Uni-Lock Quick Release or Radial Pins?

Phoenixblade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which do you prefer Uni-Lock Quick Release or Radial Pins? effects of those two interms of playability of the cue???:D:thumbup:

PetToilet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
radial. more feedback and contact, while some quick release have a tendency to come slightly unscrewed during play. The brass insert of the quick release may allow slihgtly more forward balance though.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Am I the only one who thinks the quick release joints are goofy?

I build totally custom cues. What ever the customer wants, I usually build. My standard pin is a brass Radial pin. I try to talk people into using that pin as I'm set up for it's use. If the customer demands I'll use another pin, at an additional cost, except a Uni-loc, unless it is a J/B cue. I believe it is an inferior designed pin that is not needed in a playing cue. Is it so important to be able to put your cue together or apart 2 or 3 seconds faster when starting or finishing play? The first time someone gets a bit of dirt in their joint and can't get the shaft off they won't like them so much either.

Dick

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
I believe it is an inferior designed pin that is not needed in a playing cue. Is it so important to be able to put your cue together or apart 2 or 3 seconds faster when starting or finishing play? The first time someone gets a bit of dirt in their joint and can't get the shaft off they won't like them so much either.

Dick

Dick I agree 100%. You'll never see one in a Varney cue. If someone needs a quicker pin in the jump joint then I'd rather cut half the threads off a 3/8-10 and have it screw into phenolic....works fine & thats as quick as you need.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The radial only takes 8 turns to tighten.
If you're too lazy to do that, you're probably jumping on all of your shots .

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
They both install very accurately, and you'd be extremely hard-pressed to tell the difference in how they play if you didn't know which pin was in the cue.

I think the Radial is a better system though. Less prone to problems down the road, and more durable.

Phoenixblade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys:rolleyes::D Radial Pin Wins:p ..im also confuse bout The United Joint from the Mezz Cues...Anywayz I'll stick to Radial:embarrassed2:

RocketQ

It's Not Rocket Science
Silver Member
outrun

I build totally custom cues. What ever the customer wants, I usually build. My standard pin is a brass Radial pin. I try to talk people into using that pin as I'm set up for it's use. If the customer demands I'll use another pin, at an additional cost, except a Uni-loc, unless it is a J/B cue. I believe it is an inferior designed pin that is not needed in a playing cue. Is it so important to be able to put your cue together or apart 2 or 3 seconds faster when starting or finishing play? The first time someone gets a bit of dirt in their joint and can't get the shaft off they won't like them so much either.

Dick

Sometimes you have to outrun the bad guys.... LOL

I don't like the quick release either. Seems to deaden the vibration.

John

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting thread ,no one likes the uni lock joint.I found a list of cue makers who use it.Not trying to start an arguement but...........
Dishaw
DP
Drexler
Falcon
GW
Joss West
Lucasi
McDermott
Preditor
The list is on the Billards Warehouse site for Universal shafts.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting thread ,no one likes the uni lock joint.I found a list of cue makers who use it.Not trying to start an arguement but...........
Dishaw
DP
Drexler
Falcon
GW
Joss West
Lucasi
McDermott
Preditor
The list is on the Billards Warehouse site for Universal shafts.

You'll get no argument from me, But here's my thoughts on it, I work on a lot of cues, I have used it in three cues in my career, I'm just not that impressed with anything about it. Everyone says, Ohhhhhhhhhhh, the cue goes together so quick, I said that's nice, What are you going to do that 5 more seconds is going to change. There are other reasons but Please accept my nice guy answer.
Thanks

Luposian

Registered
Does a decade make a difference?

Looks like I'm coming into this thread a bit late, but wondering if, in 10 years, has anything changed about the "quick-lock" (or the dozen other names/ways that are used) system for cues? Are they any better? Used more? Used less?

I don't see a problem taking the time to assemble/disassemble my Eastpoint 1-1-01226-WPP cue. There's a "feeling" to that time taken. Even if you're a total amatuer player, like me. It's all part of the game. The set-up, getting ready to play, and the take-down, when you're done playing. It's not an inconvenience... it's a warm-up and cool-down period! I think it shows a type of professionalism to the entire experience of the pool game, not just an insignificant moment before and after the game. Any thoughts?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like I'm coming into this thread a bit late, but wondering if, in 10 years, has anything changed about the "quick-lock" (or the dozen other names/ways that are used) system for cues? Are they any better? Used more? Used less?

I don't see a problem taking the time to assemble/disassemble my Eastpoint 1-1-01226-WPP cue. There's a "feeling" to that time taken. Even if you're a total amatuer player, like me. It's all part of the game. The set-up, getting ready to play, and the take-down, when you're done playing. It's not an inconvenience... it's a warm-up and cool-down period! I think it shows a type of professionalism to the entire experience of the pool game, not just an insignificant moment before and after the game. Any thoughts?

I can tell you the quick release hasn't changed, but I have. It has become one of my most popular requested joints.
My comfort zone and experience working with it is the only change. I'm glad I did.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I install whatever pin or insert the customer wants when it`s a repair job, as long as I have the tooling and pins/insert they ask for.
But for my own stuff I offer the kinds of pins I have carbide sanding mandrels for.
Uni-Loc is popular, so I have no problem offering that pin option, even though it`s not my personal prefrence.
I also find Uni-Loc pins much easier to install with a router and a long 5/32" / 4mm end mill.

bstroud

Deceased
As the creator of both the Radial and the Uniloc perhaps I should explain why I came up with the ideas.

The Uniloc was invented to provide a simpler and more precise pin that the 5/16- 18 and 5/16-14 that were being used at that time . Speed had nothing to do with it.

The Radial was developed to replace the 3/8-10 pin that I also created so the I would have a more precise pin that fit directly into the wood of the shaft without so much slop.

Both designs seem to have been a success with a lot of players and cuemakers.

I have played for years with both designs and really can't tell much difference in how they affect the play of a cue. There are way too many other factors to consider.

Bill Stroud

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I certainly like all three of those pins( thank you) and I found ways to snug up the 3/8 10.

Hope you are doing well.

Mario

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I certainly like all three of those pins( thank you) and I found ways to snug up the 3/8 10.

Hope you are doing well.

Mario

Easiest way to have a snug 3/8x10 is to start with the right hole and tap for the screw. :thumbup:

IMG_20191018_004601.jpg

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
As the creator of both the Radial and the Uniloc perhaps I should explain why I came up with the ideas.

The Uniloc was invented to provide a simpler and more precise pin that the 5/16- 18 and 5/16-14 that were being used at that time . Speed had nothing to do with it.

The Radial was developed to replace the 3/8-10 pin that I also created so the I would have a more precise pin that fit directly into the wood of the shaft without so much slop.

Both designs seem to have been a success with a lot of players and cuemakers.

I have played for years with both designs and really can't tell much difference in how they affect the play of a cue. There are way too many other factors to consider.

Bill Stroud

:bow-down::bow-down::bow-down: