Nickel or dime shape?

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seem to miscue more often with a dime, and get plenty of action with a nickle shape. You?

Nico

Banned
If you play better with a nickel, use a nickel. Don't think any farther than that.

Last edited:

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nico said:
If you play better with a nickel, use a nickel. Don't think any farther than that.

But what about Predator shafts; they say the shaft(cue) works best with "dime shape" I prefer "nickle" also, but use dime for this reason.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
I'm using a McDermott I-2 shaft which came with a moori med dime shaped. McDermott sends their cues out with dime shape tips....PlatinumBilliards.com has a great chart that compares cue squirt by manufacturer....The chart lists the tip shape of each stock shaft tested...

I wasn't aware of this when I got my first McDermott and I thought it was supposed to have a nickel shape I reshaped it and promptly sent it back to McDermott for the maintenance plan just so it would be retipped....it effected my game that much.....I'm just a novice but that change certainly negatively impacted my game....I guess the best advice is to stick with what works best for you

McCue Banger McCue

Nico

Banned
tjlmbklr said:
But what about Predator shafts; they say the shaft(cue) works best with "dime shape" I prefer "nickle" also, but use dime for this reason.
You suckers will believe anything the Predator hype machine spoon feeds you. If Predator said to climb a tree and jump out would you do that too?. How about coming to your own conclusions about these things.

It's not about what Predator says is best, it's what works best for each individual player. If Gregg says he plays better with a nickel radius than that's what Gregg should use. Why should he insist on using a dime, because Predator and Platinum billiards say so?. You should do what works best for you. I just love corporate peer pressure. Look up Gullible in the dictionary, then slap yourself.:D

Last edited:

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
gullible

Summary:-
gullible - , fleeceable, green
Detailed description:-
2 Dictionary Entries found
---------------------------
1) s :easily tricked because of being too trusting
Example: gullible tourists taken in by the shell game
---------------------------
2) s :naive and easily deceived or tricked
Example: at that early age she had been gullible and in love
:p

TheConArtist

Daddy's A Butcher
Silver Member
i have always used a dime shape tip, well i shaped it to a dime then that was it chalking and playing with it might not be a dime anymore but close LOL.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
tjlmbklr said:

I think what they mean is that their deflection tests showed the lowest deflection when they used a dime shape. If you prefer a nickel shape, I'm sure you can ignore this recommendation. I used to use a nickel shape on my predator, but I've learned I prefer dime.

-Andrew

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That time of the month for Nico! Take it easy, slick!

Nico said:
You suckers will believe anything the Predator hype machine spoon feeds you. If Predator said to climb a tree and jump out would you do that too?. How about coming to your own conclusions about these things.

It's not about what Predator says is best, it's what works best for each individual player. If Gregg says he plays better with a nickel radius than that's what Gregg should use. Why should he insist on using a dime, because Predator and Platinum billiards say so?. You should do what works best for you. I just love corporate peer pressure. Look up Gullible in the dictionary, then slap yourself.:D

tbone1213

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I replace a tip, I shape it to a nickel.
After playing a while, the tip usually shapes itself to how it is played, no?

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
Dime Shape and Platinum Billiards...

I started using dime shape because when my cue came I chalked it up and started playing......My point about Platinum Billiards was that the squirt chart shows which tip curve the manufacturer ships the shaft with. I found out it was a dime shape that I was using when i visited the site...and to be quite honest at that time I wasn't aware that there were different tip radii I just assumed they were all the same.
I shoot with dime shape because that's what I started with and when I reshaped it to nickel my game suffered....so I went back to dime.....and when my I-2 shaft arrived it was dime I chalked and played it and it felt right to me...

Incidently I haven't looked at that chart in some time but I don't think all the top low squirt shafts were dime.....I'll have to go look again though

McCue Banger McCue