Triangle Tips

Arnot Wadsworth

Senior Cuemaker
Silver Member
I just installed a new Triangle tip on my personal cue and found that the whole batch is soft and stringy. I have never seen this happen with Triangle tips before and I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.:confused:

I would also like your personal preference for hard non-layered tips. I do not like LePro tips or Elk Master tips either.

Thanks, :)

TellsItLikeItIs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Arnot Wadsworth said:
I just installed a new Triangle tip on my personal cue and found that the whole batch is soft and stringy. I have never seen this happen with Triangle tips before and I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.:confused:

I would also like your personal preference for hard non-layered tips. I do not like LePro tips or Elk Master tips either.
My experience has been that if there is one soft one in a box, most all of them will be. I finally learned how to weed them out before installing them though. I lay them on my vise and tap them with a small steel hammer (paying attention to the sound). If you pay close attention, eventually you'll learn to recognize the soft ones.

For hard non layered tips, I prefer the Water Buffalo (and they do smell like a water buffalo too).

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I have, I never carried them before, so picked up a couple of boxes, I did'nt realize that was'nt normal for them, and was trying to find a way to harden them up some, while making them easier to crown at the same time, so they did'nt roll/string up so bad, but not real impressed with them either, altough i don't care for softer tips that much Myself anyway. Some do seem better then others in a box though.

Still get alot of people that want le-pros, and there was a day I used them also, altough not My preference on My personal cue now days either. Too much dressing required to maintain them IMO. I like to press them before installing, and that helps with the mushrooning a bit, but I have many people that are still plenty happy with them.

Some like the WB's from My experiences, and some don't, so I get mixed opinions. Yes I aggree, they do smell like a carraige ride through down town ;) :p :D I like them alright on a break cue, and could shoot with one if I had to. Super pro hards are not bad for breaking either. I'm using phenolic on mine right now though.

My understanding is that there are alot of good tips out there, and I have tried some that i liked over the years, and have more here that I need to try out, but have'nt tried them all. 2 I really like are moori's & triumphs. the triumph has the backer, but I can still make the transistion from the mooris to them easy enough If needed, so I have one on a extra shaft.

Soft tips not sure, just personal experience, but never really found any I liked that much for either playability, or ease of intallation. seems like most I have tried had their own issues one way or the other. Greg

Last edited:

Ridge Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I have tried every tip out there and have found the SUMO non-layered hard buffalo tip to be my preference for both playing and breaking. I might add up front that I favor a hard tip for standard play. The SUMO tip doesn't miscue like Lepros do and you will see very little mushrooming(if any).
John

Nico

Banned
Arnot Wadsworth said:

I ordered a bunch of Triangle from Seyberts hoping that they might be the right hard non-layered tip for me. I installed the hardest one I could find in the bunch and it was like a sponge.

My theory is that the pros come through town, select all the best tips and then the crap ones get mailed to the unsuspecting customers.:D

Anyway, I've heard a hundred people recommend the Sumo tip as a great non-layered hard tip. Good luck.

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Arnot Wadsworth said:

I use the "WB" tips from "J & J AMERICA". They are the best & most consistant water buffalo tips I have found...JER

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
90% of all Triangle tips will be spongy if you don't press them in a vise for a few seconds before installing. Once pressed they are pretty consitant and hard to beat. You do have to develop a feel for how hard to press them.

Mystick Cue Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SUMO tips all the way. If I had to pick a non layered tip it would be a sumo. They are great. Most consistent tip I have dealt with. But hopefully that helps your decision.

Tony

puckdaddy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like Triangles but they can be inconsistent. Ive found that after installation about a week or so you have to reshape because they start to flatten out. I also get them cut down to 1/8" but still have to reshape after a week. But after that they are good for the duration. I have had triangles that are as soft as Le Pros and as hard as WBs. I guess it depends on the cow. But then again Ive tried lots of tips, laminated included that vary from tip to tip. Im still gonna stick with my Triangles.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
puckdaddy said:
I really like Triangles but they can be inconsistent. Ive found that after installation about a week or so you have to reshape because they start to flatten out. I also get them cut down to 1/8" but still have to reshape after a week. But after that they are good for the duration. I have had triangles that are as soft as Le Pros and as hard as WBs. I guess it depends on the cow. But then again Ive tried lots of tips, laminated included that vary from tip to tip. Im still gonna stick with my Triangles.
Trust me. Press them first and save the trouble. Pressing them makes them consitant and cuts down on mushrooming.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
You can separate good/ bad Triangle tips by briefly putting the tips in a bowl of water. The ones that submerge are good. The ones that float will be a problem.

Martin

Arnot Wadsworth said:

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jazznpool said:
You can separate good/ bad Triangle tips by briefly putting the tips in a bowl of water. The ones that submerge are good. The ones that float will be a problem.

Martin

Haha, new definition of floaters and sinkers.
Kelly

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cueman said:
Trust me. Press them first and save the trouble. Pressing them makes them consitant and cuts down on mushrooming.

I press some Of My tips also Chris, but tried pressing some triangles I had, and they just did'nt seem to want to hold at all, unless I soaked them, then that changes the tip completely. maybe I just got an overly spongy batch? not sure, but I have atleast 2 boxes like that now.
If they're are supposed to be harder then lepros like someone mentioned, then very possible, because they don't seem that hard to me.

Maybe I'm missing something in the pressing. Is there a certain time frame you leave them in the vice for? I already tried mixing up the pressure on the vice, and left them in as long as any other tip I press.
Thanks, Greg

hadjcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Arnot Wadsworth said:

I haven't tried the new ones yet... but I do treat solid tips, dip and soak 'em, clamp and let them dry... otherr than Triangle, I like WB tips. Don't like Lepros or masters either.

Hadjcues

PetreeCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hadjcues said:
I haven't tried the new ones yet... but I do treat solid tips, dip and soak 'em, clamp and let them dry... otherr than Triangle, I like WB tips. Don't like Lepros or masters either.

Hadjcues

What is everyone dipping and soaking them in, for how long, etc?

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PetreeCues said:
What is everyone dipping and soaking them in, for how long, etc?

I used milk LOL, and they did hold their shape, after they sunk in the milk, I just put them in the vice and let them dry like that. It does hold the shape that way, but totally changes the tip. I imagine there's other ways also, so Im not done yet, and will keep trying till I find something that works for me, or I give up on it. Greg

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After playing with and installing triangles for many years, I can say tweeten is doing something different. Over the last couple of years all the tips I have got (triangles) have been junk. Pressed they are ok...... but ya never had to press them before. Im not sure if they have taken a pressing operation out of their manufacturing process or what, but they arent like they used to be.
Chuck

kokopuffs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased a box of Triangles in '99 or 2000 and still own about 45 or so of that vintage. Methings I'll hold on to them for personal usage because of the apparent deterioration in quality that occurred in subsequent years.