Who makes the nicest "briefcase" style pool cue case?

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I'm considering an old school cue case like the Huebler/McDermott type cases for long term storage of my cues, but I'm not at all happy with the quality of the ones I've seen. The padding is bad and the overall quality not to my liking. Are there any modern makers of these, or will I have to build it myself?

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I have a cool pretty rare It's George suitcase type 1x2, long.
The only Huebler I have is a 1x1, it's nice but just one of those box cases with rounded chrome corners., not worth a lot.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
o neal makes some nice ones

i had one that was really nice

john barton makes everything else so
he might make these too

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Hes here on azbilliards but much easier to contact on fb
He isnt on this site much

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The finest box cases were made by O’Neil Leather Specialties in Racine Wisconsin. They made them in numerous configurations from 1x1 to 12x12.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
I know you asked about the "Briefcase" style of Pool cue cases, but...

I'm a huge fan of Whitten cases. www.whittencases.com
I really like how each cloth lined tube is built size specific for either a shaft or a butt.
While I like & respect JB cases, I'm not a fan of the sack/sleeping bag type sleeves used in them.
I have a Whitten 4x8 case that houses my collectible cues in my gun safe and a 3x6 I use for daily carry.

b9dde0_dc4df49c6b0e4238abea893f19d0d304~mv2_d_3264_2448_s_4_2.webp

The exterior storage compartments are awesome, and the hardware is 2nd to none.
The overall construction and craftsmanship is the best I've ever seen.
The Whitten Shoulder Strap & Shoulder Pad is a brilliant design & extremely comfortable

available-now

b9dde0_bdadfb1de16a4a729615d7f2e8797e1f~mv2_d_2448_3264_s_4_2.webp

And if you're into exotic skins or flash customization, there's absolutely no one who does it better.
b9dde0_dd893ec3c45e490895545ed40da1e135.webp

Whitten cases aren't cheap. Joe does all the work, himself, by hand...in other words, he isn't outsourcing it to China and having his name stamped on it.
That being said, the price for the couture workmanship is extremely reasonable (IMHO).
While his cases aren't cheap, like a car, there are countless options so there's a Whitten case to fit every budget.
If you decide you want a Whitten case, the sooner your order, the better.
There have been times where Joe's wait list has been up to a year.
Tough as that may be, I've never heard of him missing a promised time.

For me, I wanted a case that:
1) protected my cues,
2) was functional and user friendly,
3) was durable (I didn't want a case I was going to need to replace every 2 - 3 years)
4) looked good.
For my money a Whitten case does all of these things AND it does it better than any other case I've ever seen.
Given the value my cues have to me, why would I ever cheap-out on what's protecting them?

Joe answers his own phone and is delightful to deal with. He obviously loves what he does and I've always enjoyed speaking with him on the phone. -Z-

Last edited:

HaiNhi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would Longoni cases considered briefcase style? They look pretty nice to me. I never had one. I’m planning to get a 2x4 myself.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Would Longoni cases considered briefcase style? They look pretty nice to me. I never had one. I’m planning to get a 2x4 myself.

Well, I consider them to be more like "gun case" style. I don't want to give the impression that my cuecase is a gun case, because I can walk or take the subway to my pool hall (I live in the city). I'd rather have people think that I'm carrying a musical instrument than a gun. The Longoni cases seem to protect the cue well, but I want something decorative as well as functional so that I don't have to "hide" it when I store my cues at home, but can have it visible on a book shelf or whatever.

Last edited:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Well, I consider them to be more like "gun case" style. I don't want to give the impression that my cuecase is a gun case, because I can walk or take the subway to my pool hall (I live in the city). I'd rather have people think that I'm carrying a musical instrument than a gun. The Longoni cases seem to protect the cue well, but I want something decorative as well as functional so that I don't have to "hide" it when I store my cues at home, but can have it visible on a book shelf or whatever.

The other day some people thought my Predator soft butterfly 4x8 and 2x4 It's George cases were gun cases.
I think non-pool people think anything is a gun case.
The Longoni's are super nice for the money I think.
Personally I've never liked wooden cases no matter how nice they are.
If I was serious about a suitcase type cue case it would be an O'neil for sure.

Personally my favorite cue cases for several reasons are the vintage It's George leather cases.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
The other day some people thought my Predator soft butterfly 4x8 and 2x4 It's George cases were gun cases.
I think non-pool people think anything is a gun case.
The Longoni's are super nice for the money I think.
Personally I've never liked wooden cases no matter how nice they are.
If I was serious about a suitcase type cue case it would be an O'neil for sure.

