Brunswick Centennial Balls

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
$150 for a second-hand set 15-20 years old in good condition. Is that good value?
If they are still in size spec (2.250 +-.005 inches) it is a good price based on current Ebay offerings. Are there any surface defects? (bulging numbers, small voids in the rings, pits and scratches, ...) Are these balls you plan to play with or for display?

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they are still in size spec (2.250 +-.005 inches) it is a good price based on current Ebay offerings. Are there any surface defects? (bulging numbers, small voids in the rings, pits and scratches, ...)

Do pool balls actually get smaller? if they do, wouldn't the finish be compromised first?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do pool balls actually get smaller? if they do, wouldn't the finish be compromised first?
Polish restores some of the shine. Pool balls in pool halls are often a millimeter or two smaller than spec, which is a lot. Cue balls tend to be even smaller. Chalk dust on cloth = sandpaper. That's what you're playing on especially if the room doesn't vacuum frequently.

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a newer set with original box only used at home. I would take 150.00 for the set if interested.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have porcelain tile floors. Can I expect any ball that falls off the table to suffer damages?? Table doesn't arrive for a couple months. Personally when I play, balls very seldomly fall of the table.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
The only way to know is to check them out. Are there any cracks, chips and etc. Are any smaller than the others? Easy way to check is to take 3 balls bnext to each other and lay a straight edge across them.

Check to see if the numbers have popped. I have a older set of Cents and the numbers and rings popped up. You can feel them when you rub your finger across them.

🎱

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The price is too high....I just sold a set last week....great condition
and the price I charged was $135 plus shipping......I just rotated a
new set of Centennials in play yesterday....I only paid $200 for the
new set so I bought two at that price and am keeping the other as
backup......In 2019, I'll sell the set that's in pay now and buy another
new set. I like the pools balls to remain as close to original specs as
possible which is why I don't hang into them for 15 - 20 years.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In my travels around the country I have never seen more screwed up ball sizes than Centennial balls. I don't know why but it's almost always the 2 and 4 balls. I'll take the triangle and place stripes on the corners and the undersized balls easily roll under the rack without touching it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In my travels around the country I have never seen more screwed up ball sizes than Centennial balls. I don't know why but it's almost always the 2 and 4 balls. I'll take the triangle and place stripes on the corners and the undersized balls easily roll under the rack without touching it.
Too many nine ball players wearing down the solids.:angry:

Play more one pocket! And straight pool.

For a more accurate size estimate, put six stripes around the cue ball. If you arrange it so there is a single gap and all other balls are touching. The gap is three times the error of diameter of the cue ball. (Relative to the other balls, of course.)

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If any pool balls used in a ball polisher/cleaner, they will get smaller quicker.
10 year old pool balls using ball cleaner are usually 2 x 3/16 to 2 x 1/8.
Many rooms clean the balls every day. Now you're looking at 2 x 1/16.
Also, many rooms buy new CB's to go with old worn pool balls.
Thats like playing on old valley bar tables with over sized CB.
New pool balls every 5 years should be the norm...its not.
Good luck

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
01-24-2016, 08:34 PM ..........prior post a year ago.

I bought several sets of Centennials from nsafellow.....he may have some.......was previously selling new set $245.00.

Anyway, you have to stay on the lookout & actively browse. It doesn't always work, Been doin' that for a Hercek a long time.
I have bought 2 sets on ebay and 4 sets of Centennials from nsafellow. The lowest price I ever paid was $185 to nsafellow
and I got 2 sets. It's all timing and he doesn't always have new sets. He was recently offering new sets for $245. When I spot a
great price, I usually get more sets even though up until last week, I already had 3 sets....2 new. Now I'm down to one new set
on the shelf and I'm playing with the other new set right now. If I see more Centennial sets in the future at a great price, I'll get a
couple more. Why not? IMO, it;s the classiest looking design around but I know other have their own favorite brands of pool balls.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member

I think your rack is warped. 🙄

🎱

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
If any pool balls used in a ball polisher/cleaner, they will get smaller quicker.
10 year old pool balls using ball cleaner are usually 2 x 3/16 to 2 x 1/8.
Many rooms clean the balls every day. Now you're looking at 2 x 1/16.
Also, many rooms buy new CB's to go with old worn pool balls.
Thats like playing on old valley bar tables with over sized CB.
New pool balls every 5 years should be the norm...its not.
Good luck

This can not be right can it? Balls worn down to 2 1/8" or smaller??? They would play slow because it would effectively be like raising the cushion height on the table.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Usually those older sets have problems. It is usually the one ball that takes a beating the most especially if the set was used in a Pool Room. I wouldn't pay that much for them as there are often sets available on our site here at AZB.