usable material out of them. There is a pith inside of them making it hard to get any piece large enough for use. getting a ferrule out of one might be close to impossible.
Dick