Personally my favorite cue cases for several reasons are the vintage It's George leather cases.

Funny story. I used to have a display style case which held 6 or 8 cues, I forget exactly how many. I didn't usually bring it to the pool hall, but someone else was borrowing my main case. This display case was exactly the same size and shape as a shotgun case. An older gentleman was staring at me on the subway, but after a while I kind of forgot about him. I suddenly realized that I may have forgot my tip tapper at home and rather quickly opened my case to check. The old boy jumped like a startled antilope! I guess he thought I was going to go postal on the subway car. After I showed him the case contents he calmed down.

I guess people are kind of stupid and paranoid in regards to guns. I tried to explain to him, that the kind of people who shoot up subway cars don't usually have their guns, disassembled in a case as that would be wildly impractical. If you really wanted to do bad things, you'd probably wear a large coat and have it under there, or if disassembled, you'd probably have it in a gym bag or backpack. What kind of demented killer wears pressed black pants, perfectly shined shoes, a nice shirt and has his gun in a leather case, anyways? I was wearing a west and and a bowtie, for crying out loud (playing tournament)! Wouldn't Occams razor kind of lead you towards the person being a musician or something? I guess I must look scary somehow.

On another occation I was waiting on the subway platform and a cop started asking all sorts of questions. At that time I was carrying a much slimmer type of case that could not reasonably hold any kind of normal rifle or shotgun, but it soon became clear that the cop thought that was the case. I opened the case and showed him. But really, the only kind of gun that would fit in that thing would be a takedown .22 with a wire stock or a modified sten gun or similar and either of those would be a stretch as well. What are they teaching those cops, I wonder?

Last edited:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Funny story. I used to have a display style case which held 6 or 8 cues, I forget exactly how many. I didn't usually bring it to the pool hall, but someone else was borrowing my main case. This display case was exactly the same size and shape as a shotgun case. An older gentleman was staring at me on the subway, but after a while I kind of forgot about him. I suddenly realized that I may have forgot my tip tapper at home and rather quickly opened my case to check. The old boy jumped like a startled antilope! I guess he thought I was going to go postal on the subway car. After I showed him the case contents he calmed down.

I guess people are kind of stupid and paranoid in regards to guns. I tried to explain to him, that the kind of people who shoot up subway cars don't usually have their guns, disassembled in a case as that would be wildly impractical. If you really wanted to do bad things, you'd probably wear a large coat and have it under there, or if disassembled, you'd probably have it in a gym bag or backpack. What kind of demented killer wears pressed black pants, perfectly shined shoes, a nice shirt and has his gun in a leather case, anyways? I was wearing a west and and a bowtie, for crying out loud (playing tournament)! Wouldn't Occams razor kind of lead you towards the person being a musician or something? I guess I must look scary somehow.

On another occation I was waiting on the subway platform and a cop started asking all sorts of questions. At that time I was carrying a much slimmer type of case that could not reasonably hold any kind of normal rifle or shotgun, but it soon became clear that the cop thought that was the case. I opened the case and showed him. But really, the only kind of gun that would fit in that thing would be a takedown .22 with a wire stock or a modified sten gun or similar and either of those would be a stretch as well. What are they teaching those cops, I wonder?

Cops are scared to death these days, most aren't real cops, and couldn't arrest an actual criminal if they had to.

I've heard some horror stories about guys leaving their cue cases on buses and subways, so be careful man.
It's easy to get distracted.
One old guy Chuck Roy left his old Joss on the bus three times before he finally lost it for good.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know you asked about the "Briefcase" style of Pool cue cases, but...

I'm a huge fan of Whitten cases.

I love the Whitten cases.
You're right, craftsmanship is indeed second to none.
And they're made right her in America.
If they made 4x8 butterfly I'd be the first in line.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member

One of my first cases was a "Briefcase style" cue case that was done in an ATA style. It was rock solid in terms of protecting the cue & was very secure because it had locks.
It looked like it was housing either a musical instrument or some electronic rack mount gear.

Many ATA case manufacturers do custom work for extremely reasonable prices. Anvil & Calzone being 2 of the larger companies.
They'll work with you from conception to fabrication to purchase and beyond.
That very well may be the least expensive, highest quality & more rewarding way to go.

ozonepark_2465_750482154__20082.1490639038.jpg