"Regulation" table term clarification

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"regulation" is a term I've never heard a player use, only non-players.

BuddyWing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regulation table is an 8 footer.
Tournament table is a 9 footer.
Barbox is a 7 footer .
I don't know what they call a 10 footer.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
calling a 10 a Big Foot seems appropriate,
or snooker table.
Then there's the modified 9 and the oversize 8.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regulation table is an 8 footer.
Tournament table is a 9 footer.
Barbox is a 7 footer .
I don't know what they call a 10 footer.

The term as I've always understood it, meant 9 foot table. I'd been playing over 30 years before I even saw an 8 foot table.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The term as I've always understood it, meant 9 foot table. I'd been playing over 30 years before I even saw an 8 foot table.

25 yrs ago Texas had more 8 footers than anything else-Don't ask me why-I don't know.

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All tables are 2:1 afaik.

"Regulation" to me would mean a 9-foot pool table, a 10-foot carom table or a 12-foot snooker table.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does regulation table mean its 2:1 ratio or it means a 9 footer?

Neither, it means the table has an accurate 2.0: 1.0 length width relationship, and is either 8-foot long, or 9-foot long, with corner pockets of a particular dimension (4.25"-4.75") and a 114º included angle, and the side pockets have a particular set of dimensions (4.75), that the bed of the table is at least 30" off the floor and that it is no higher than 32" off the floor, flat to 0.002",...

There are regulations as to the nose height of the bumpers and their speed, along with the speed of the clothe,...

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Regulation" should mean that the table meets the specs of the regulating agency, which in this case would mean BCA regulations, which is a 9ft table.
All proper tables have a 2:1 ratio length to width.

"Regulation" applied to any other size would be a misnomer.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does regulation table mean its 2:1 ratio or it means a 9 footer?
I think it depends on who is using the term. The obvious interpretation is that the table complies with the official equipment specifications which can be found on the WPA website, http://wpapool.com

Here are the items covered in the equipment specs:

1. Purpose
2. Table Bed Height
3. Design
4. Slates
5. Playing Surface
6. Rail and Cushion
7. Height of the Cushion
8. Cushion Rubber
9. Pocket Openings and Measurements
10. Pocket Liners
11. Ball Return and Drop Pockets
12. Cloth
13. Fastening of the Cloth (Guidelines)
14. Cleaning Table and Rail Cloth (Advised Preparation)
15. Lights
16. Balls and Ball Rack
17. Cue Sticks
18. Mechanical Bridge
19. Spacing Between Tables
20. Table Recognized by the WPA

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It wasn't THAT long ago that 8 foot tables were all over the South, along with 10 foot snooker tables. (Okay, I'm showing my age.)

And according to what I've read, 5x10 foot pool tables used to be commonplace in places like New York City. I played on one at McGirr's on 8th Avenue in the late 70's, and Brunswick Billiards in DC (14th & Irving St.) used to feature a shimmed 10 foot table right up front. Best table for ring games I ever played on.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Nothing beats playing pool in your underwear at 2 o'clock in the morning." George Fels 1938-2013

Been there, done that. Best if your wife's wearing earplugs.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I suppose "regulation" would apply to whichever rule set one is playing by. The only thing I know for sure is that when I hear someone say "regulation table" I take everything they have to say about pool with a grain of salt.

BuddyWing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brunswich refer to their 8 foot table as a regulation table and
their 9 foot table as a tournament table .
I have seen this in print many times ....