Uneven radius

jeromyh13

Registered
New to doing tips. I'm using a midsize cue smith, blade rest and blade to radius. The radius seems to be taller on one side than the other.

Any advice? IMG_4431.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Either the shaft is not centered or the radius tool is not centered to the shaft.

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What Eric said. Don't forget that you turned your cutter in slightly. If you forget to move it back to center, you're going to see exactly that. Not saying that's what's happening but it would certainly be a cause. I never use the radius templates.

jeromyh13

Registered
What Eric said. Don't forget that you turned your cutter in slightly. If you forget to move it back to center, you're going to see exactly that. Not saying that's what's happening but it would certainly be a cause. I never use the radius templates.

This is what I use. IMG_4430.JPG

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Shaft not centered on the lathe? I'm using a blade to shape by hand.

Gotcha. I misunderstood your first post. It appears what you have going on is that the tip may be harder on one side than the other, so it cuts unevenly. Try using a freshly sharpened HSS bit in your tool post, set at the angle you want for the beginning of your radius. Cut the initial angle with the bit, then finish out the radius with your razor or utility blade.

jeromyh13

Registered
Gotcha. I misunderstood your first post. It appears what you have going on is that the tip may be harder on one side than the other, so it cuts unevenly. Try using a freshly sharpened HSS bit in your tool post, set at the angle you want for the beginning of your radius. Cut the initial angle with the bit, then finish out the radius with your razor or utility blade.

Gotcha. Great idea. Much appreciated. Thanks

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
or just forget the cutting tool in the toolpost altogether.

Use a carpet knife to get it close and then tweak it with it spinning with a tip shaper.

jeromyh13

Registered
I think i got it. The shaft has a slight lift. I moved the tip MUCH closer to the jaws and it made it run a little more true which helped keep everything square and true.

Thanks everyone for the help. It's great that you all took the time to point some things out. It's much appreciated.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think i got it. The shaft has a slight lift. I moved the tip MUCH closer to the jaws and it made it run a little more true which helped keep everything square and true.

Thanks everyone for the help. It's great that you all took the time to point some things out. It's much appreciated.

Not to knock your way of fixing it, but if that was the case wouldn't the shaper jig have shown your shaft not spinning true? With the pictures your provided you should have seen the tip walking from one side of the jig to the other. If you didn't, then there was another issue at hand you fixed without knowing it.