4 Points from a Single Blank Question

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey Guys,

I have been working on my point techniques and have a question about cutting the points. After my recent "engagement" with my table saw, I'm not anxious to do any more close work there.
I built a skew after watching Bob Dzuricky's video on youtube and have tried to get 4 points from a square using that method, but I end up with two points and a funny-shaped flat piece from the middle. I believe Bob only gets two points from each blank with his method.
I remembered that Dick Neighbors discussed cutting 4 points from a single square blank. I found a reference from Rick Gedry back in Feb 2012 saying that Dick had "recently" posted how to do this. I have searched both the Cue Machinery and Supplies forum as well as here, using only RHNCue as the search parameter, and searched as far back as late 2010, but cannot find where he describes how to do it. He said he was getting tired of re-writing the same thing over and over for those who only wanted to be bottle-fed, and I can't blame him, hence I've not PM'd him directly.
It's not in Chris's book either.
Does anyone have a pointer to that technique?
Thanks for any help,
Gary

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Gary, the way I do it is as follows:
True up a square, and make sure it is the same size on all sides when done. I use a jointer and drum sander to do this. Then I use the jig in the picture. It's a micro dial from woodcraft...$140. It is very well made and makes adjusting the angle super easy and repeatable. I added the aluminum angle piece with a wood wall to better hold the blank square . I made a table to hold everything on the bandsaw and it allows for the adjustment of the size of the blank. You do have to know what thickness of the point blank on the end will be desired and also the length and make the adjustments from there. The last cut using my setup requires re-inserting the first point back in place to hold the blank, square thru the last cut. I went thru a few pieces of plain maple getting this to work. I did a piece of amboyna burl and the small end is 1.03" square which is still enough to make a forearm out of it. The points are already installed in the forearm so can't show how they were when cut, but they were perfect.
I'm sure there maybe a better way, but this works for me.
I also have the jig that Bob sells and just made a set of points with it and it works very well. Same method of squaring up the blanks, and then adjusting the fence properly. Bob has step by step instructions on his site.
Dave

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
point blanks

Bob has detailed instructions in using his jig. The size square makes a different if its 5/8 you'll get two, At 1" you'll get four.

Mario

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
With a little help from you my friends and some further headscratching, I figured out my problem. It's a combination of DZ's and Rick's methods, modified for the equipment I have. Dave, I did buy a MicroJig MicroDial Taper Jig. I found it most useful as a tool to build an accurate skew/sled as opposed to building a sled underneath it, but I might yet try that too.
Thanks all!
:thumbup:
Gary

P.S. I didn't notice that little end check in one of the blanks until just now - will have to replace it. :(

Attachments

• 20140427_190652.jpg
    20140427_190652.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 275
  • 20140427_193957.jpg
    20140427_193957.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 264
  • 20140427_194024.jpg
    20140427_194024.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 269
  • 20140427_194236.jpg
    20140427_194236.jpg