i stand by my comments
the "free" lssson was a loss leader to try to get lessons for pay
come on matt
admit that your free lessons are an attempt to get a paying customer
and not out of your " benevolence"
fwiw
even for free for me it was not worth it
:banghead:

I'm like other instructors, I do a mix of paid lessons, discount paid lessons and free lessons for those people with tight finances. From AZ, I also do fix-it lessons for free--one and done.

Is it wrong to get paid for something and to offer the first one free? Aren't there thousands of products sold this way? I'm not sure I understand your objection there.

My free lessons last an hour to two hours or more. Ours lasted minutes, you argued with me and refused to try new things. I did not wish to end the lesson and my offer stands to continue it with you. "Does our law condemn a man without first hearing him to find out what he has been doing?"
-- John 7:51

A goal of my lessons is to have the student shoot most of the shots. People who try my more unorthodox techniques like them, you told me multiple times I was wrong and tried only a few strokes but got upset when I suggested to you to slow down and discuss what I'd like to see you do before you shoot then argue with me (I don't mind debates and arguments--just look at this thread--I do mind people not listening to what I say before telling me they know it all and I'm wrong). That's just like this thread, "You're stupid! I don't understand your diagram, but in my heart, I know it's wrong! I won't watch your video, but it must be wrong!" Looks like a duck-and-dodge to me and others.

We didn't do a basic lesson on fundamentals, but specifically to try some of my more fun ideas. It looks in hindsight like you just wanted to argue and not do a lesson at all. Heck, I would have let YOU give ME a lesson, too. I like learning. But a five-minute "I hate your ideas" is not a lesson review to me nor does it reflect my character.

Steve Lillis and Allan Sand are well respected in our sport, and I appreciate their sincere comments on the Instructor Review thread. They are not trolls! Perhaps Sparkle will apologize for his accusations now.

Here's one from my archives:

To whom it may concern...

I have witnessed Matt Sherman teach billiards (pool) and have found him to present instructional information in a foundationally sound and pleasant manner...creating a healthy bonding process with his students.

I would encourage anyone wanting to tune his or her game to take a lesson from this player-friendly instructor.

Tom "Dr. Cue" Rossman

Last edited:

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like it might be a disguised blessing this week: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=497735

Steve Lillis:
Join date--11/19/2014
Total Posts--2
Last post previous to yesterdays--1/5/2015 (4 and 1/2 yrs.ago)

Allan P. Sand
Join date--3/2/2005
Total Posts--385
Last post previous to yesterdays--9/15/2016 (just short of 3 yrs. ago)

Take a look at Allan Sands website https://www.billiardgods.com/free-downloads/
Click on the free stuff. Well, it's not actually free, 1st you have to buy it and if your not satisfied there's a 7 day money back guarantee.
The best part is you pay through a company named Fastspring https://www.trustpilot.com/review/fastspring.com
I was gonna "buy" some of the "free stuff" but if I wasn't satisfied I was a wee bit worried about the "money back guarantee"
Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good deals on there. Pretty much everything is discounted. You know...regular price/my price. Reminds me of those going out of business sales at the furniture stores. Everything must go--50-70% off.
I don't know about where you live but where I live all those stores are still in business...23 yrs. later. It's very strange.

All I can say is that BilliardsAbout must think we're all very very stupid.
I'm sure his reply will be that just because they haven't posted for years doesn't mean they're bad people.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Matt
I have given my opinion of our interaction and your lesson with me
I stand by it
Offering a free trial with the person knowing in advance there is a fee to continue is transparency
I dont think you are always transparent
Jmho

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Matt
I have given my opinion of our interaction and your lesson with me
I stand by it
Offering a free trial with the person knowing in advance there is a fee to continue is transparency
I dont think you are always transparent
Jmho

Yes, we had a brief lesson and didn't click together. Yes, you are right. I should change offers to "first lesson free" although I think that's similar to "free lesson". Again, I do one-and-dones for free from AZ often.

You mentioned benevolence before, I try to give privately and not boast about it, but the truth is deeper, I give many more free and discounted lessons than I probably should, because I enjoy teaching as much or more than playing!

Thank you.

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Steve Lillis:
Join date--11/19/2014
Total Posts--2
Last post previous to yesterdays--1/5/2015 (4 and 1/2 yrs.ago)

Allan P. Sand
Join date--3/2/2005
Total Posts--385
Last post previous to yesterdays--9/15/2016 (just short of 3 yrs. ago)

Take a look at Allan Sands website https://www.billiardgods.com/free-downloads/
Click on the free stuff. Well, it's not actually free, 1st you have to buy it and if your not satisfied there's a 7 day money back guarantee.
The best part is you pay through a company named Fastspring https://www.trustpilot.com/review/fastspring.com
I was gonna "buy" some of the "free stuff" but if I wasn't satisfied I was a wee bit worried about the "money back guarantee"
Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good deals on there. Pretty much everything is discounted. You know...regular price/my price. Reminds me of those going out of business sales at the furniture stores. Everything must go--50-70% off.
I don't know about where you live but where I live all those stores are still in business...23 yrs. later. It's very strange.

All I can say is that BilliardsAbout must think we're all very very stupid.
I'm sure his reply will be that just because they haven't posted for years doesn't mean they're bad people.

I don't think you're stupid, just angry, and I'm trying to calm you. I posted this to a few trusted friends this week:

There’s a new page about me at the AZ Billiards Forums in Instructor Reviews. I’d consider it a great favor if you would please post there your honest feedback about my pool instruction skills, my pool writing, and my personal character, at: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=497735

THANK YOU.

Did I do something wrong with my e-mail above, do you think? And do you think Steve and Allan are lying about me? What about Dr. Cue? Was he telling the truth, do you think?

Repeating, if you want a real Instructor Review page about me you'd take a free lesson from me. I'll give you a two-hour lesson! You steer the lesson and agenda. Deal or no deal?

But don't say bad things about Allan or Steve--they are both incredibly popular and respected. Allan has more than 10 pool instruction books, printed in multiple languages: https://www.thriftbooks.com/a/allan-p-sand/1907395/ Steve is a church elder and has taught pool in 30 nations around the world. He is a life master at Straight Pool and was formerly ranked in the top pro ranks, despite multiple times away from the game and much work away from the tables.

Good pool people stick together, I’ve collaborated with Allan and Steve, Ronny Park, Tim “The Monk” Miller, Donny Lutz, Tony Robles, Dom Esposito, Allan P. Sand, Tom Kennedy, Max Eberle, Mike Massey, Dom “The Drill Instructor” Esposito, Nancy Cote, Tom “Dr. Cue” Rossman, Tom Simpson, Jason “The Michigan Kid” Lynch, Neil Johnson, Doug “Pool Tables 101” Walters, Ted Mauro, Ken Tewksbury and more . . . but most of these stay off/stayed off AZ because of the toxicity from some who are legendary forum trolls! Please don't be part of the toxic environment here.

Going forward here are choices:

1) Respond to any of my illustrations, my video or a dozen facts about wrist swoop and pro swoops here--I've noticed that every person on this thread who dislikes swooping has not said ONE FACT in the entire thread that refutes ANY of my posted facts! And not one of them has answered a SINGLE QUESTION I've posted of many! For example, I ask you again, how do pros who aim every shot at the base of the cue ball, and stroke their practice strokes there also, get english without swooping?

2) Take some time to get to know me, and see I'm a nice fellow and a competent instructor!

3) Keep your word, given multiple times in this thread already, that you were done with me and done discussing the issues with me, and let's agree to disagree, but don't post garbage about me without responding to my sincere questions, like those above.

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The toxic environment thing can be controlled with the ignore feature. I have been lax in enjoying that feature. (too bad for me) But that has all changed.
Trying to persuade some hard heads to open their minds is an impossibility. Even good natured harmless satire exacerbates their anger, ignorance, prejudices, and anxiety.
And...if you've collaborated with Tom Kennedy and Mike Massey, then you've worked on stuff with two of the finest men of character and spiritual truth around.
In the good book, Matthew 10:14 tells you exactly what to do about all this.
Have a good day.
:thumbup2:

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony Robles does the video demonstrations at some of my pool sites

If that's the case then give us a link. I'd love to see Tony demonstrating some of your techniques.
You have multiple pool sites? How bout some links to those also.

The video I posted on this thread shows how an offset stroke and a wrist swoop stroke are the same yet different. Replacing the cue ball with a ghost cue ball shows the same entry point, different exit points. Your response to that video is…? Any facts to share?

Here's my response containing the facts:
In the 8 second video I see a carpet, a pen, a hand and forearm (which I assume are yours) and some round thing (I don't know what it is) sitting on the carpet. What I don't see are a pool table, a pool cue or a cueball.
If you think that demonstrates or proves your assertions about swooping then your out of your mind.

If you are not angry, you would not make baseless accusations and would calmly share facts as to why I'm incorrect regarding swooping on this thread or a short bridge (at times) on another thread. I've also offered to give you a lesson since you posted an Instructor Review thread about me. If you really sought to know if I'm as good as I say, you'd take a free lesson from me. That would justify your starting the Instructor Thread.

How many times do I have to tell you I have no interest in a lesson. My reason for the review post was to give one of your satisfied students an opportunity to tell us how great you are. Didn't happen.

Re: lesson/ You're in Fla. I'm in NH. How can I possibly get a lesson? Through some video chat platform? Once again you're displaying your ignorance if you think you can give any kind of effective pool lesson that way.

Re: swooping/ No one is disputing that some people address the CB in a certain way and then hit it elsewhere. This could be by swooping or something else. It's irrelevant however. The exchanges between you and I and those between you and others have nothing to do with swooping. You can't seem to grasp that.
It's that you continue to make incorrect and/or way out in left field statements (and sometimes out and out fabrications) and when questioned fail to provide any evidence supporting them. You can gloss over this all you want but I can give plenty of examples if you'd like. From this thread, other threads on AZB and from liveabout.com/mattsherman. Let me know, it's a long weekend, I'm not doing much and am in need of some entertainment.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
If that's the case then give us a link. I'd love to see Tony demonstrating some of your techniques.
You have multiple pool sites? How bout some links to those also.

Here's my response containing the facts:
In the 8 second video I see a carpet, a pen, a hand and forearm (which I assume are yours) and some round thing (I don't know what it is) sitting on the carpet. What I don't see are a pool table, a pool cue or a cueball.
If you think that demonstrates or proves your assertions about swooping then your out of your mind.

How many times do I have to tell you I have no interest in a lesson. My reason for the review post was to give one of your satisfied students an opportunity to tell us how great you are. Didn't happen.

Re: lesson/ You're in Fla. I'm in NH. How can I possibly get a lesson? Through some video chat platform? Once again you're displaying your ignorance if you think you can give any kind of effective pool lesson that way.

Re: swooping/ No one is disputing that some people address the CB in a certain way and then hit it elsewhere. This could be by swooping or something else. It's irrelevant however. The exchanges between you and I and those between you and others have nothing to do with swooping. You can't seem to grasp that.
It's that you continue to make incorrect and/or way out in left field statements (and sometimes out and out fabrications) and when questioned fail to provide any evidence supporting them. You can gloss over this all you want but I can give plenty of examples if you'd like. From this thread, other threads on AZB and from liveabout.com/mattsherman. Let me know, it's a long weekend, I'm not doing much and am in need of some entertainment.

I have answers for all of your questions above, but let's start with you going back and answering a single question I've posted for you in this thread, since I've asked you about two dozen questions!

Start with this one: "How do top playing pros who aim and practice stroke at the absolute base of the cue ball for all shots get english without a swooping stroke?"

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
51 now 52 and still asking WHY. WHY OH WHY did he hit it that way. LOL

Quite difficult to see clearly due to camera angle and blurry video, but looks like he hit the cue ball with the right edge of his cue stick tip, the cue moving left, imparting a bit of left spin with a small swoop.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They could be moving their bridge hand to the spot where they want the cue to go to
rather than maintaining the bridge position

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have answers for all of your questions above, but let's start with you going back and answering a single question I've posted for you in this thread, since I've asked you about two dozen questions!

Start with this one: "How do top playing pros who aim and practice stroke at the absolute base of the cue ball for all shots get english without a swooping stroke?"

Duh. 2 posts ago (#270) I addressed that question. You must have missed it, or possibly, saw but failed to comprehend (why am I not surprised). Anyway, I'll repeat myself .
"Re: swooping/ No one is disputing that some people address the CB in a certain way and then hit it elsewhere. This could be by swooping or something else."

Okay, now you can answer the questions I asked as you said you would (highlighted in blue above).
Wait...hold the presses. I just realized you didn't actually say you'd answer my questions.
Yeah what you said is "I have answers for all of your questions above". Just because you have the answers doesn't mean you're actually going to divulge them.
Sorry, my mistake. Let the doublespeak march on.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Duh. 2 posts ago (#270) I addressed that question. You must have missed it, or possibly, saw but failed to comprehend (why am I not surprised). Anyway, I'll repeat myself .
"Re: swooping/ No one is disputing that some people address the CB in a certain way and then hit it elsewhere. This could be by swooping or something else."

Okay, now you can answer the questions I asked as you said you would (highlighted in blue above).
Wait...hold the presses. I just realized you didn't actually say you'd answer my questions.
Yeah what you said is "I have answers for all of your questions above". Just because you have the answers doesn't mean you're actually going to divulge them.
Sorry, my mistake. Let the doublespeak march on.

I have answered every question you've posted until the most recent, exceptionally rude post. I've answered some of them with 9 or 10 separate points, with no replies. You are yet to answer the question, so I'll rephrase:

What is the "something else" that is not swoop (a change of direction on the final forward stroke), since they aim at absolute dead center, then backstroke to absolute dead center on the final stroke?

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
They could be moving their bridge hand to the spot where they want the cue to go to
rather than maintaining the bridge position

You are saying pros move the bridge hand during their final forward stroke, aiming at the base of the ball, backstroking to dead center, then moving the bridge hand on the final forward stroke, as in the OP?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You are saying pros move the bridge hand during their final forward stroke, aiming at the base of the ball, backstroking to dead center, then moving the bridge hand on the final forward stroke, as in the OP?
it’s just speculation

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I like speculating on pool techniques. But sparkle will be unable to use that for an answer to my question. :)
https://youtu.be/MnT22XJlDHo?t=579

I speculate it was just bad follow through. You can even see his cue steer to the right when he got up early .
https://youtu.be/MnT22XJlDHo?t=579

Lord, that 9 was a hanger and the cue ball was in no danger of scratching unless he drew it .
The 9 also went in almost hitting the end rail facing. He hit it a little fat.

Here , he shoots a perfect center follow when you think he needed a little inside.
https://youtu.be/MnT22XJlDHo?t=478

But, people are going to think he's doing some top secret stuff. Well, some anyway.
Reminds me of people claiming Earl Strickland turns the cue on his follow through to get more spin.

Last edited: