Advice needed about a tip change situation with three revo shafts of mine.

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was bringing my revo shafts in to a guy (I don't want to mention his name as of yet) and it appears that he has been sanding down the black vault plate a little bit each time.

This has kind of been like the frog in boiling water situation where I didn't notice this at first and also at the same time I really don't know anything about tip changes in general or the construction of
a revo. He also removed the red pad on all three shafts. I don't know if that is as a big of an issue as sanding down the vault plate.

He did other tip changes previously for me for other shafts and they turned out well.

My question is...

How should I approach this? Should I ask for him to pay the cost of each revo? What is fair for everyone?

I will update this thread with a picture of one the revo's he worked on vs a picture of a revo he didn't work on to show the difference.

photo.php

Last edited:

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Image is here

Attachments

• 53934085_10215856446018006_6368156505224511488_o.jpg
    53934085_10215856446018006_6368156505224511488_o.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 1,006
Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You would be absolutely amazed how many people in general not just mechanics, who just don't know.
The answer is.
Don't assume they know. Ask them before they work on it and make them aware.
Better safe than sorry!

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you send the revo in. They can install a new vault pad. As far as responsibility?
Tuff question but if you new it's importance and assumed he did. Your sought of at fault. Revo's and carbon fiber shafts are still new. I went thru a situation and replaced a ferrule on an OB because someone who shouldn't be working on cues, cut the c/f pad off on a tip install. The ferrule split. I called and told him to leave the pads alone. They're there for a reason.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was bringing my revo shafts in to a guy (I don't want to mention his name as of yet) and it appears that he has been sanding down the black vault plate a little bit each time.

This has kind of been like the frog in boiling water situation where I didn't notice this at first and also at the same time I really don't know anything about tip changes in general or the construction of
a revo. He also removed the red pad on all three shafts. I don't know if that is as a big of an issue as sanding down the vault plate.

He did other tip changes previously for me for other shafts and they turned out well.

My question is...

How should I approach this? Should I ask for him to pay the cost of each revo? What is fair for everyone?

I will update this thread with a picture of one the revo's he worked on vs a picture of a revo he didn't work on to show the difference.

photo.php

Paying for the cost of 3 Revo shafts is around $1,500!?! There's no way he would pay that so I don't think that's a good starting point.

I suggest talking to Predator to see if you can send you shafts in for repair. Pass the shipping and repair costs along to your tip installer.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You would be absolutely amazed how many people in general not just mechanics, who just don't know.
The answer is.
Don't assume they know. Ask them before they work on it and make them aware.
Better safe than sorry!

Heard a guy say he can reduce the diameter on a Revo. No problem at all. Wow huh?

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
REVO 12.4 & 12.9 PLAYING SHAFT TIP REPLACEMENT. REVO Carbon composite shafts have no ferrule. The front end is made up of the Predator V-TEK vault plate, red V-TEK Tip Silencer, and eight-layer Victory Tip. Because the shaft cannot be sanded, replacing the tip, and/or the tip silencer should only be done by an authorized Predator Repair Center equipped with the proper tools to protect your REVO shaft. In the event that you choose to replace the tip on your shaft through a non-authorized cue technician, the red V-TEK Tip-Silencer must remain at least .010” (0.25mm) thick to maintain the shaft’s integrity. Any reduction in the tip-silencer below .010” (0.25mm) will void the shaft’s limited-lifetime warranty and compromise its performance.

Repair Center Search: https://www.predatorcues.com/dealers/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Image is here

Looks like he had some super glue on the black vault and had to sand or chemically remove it.
Thanks for the pics.
Better not use super glue in replacing tips for Revo.

Why he removed the red backing, I have no clue.
That was not smart at all.
Unless he removes tips by using robogrips and the pad came off too when he removed the tip.
He should have replaced it right away.

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies so far.

Yea...I am pretty ignorant as far as tip changes. I guess I was thinking of this is similar to if I ask someone to put in a car radio for me...that my car wouldn't be damaged when he installs the radio. I don't know anything what goes into a car install and can't foresee why he would need to damage my car to finish the install (just common sense).

I certainly didn't feel like my thoughts and/or knowledge regarding shafts and tip changes were above him.

I just wished he had said he doesn't know how to work on this type of shaft and didn't make an attempt.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just wished he had said he doesn't know how to work on this type of shaft and didn't make an attempt.

I'll agree with that. But let's face it, the changes to shafts in the last couple of years has been huge. Never hesitate to ask. It's not insulting.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lmao
As long as it wasn't me saying it. I say. Go ahead, turn that fukker.

Well you just lost my business, I was going to have you turn down Alex's Revo to an 11.5 but if you can't even do that, I'll have to bring my tips to someone else... :p:D

I also wanted to make a 60" uncored ebony cue, but 12 oz so I can use it as a jump cue you'll probably tell us that is not possible either..

There is a reason I have one or two guys in New England work on my cues, one is Mr Webb, the other is a guy Mr Webb things highly of. End of story. Do things right hehe.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well you just lost my business, I was going to have you turn down Alex's Revo to an 11.5 but if you can't even do that, I'll have to bring my tips to someone else... :p:D

I also wanted to make a 60" uncored ebony cue, but 12 oz so I can use it as a jump cue you'll probably tell us that is not possible either..

There is a reason I have one or two guys in New England work on my cues, one is Mr Webb, the other is a guy Mr Webb things highly of. End of story. Do things right hehe.

Thank you very much.

Lmao. After the way he hit the tip of the Revo on the floor last nite. Fatter is definately better for young Alex.:grin-square:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you very much.

Lmao. After the way he hit the tip of the Revo on the floor last nite. Fatter is definately better for young Alex.:grin-square:

I need to bring him down so you can give him a talking, he has no control of swinging the cue no matter how many he broke.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Over the decades, I've heard so many of these accounts, it gets predictable. The cue repairman sands everything down to make it look nice and pristine. Trouble is, it takes off material. Not such a big deal with wood shafts everyone seems to replace like show laces. Trouble is, this is a bit more expensive Revo. This won't be the last time it comes up.

Learn to do tips yourself, with tape and sandpaper. Don't go into anything but the tip. That's the answer, but some addicted to the promise of the lathe will have a fit over that advice. But, that is the advice.

All the best,
WW

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need to bring him down so you can give him a talking, he has no control of swinging the cue no matter how many he broke.

He's a great kid. It's been a pleasure watching him growing into a man. I was there last nite as a fluke. I don't go there on Wednesdays because of the rediculous noise. That's not pool. It's a side show.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
So just outta curiosity, the Revo hasn't been out for that long, how many times did you
change the tip, and how many times did you take it to this tip guy to do that?

I don't think you can ask him to pay the cost of the shaft, but probably the cost of the
vault pad and install, but I think you're kind of on the hook for the cost of the tips and install.

You might approach him and ask if he does anyone else's Revo. Ask him if he was aware
of the vault pad or the way the Revo is constructed. It might be that he doesn't know about
it and it's a simple mistake that he'll own up to.

I wouldn't try to belittle him or makehim feel like a dumbass, you could wind up paying for
the repair yourself.I think in the end you'll probably wind up splitting the cost with him and
he will throw in the tip replacement.
Frustrating, I know, but I don't think I'd expect much more than that

Last edited:

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What tips didn't you like that you changed them out?

How many revo's do you need??