Which CURRENT pro would you recommend a beginner to emulate?

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cm

Chris Melling seems to figure all games out the best. Can kick at anything and run out from everywhere. In addition has a great stroke that a younger player with practice can emulate .

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Chris Melling seems to figure all games out the best. Can kick at anything and run out from everywhere. In addition has a great stroke that a younger player with practice can emulate .

The only simultaneusly professional snooker, blackball and pool player! Good choice, but maybe a bit tricky to emulate his super long bridge.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big Ko would be my choice

You beat me to it.
Big Ko, Kevin Chang, or pretty much any of the top 4-5 Taipei players...they all have similar training in their development. They have a short, compact stroke...shorter bridge...great stance...no carbon fiber, mid cue extension, butt extension, micro diameter cues. They are engineered for simplified and efficient rotation pool.

Tell the beginners to watch the last few years World Cup of Pool Chinese Taipei players.

One can get easily steered off course by emulating the fluid strokes of the players from the Philippines, the long bridge lengths/long cues of American players, and the various other differences in players.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Appleton has great form and a smart game.

Yes, he does. I like how he keeps the chalk in his pocket and always stands back from the table, thinks, chalks, chalk into pocket, then goes on for the kill shot. Gets up and repeats.

He also utilizes a shorter bridge for better control and compact stroke minimizes stroke errors.

His training videos were fantastic.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"His sister is a blatant Thespian and when he was younger, he himself use to emulate half the boys on the playground"

Mad Magazine 1965 in a cartoon of a politician speaking of his opponent-Year and quote is approximate but close.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
"His sister is a blatant Thespian and when he was younger, he himself use to emulate half the boys on the playground"

Mad Magazine 1965 in a cartoon of a politician speaking of his opponent-Year and quote is approximate but close.

The Mad Magazine All-purpose Political Campaign Slur speech. One of the funniest things I ever read in Mad.

"My opponent masticates in public places while perambulating around young children!"

I haven't thought of that in over 50 years.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Yes, he does. I like how he keeps the chalk in his pocket and always stands back from the table, thinks, chalks, chalk into pocket, then goes on for the kill shot. Gets up and repeats.

He also utilizes a shorter bridge for better control and compact stroke minimizes stroke errors.

His training videos were fantastic.

He’s very snookery....that’s what I’ll always recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that Morra's major flaw is that he is left eye dominant but shoots right handed. However, other than that his game is right out of a textbook

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that Morra's major flaw is that he is left eye dominant but shoots right handed. However, other than that his game is right out of a textbook

I always thought cross dominant was an advantage in the your head will be slightly tilted to the inside, putting your left dominant eye naturally over the cue while your right hand strokes. Left foot naturally falls out and forward giving you the angle, and the cue is naturally on a line across the body, not held out and away like right eye/right hand shooter can do. The last time I checked Ronny Osullivan is the same cross dominant, right hand, left eye, slight left off center chin.

He’s very snookery....that’s what I’ll always recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

"Snookery" great word and completely relevant to the discussion.
Nice one.
Yes, to the beginner...it doesn't hurt to get snookery from the start.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m enjoying watching Melling lately as well.The team China players are great and perfect but so slow and boring.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Niels Feijen - fundamentals and fitness - there is no one more solid when it comes to fundamentals and his fitness level is second to none in the pool world which allows him to win matches when others start to fade
Ralf Souquet - mental game - when everybody else starts panicking he is as cool as cucumber
Shane van Boening - break shot and speed control - the sound of his break shot rips peoples ear drums while maintaining his control over cb; his speed control allows Shane to play many shots across the angle and still come up perfectly
any top taiwanese player - safety game - if they decide to bury their opponent then cb will end up in Alcatraz more often than not

Last edited: