best slow and fast players

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
depending on what's happening, every player has slow/fast moments
but generally speaking,
which players seem to maintain a certain pace, with great success?
souquet is deliberate..but is he slow?
I've read here dan louie could race a turtle and lose
jay shaw and filler seem pretty quick..earl
efren often plays a brisk pace, but does sit and think from time to time
etc.

bonus
I think there are advantages/disadvantages either way
especially depending on the player
but how do you feel about slow/fast play?
any particular situations/stories come to mind?

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony Drago very fast.There is a youtube match with Filler with a 15 second clock.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Two of the slowest players won US Open 9-ball titles and that would be Ralf Souquet and Jeremy Jones. Of course, by reputation, the slowest ever player among top players was BCA Hall of Famer Frank Taberski, whose best pool was played about 100 years ago.

Agreed that Drago is the fastest, definitely faster than Butera and Salvas. For you old timers, there was a top player of the 1970's and 1980's from the Philadelphia area called Steve "Stevie Wonder" Dobrowolski. Steve played just about as fast as Drago, and probably faster than both Salvas and Butera.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone ever seen a “locally fast” player that wasn’t good? In my experience, the faster the player, the better he plays.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
depending on what's happening, every player has slow/fast moments
but generally speaking,
which players seem to maintain a certain pace, with great success?
souquet is deliberate..but is he slow?
I've read here dan louie could race a turtle and lose
jay shaw and filler seem pretty quick..earl
efren often plays a brisk pace, but does sit and think from time to time
etc.

bonus
I think there are advantages/disadvantages either way
especially depending on the player
but how do you feel about slow/fast play?
any particular situations/stories come to mind?
There's a zillion of hours of pool on the internet. Watch some and decide for yourself. This thread literally leads to nowhere.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are more great fast players than slow players. Mosconi, Sigel, Earl, Filler, Shaw come to mind.

The only slow player I can stand to watch is Soquet. A lot of slow players I believe are playing slow to ice the opponent. Soquet is a great player but he is slow because he is very mechanical and regimented.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i don't mind slow but i can't stand the getting up from the shot 3 times every other shot. orcollo, kaci, alex comes to mind

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drago could play at a world class speed with more consistency than any fast player I've seen. Salvas played faster but couldn't win at an International level like Drago.(Although Salvas did win an ESPN speed pool competition, running around the table wasn't that much different than how he plays anyway.) Don't sneeze at Rodney Morris, he is up there too. Earl and Siegel could play fast, especially Earl, but it wasn't really part of their identity. Roger Griffiths was fast too. Shaw and Filler play naturally quick, still not like Drago and Salvas who consistently flew around the table as if thats they way they HAD to shoot.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two of the slowest players won US Open 9-ball titles and that would be Ralf Souquet and Jeremy Jones. Of course, by reputation, the slowest ever player among top players was BCA Hall of Famer Frank Taberski, whose best pool was played about 100 years ago.

Agreed that Drago is the fastest, definitely faster than Butera and Salvas. For you old timers, there was a top player of the 1970's and 1980's from the Philadelphia area called Steve "Stevie Wonder" Dobrowolski. Steve played just about as fast as Drago, and probably faster than both Salvas and Butera.

I've honestly heard more of jj than I've seen him play, but he's obviously a thinker
taberski and dobrowolski I'm not hip to, but I googled stevie and found this shot:
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/new_strokeofgenius/mar09index.php
I actually couldn't see the vid, but nice synopsis of a nice shot
totally forgot about the tornado..another poster mentioned rocket rodney
it's amazing to me how quick, and well, those guys play
drago made me think of another rocket, ronnie o

this thread title unintentionally reads like a gimmick
but whether it's during the psr, shooting the shot
during a match, or a tournament
even practice, even off the table
fast, or slow, and in between
whatever comes natural to a player
or is created by thoughtful design