What is the best production break cue?

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
In my experience any cue about 19oz and up with a medium or hard tip. That phenolic tip crap does nothing for me or my break. I can stop shot the cue ball off a clean break with a spread to run out in 8 & 9 ball.

Maybe you should tell us your break style and $$$$ limit.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Samsara

I have tried most but I always go back to the Samsara.

Hope this helps

Wedge

80P

Banned
Its going to be your preference. You'll get 100 different answers here. Go somewhere and try a few out, then pick what you like. I personally have a BK2 and have no plans on replacing it anytime soon, it hits perfect for me.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
It depends on how accurate you are on the Break.... IF you can consistently hit center ball and target a solid hit on the head ball the Mezz Power Break with a Sonic Tip or the Predator BK3 with the Predator Phenolic really transfer more energy than most of the other break cues out....

OB has their new Rift Break cue and offers 2 shafts for this reason and I will say I have not tried the Rift but Royce is starting to really get it so I expect the fast/speed shaft to put the Rift up there with the Mezz and Predator.....

By offering a control shaft on the Rift as an option they are going one up on just changing out a synthetic tip for a Samsara or other leather break tip... They are changing the tapers and construction so the control shaft is a different animal than the other and should out perform the fast/speed shaft or whatever they called it when in the hands of someone who doesn't always hit the cueball or head ball where they are trying to..

One other thing to consider moving forward is that the BIG BREAK is no longer a requirement as more and more events are moving to using templates... Since the balls stay frozen more energy transfers thru the rack and you get a 27mph spread with a 20mph break when they are used...

After switching to using our Accu-Rack templates I actually did the unthinkabe and cut the phenolic tip off my BK2 and turned it into my playing cue... I stuck one of our medium hards on it and break and play with it since the Accu-Rack SOLO lets me break all games well at a lower speed... Needing a BIG BREAK to fade bad racks and shenanigans is a thing of the past for me now so I can travel light and leave the expensive stuff at home where it's safe... One Cue, One Template, No Van and occasionally on the road LOL

If I start playing tournaments again where it's tradional racks with crappy balls I won't hesitate to pick up another breaker... Rift, BK3 or Power Break... As I like what Royce is doing and knowing the Rift will be made in house down in Texas that is likely the way I will go.....

Chris

rtbbf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
McDermott NG01 with a hard leather tip (Elk master soaked and pressed to the max) best ten dollar tip I know of

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Mezz that I really like on a 9 ball break but did not like it for my 8 ball game hitting the second ball. It breaks like a monster hitting the rack head on but I found I prefer my Gilbert JB for an overall break cue.

The Mezz was the best production breaker I have tried so far. But I will stick with my custom.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my experience any cue about 19oz and up with a medium or hard tip. That phenolic tip crap does nothing for me or my break. I can stop shot the cue ball off a clean break with a spread to run out in 8 & 9 ball.

Maybe you should tell us your break style and $$$$ limit.

I think it's a lot in the tip. My brother in law is an average apa player and wanted a break cue for his birthday. I bought him one of those cheap mcdermott lucky cue's from ozone billiards and paid for a hard break tip (can't remember which one) that thing breaks as good as my bk3 and I think cost me like $60 with that added tip lol

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
They don't make them anymore but you can find them, A Gulyassy Anvil with a Samsara break tip is my choice, rips racks like a wrecking ball on breaks & has surprisingly turned into the best jump cue I've ever used.

playdoubles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I 2nd that!

Yep, the Mezz break cues are exceptional. I do play the shorter PB2 for years now and it raised my break (could still improve, but that's on me).
Jumping with it is unbelievable! The Mezz Sonic tips give such a great feeling.
Can't go wrong with a Mezz...

gpeezy

for sale!
Predator and mezz use a pad under the phenolic with I personally think make them more forgiving. That said, breaking 18-23 mph with a shooting cue with a hard tip is the nuts compared to something you can't control. Picking something close to what you play with will do just fine. Hard leather tip hold up and will allow you to control it much better. IMO solid is leaps and bounds better than loud. I can crush them and it is a waste of energy. Only real benefit is it's a mental shot at your opponent. But so is running out consistently. Only real benefit I see in break cues is being able to jump easier full cue. Nothing does that better than the break cues at JOBS made outta diamond wood.