The Best Cue Case Period

Straight Pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
We at GTF Designs would like to give all you a sneak preview of the new cue cases we will be introducing in a few short weeks, There are 2 designs. The Replica is a true tribute to the Fellini's of old, only better and will retail for $300. The Prestige is similar to the Centennial of old with hard end caps and will retail for $200. This are the best cases for cue protection and the attention to detail is exceptional. We use the finest leathers, water resistant linings and hardware. We have already pre-sold over 200 of these cases to dealers and cue makers, We hope to launch our website shortly and will be offering a diverse selection for you choice and taste.

Attachments

• Bob V Pretige.jpg
    Bob V Pretige.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 3,047
  • Bob V Replicajpg.jpg
    Bob V Replicajpg.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 2,836

guycrunch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
they look like nice cases, do you have any pics of the interiors? will they be offered in 2x4 configuration? and how about a special "az billiards" edition?

guy

Straight Pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Additional information! These cases are being made in collaboration with John Barton in Xiamen, China. The center for Chinese artisans and craftsmen. These cases are not chinese knock offs. These are made by artists and are functional art made to John's high quality standards. Our artisans are paid fair wages and our expectation is that every case will be perfect. No expense has been spared. Nothing cheap about these cases. A number of AZers have had the opportunity to inspect these cases and the general opinion has be amazing. We will be posting more pictures, tops, bottoms and interiors.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
You Lost Me

Straight Pool said:
Additional information! These cases are being made in collaboration with John Barton in Xiamen, China. The center for Chinese artisans and craftsmen. These cases are not chinese knock offs. These are made by artists and are functional art made to John's high quality standards. Our artisans are paid fair wages and our expectation is that every case will be perfect. No expense has been spared. Nothing cheap about these cases. A number of AZers have had the opportunity to inspect these cases and the general opinion has be amazing. We will be posting more pictures, tops, bottoms and interiors.

SORRY, I'm not going to bolster the economy of a gigantic, emerging 3rd world country so they can utilize our planets resources and contribute to our ecological crisis at the same rate per capita we do.

I would also rethink your pricing. It eliminates the motivation many have to buy imports. Finally, at your current suggested retails, we can set up a sweat shop and manufacture knockoffs domestically.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
165   0   0
The Case Maker

Bamacues said:
Very nice looking cases. Where are they being made?

Well I guess since the information is now out there I can tell you that they are made in my shop in China. This is what has been consuming me for the last three months.

I have hinted at them on the board, I have taken them to the World Championships and walked all around Manilla with my black nappa 1x2.

I have to give the highest praise to Bob Hemphil, Ann Gore, Bill McDaniels, the folks at Centennial, Sam Engles, Mike Roberts (It's George), and Ron Thomas. Thank you for providing a great platform to build on.

This style of case has always been a personal goal of mine and one in which I somehow avoided while pursuing other things. However when I was asked if I could do it and I said yes then the personal challenge was on.

This is the simplest of cases from appearance but in fact is hard to do it right. As many of you know the Fellini cases have the leather folded over the ends. So do the Engles cases. And now also the GTF cases. The reason that you don't see more of this style done this way - on ANY leather goods - is that it's hard, meticulous handwork to lay down the leather just right.

We spent a lot of time in trial and error to develop the techniques to do this step and get the ends done as perfectly as humanly possible.

I looked at everything my predecessors had done on this great style of case and tried to do it as well or better than they had done it. I have tried to improve the latches, to improve the pressure fit vacuum like seal, to improve the way the cases hold and protect the cues. I have put everything I have learned in 17 years of cue case making into these cases.

The result is a product I am truly proud to be associated with. It's a case that embodies for me the transition of pool into the modern game. When I look at the old pictures and video and see that Mosconi, Greenleaf and other great players carried one cue in a simple leather satchel and then we fast forward to today where the best players have an arsenal at their disposal, the case is a clear symbol of how the game has changed.

And this style of case was the catalyst in my opinion. From the 1x2 Fellinis to the 2x4 Centennials to the "Tour Edition" 3x6 It's George cases.

It's sad that this case fell out of favor with the advent of the individual tube style cases and with the proliferation of the foam core style cases. But of course as has been seen on this very board they have never gone out of style with the true fans and historians of the game.

Now, after being intimately involved with this style of case and seeing all the details one must pay attention to in order to make this "simple" case, I am quite humbled by it. Of all the cases I have ever made I have never felt so much the pool player as when I walked into the poolroom in the Phillipines with just my slim black leather 1x2 GTF case and my skill.

So, I hope sincerely that the cases meet and exceed your expectations.

John Barton, case maker

MasterClass

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Its kind of expensive. Even more expensive then those nice Ron Thomas cases?

Considering where they are made i thought that it would be very much cheaper.

