Core diameter preference

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
If you thread your collars and butt plate, you want larger than 5/8 for forearm and 3/4 for handles.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
If you thread your collars and butt plate, you want larger than 5/8 for forearm and 3/4 for handles.

Thanks, I was looking at weights and tones, was finding good success with 1/2" cores, but threading on the core would certainly be a pain that small

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Thanks, I was looking at weights and tones, was finding good success with 1/2" cores, but threading on the core would certainly be a pain that small

At .500 diameter, how much weight can you add or reduce ?

Tones?

Let's say you find a 15" burlwood piece . How are you going to have a forearm and a butt sleeve with that piece when you will need a collar tenon and A-joint tenon ?
Is 1/2" core enough to add weight and improve the hit of that wood ?
Is 1/2" diameter big enough of a hole to relieve stress down the center of the wood ?

I use .700" for forearm and have .900" for handles if needed.
I like the bottom of forearm larger than .700" too.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
At .500 diameter, how much weight can you add or reduce ?

Tones?

Let's say you find a 15" burlwood piece . How are you going to have a forearm and a butt sleeve with that piece when you will need a collar tenon and A-joint tenon ?
Is 1/2" core enough to add weight and improve the hit of that wood ?
Is 1/2" diameter big enough of a hole to relieve stress down the center of the wood ?

I use .700" for forearm and have .900" for handles if needed.
I like the bottom of forearm larger than .700" too.

I was playing with 30" long pieces, a half-inch removed from macassar ebony is noticeable

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Size Matters

I have 2 gun drills , .670 for forearms and .750 for handle and butt sleeves . I use a 30" laminated maple dowell with front 14" turned down to .660 , and leave the back half at 1' untill front has cured , then turn the back down to .740 and slide rings handle and butt sleeve on . Has worked for years .

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For practical reasons I settled on .640" and .755" If I really feel like spending a shit ton of money, I`ll get one of those tapered reamers