Thinking of making a cue

n9neballking

Registered
I have a friend who makes cues, has all the setup. Was thinking of working with him to make a jump/break with similar inlays to my shooter. Are there specifics that i should look into about making a jump/break as opposed to making a standard shooting cue?

Sorry if i sound uneducated or broad, i kinda am both on this subject but have gotten to the point that i really want a stylish jump/break and this is about my only option. Could try to get one made by someone else but if i have access to the equipment and someone to show me along the way, why not?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I have a friend who makes cues, has all the setup. Was thinking of working with him to make a jump/break with similar inlays to my shooter. Are there specifics that i should look into about making a jump/break as opposed to making a standard shooting cue?

Sorry if i sound uneducated or broad, i kinda am both on this subject but have gotten to the point that i really want a stylish jump/break and this is about my only option. Could try to get one made by someone else but if i have access to the equipment and someone to show me along the way, why not?

Try this for ideas:

-Make a Sneaky Pete
-Cut it where you want a jump joint
-Install jump joint
-See how it works
-Modify design, rinse, repeat

Use high quality materials for best results.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
I share the opinion of the Flying Snail; why are you talking to us ?
You say you have a friend with a cue-shop and is willing to help.
What happens when info you've gotten here doesn't mesh with your CM's ?

n9neballking

Registered
I share the opinion of the Flying Snail; why are you talking to us ?
You say you have a friend with a cue-shop and is willing to help.
What happens when info you've gotten here doesn't mesh with your CM's ?

basically all i was looking for is for anything that is specific to making a jump/break with inlays. like a specific thing you need to look for or a certain wood to avoid.

just always like to gather as much info as possible and different opinions and then form my own when attempting something new.

i know about zero but have a working brain and 2 working hands that are steady. if i fail, ill try again.

once again, just looking for any problems that may be specific to making a j/b with inlays.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member

Let's go back to your opening post because that's where this all started, for us anyway.
Have you even spoken to your CM friend about your project ?
If so, again, why are you asking us ? Do you not see a conflict of interest on the horizon ?

I'm going to play devil's advocate here just to give you an idea of what you're doing.
Let's say I was this unwitting CM and you came into my shop.
The instant that you said, "well on AZB they said", I'd be showing you the door.
You're disrepecting your chosen CM, who you suggest is going to allow the use of his equipment
and his time, to show you how to do what you want to accomplish. "But , they said on AZB....."

You haven't spoken to him yet, have you ? Wouldn't you now think, that would be a better first move ?
Hence my, "why are you talking to us ?"

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope this works out for you. A great way to compromise a friendship. Would be to use someone's machines. Usually doesn't work out so well. Good luck.

n9neballking

Registered
Let's go back to your opening post because that's where this all started, for us anyway.
Have you even spoken to your CM friend about your project ?
If so, again, why are you asking us ? Do you not see a conflict of interest on the horizon ?

I'm going to play devil's advocate here just to give you an idea of what you're doing.
Let's say I was this unwitting CM and you came into my shop.
The instant that you said, "well on AZB they said", I'd be showing you the door.
You're disrepecting your chosen CM, who you suggest is going to allow the use of his equipment
and his time, to show you how to do what you want to accomplish. "But , they said on AZB....."

You haven't spoken to him yet, have you ? Wouldn't you now think, that would be a better first move ?
Hence my, "why are you talking to us ?"

i see! never thought about this. thank you!

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Excellent, you got what I was saying.
I wasn't trying to bust your chops but rather to get you to see from the CM's perspective.
Seriously, you want to get with that person to discuss your plans.
You'll be amazed with what they will tell you. They are going to be your guidance
through all of this so get with him/her and start talking about it.
Another way to look at it is, "Too many cooks will spoil the pot". Who wants spoiled pot ?
Good Luck with your endeavor.

KJ

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
I read this and took it that maybe the friend is not experienced enough to get full confidence from the OP and he just wanted some expert opinions......Orrrrrr.,,,,,,,,, the OP is just so excited about building his new cue, he just came to this friendly forum to talk about it.......... hmmmmmmm

n9neballking

Registered
I read this and took it that maybe the friend is not experienced enough to get full confidence from the OP and he just wanted some expert opinions......Orrrrrr.,,,,,,,,, the OP is just so excited about building his new cue, he just came to this friendly forum to talk about it.......... hmmmmmmm

kinda this as well. but i do know he has been working with a more accomplished CM in our area and heard he has been improving. and i am super stoked about possibly making my own.

doesnt really matter tho, i do need to talk with him and see what his thoughts are. its the right thing to do