Just offering an opinion. At that price i will definitely not be picking one up. Even if they are sold at the same price as a Ron Thomas i will still pick a Ron Thomas for i think his case are excellent.

nasc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Made in China? How much do we have to pay for the lead remediation? Faagedaboutt it.
Glen

guycrunch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
i agree. why do i want to pay a premium for non-us goods when there are craftsmen like ron thomas and jack justis here in the states? so far the advantage for imports is the inexpensive price and now you want to eliminate that. i'll be sticking with the us-made cases.

guy

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
165   0   0
ribdoner said:
SORRY, I'm not going to bolster the economy of a gigantic, emerging 3rd world country so they can utilize our planets resources and contribute to our ecological crisis at the same rate per capita we do.

I would also rethink your pricing. It eliminates the motivation many have to buy imports. Finally, at your current suggested retails, we can set up a sweat shop and manufacture knockoffs domestically.

Politics aside, I would advise anyone to go ahead and produce this style of case. It's a great case. Once you start making them you will see the work involved to get them right, because as I found, it's quite easy to get them wrong. Perhaps when people actually do the work then they will appreciate what goes into them and the price will be more palatable.

After all a cue is certainly worth more than the sum of it's materials is it not? (At least most cues)

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
109   0   0
JB Cases said:
Well I guess since the information is now out there I can tell you that they are made in my shop in China. This is what has been consuming me for the last three months.

I have hinted at them on the board, I have taken them to the World Championships and walked all around Manilla with my black nappa 1x2.

I have to give the highest praise to Bob Hemphil, Ann Gore, Bill McDaniels, the folks at Centennial, Sam Engles, Mike Roberts (It's George), and Ron Thomas. Thank you for providing a great platform to build on.

This style of case has always been a personal goal of mine and one in which I somehow avoided while pursuing other things. However when I was asked if I could do it and I said yes then the personal challenge was on.

This is the simplest of cases from appearance but in fact is hard to do it right. As many of you know the Fellini cases have the leather folded over the ends. So do the Engles cases. And now also the GTF cases. The reason that you don't see more of this style done this way - on ANY leather goods - is that it's hard, meticulous handwork to lay down the leather just right.

We spent a lot of time in trial and error to develop the techniques to do this step and get the ends done as perfectly as humanly possible.

I looked at everything my predecessors had done on this great style of case and tried to do it as well or better than they had done it. I have tried to improve the latches, to improve the pressure fit vacuum like seal, to improve the way the cases hold and protect the cues. I have put everything I have learned in 17 years of cue case making into these cases.

The result is a product I am truly proud to be associated with. It's a case that embodies for me the transition of pool into the modern game. When I look at the old pictures and video and see that Mosconi, Greenleaf and other great players carried one cue in a simple leather satchel and then we fast forward to today where the best players have an arsenal at their disposal, the case is a clear symbol of how the game has changed.

And this style of case was the catalyst in my opinion. From the 1x2 Fellinis to the 2x4 Centennials to the "Tour Edition" 3x6 It's George cases.

It's sad that this case fell out of favor with the advent of the individual tube style cases and with the proliferation of the foam core style cases. But of course as has been seen on this very board they have never gone out of style with the true fans and historians of the game.

Now, after being intimately involved with this style of case and seeing all the details one must pay attention to in order to make this "simple" case, I am quite humbled by it. Of all the cases I have ever made I have never felt so much the pool player as when I walked into the poolroom in the Phillipines with just my slim black leather 1x2 GTF case and my skill.

So, I hope sincerely that the cases meet and exceed your expectations.

John Barton, case maker

Ummm,..
Why dont you and you'r cases go to china, and stay there.

Last edited:

nasc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Our artisans are paid fair wages and our expectation is that every case will be perfect. No expense has been spared. What are you paying them in ? Fish heads.
Glen

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
928   0   0
I know the folks had to come up with a manufacturer's suggested retail price, so I am not overly concerned about what seems to be somewhat high prices. The market will determine whether they are of a nice enough quality to command the full retail price, otherwise, you will see them significantly discounted. Personally, I hope that they are absolute killer quality like the old cases were. I think it is a great idea that someone is bringing back the old style cases. I love them for cue safety and compact size.
Joe

nasc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I think it is a great idea that someone is bringing back the old style cases. I love them for cue safety and compact size.
...What about Ron THomas? He makes a GREAT case.

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
928   0   0
nasc said:
I think it is a great idea that someone is bringing back the old style cases. I love them for cue safety and compact size.
...What about Ron THomas? He makes a GREAT case.

I won't knock Ron's cases a bit. He makes a great case, but I consider his cases more along the lines of a custom case vs a production case, as in the new versions mentioned here. I have owned a few Thomas cases, and they were all great. We will have to wait and see on the new imported cases as the jury is still out on them...actually, it has not even got going yet.
Joe

Last edited:

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
109   0   0
JB Cases said:
Politics aside, I would advise anyone to go ahead and produce this style of case. It's a great case. Once you start making them you will see the work involved to get them right, because as I found, it's quite easy to get them wrong. Perhaps when people actually do the work then they will appreciate what goes into them and the price will be more palatable.

After all a cue is certainly worth more than the sum of it's materials is it not? (At least most cues)

I am an american patriot that is sick and tired of this crap! GO AWAY!