Antique dresser walnut

sureman183

Got "Boti's" ??
Silver Member
i know this is out of line, but i don't usually buy antiques. [only pool cues] but it was at
a estate sale & really liked it, asked wife & she liked it also. so we bought it. have no idea what its worth? anyone know where to search for info? thanks in advance. Don

Attachments

• DSCN2231.JPG
    DSCN2231.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 763
  • DSCN2232.JPG
    DSCN2232.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 762
  • DSCN2233.JPG
    DSCN2233.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 757
  • DSCN2236.JPG
    DSCN2236.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 743
  • DSCN2237.JPG
    DSCN2237.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 746

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
It is very attractive. What makes you think that it's an antique (100 years old), any manufacturers markings or particular details (dove tailing) ?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Acorn pulls used to be really popular. Ballpark on that is probaby 6-900bux. Google search dresser w/acorn pulls and you'll see a lot of stuff. Nice piece. UD: may have been a bit high on estimate. Quik search showed one like that for 450bux. Still a nice piece.

Last edited:

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Nice looking piece and super condition. Regarding value, first thing I would look for is the name of the maker on back, or possibly underneath, noting the quality of the joinery along the way.

It looks very nice and solid. Almost too nice to be super old for that matter.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Locks on that arent antique.

Like cues, only worth what someone will pay for it.
You established a price.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like a nice piece. I know the pics are not the best, but I'm not seeing any walnut in the OP's dresser. The confirmed original that garczar posted definitely shows walnut on the top and possibly on the corner structure. The drawer fronts looks like some good old pristine chestnut. Interesting for sure! I like the contrast of the light wood with the walnut. Brunswick did that on some of the early art deco styles in the 30s'

Last edited:

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Locks on that arent antique.

Like cues, only worth what someone will pay for it.
You established a price.

To be fair, we don’t see any locks. Or anything that could show its real age/value. But from my history of watching Antiques Roadshow, that is not an antique. Might be a quality piece, but I don’t see anything that dictates antique. I’d say anything under $500 is a good deal.

There should be marking/label somewhere on it. Additional photos showing fasteners/joinery could help more.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another disturbing feature, which points to a later built piece, is the fact that the mirror is not beveled nor does it show some of the typical blisters common on antique mirrors..

It is, however a nice looking piece and if you and your wife like it, I say enjoy!

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be fair, we don’t see any locks. Or anything that could show its real age/value. But from my history of watching Antiques Roadshow, that is not an antique. Might be a quality piece, but I don’t see anything that dictates antique. I’d say anything under $500 is a good deal.

There should be marking/label somewhere on it. Additional photos showing fasteners/joinery could help more.

Isnt there a lock on the big drawers? Top center of each ?
Those appear to be the same locks as Lane Chests

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isnt there a lock on the big drawers? Top center of each ?
Those appear to be the same locks as Lane Chests

Those are the keyholes you see. Nothing that determines age or value. The lock can only be seen from the inside of the drawer.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the mirror is original to the piece it will have a date on it, you will have to remove the back to see it.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are the keyholes you see. Nothing that determines age or value. The lock can only be seen from the inside of the drawer.

Funny you went from there are no locks to those are keyholes????
40+ years as a locksmith and I have had many customers like you:cool:

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Look like decorative key holes to me.

All old mirrors are not beveled. Especially curved glass as it is much more labor intensive. Just like all antique furniture is not solid wood. Veneer has been around a v long time. I've seen plenty of antique furniture that is solid wood with veneers over the solid wood.

It doesn't look that old to me from the pics. Whether it's 40 years old old or 140 years old, I'd put a price on it of $250-$350.

Nice thing about buying used furniture like this is the buyer usually doesn't get taken and can usually turn it for about the same price. The only way you get taken is if someone sells it as something more than it is.

Good, real antique furniture doesn't warrant high costs. Unless it's something really special. Antique Stickley or something w a highly regarded name. Go into an antiques store and look around, a chest like what the OP put up, anywhere from $200-$500.

The antique that was linked at eBay, I wouldn't give more than $700, maybe 8 if I saw it first. What's sad about that is, it's built way better than anything new that's twice the price.

Don't go crazy on spending money for furniture antiques and you'll do all right.

Craigslist is a good place to do comparative shopping as well as any local antique store.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a very similar chest in my bedroom that came from one of my wife's grandparents. Mirror in middle, small drawers on side of it. Now I need to take a look and see if there are any dates on it.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look like decorative key holes to me.

All old mirrors are not beveled. Especially curved glass as it is much more labor intensive. Just like all antique furniture is not solid wood. Veneer has been around a v long time. I've seen plenty of antique furniture that is solid wood with veneers over the solid wood.

Craigslist is a good place to do comparative shopping as well as any local antique store.

Looks like these type locks....

Attachments

• 20190909_125122.jpg
    20190909_125122.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 91