Exactly What are the Reasons Pool gets Tougher as you Age?

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I'm 54...I am a much smarter player, and even a better shot maker than the 22 year old version of me. But that version was fearless, could run many more packs than the 54 year old, and could give the older me the 7. At 22, my brother and I played straight pool, 8 ball and 9 ball for 18 hours straight without a break, just to see if we could get to 24 hours...we were wore out, and felt pain in the legs and back for a day or so. Now, a 6 hour session puts me off for 3 or 4 days. Concentration wise, I'm good for about 3 hours max, then I start knocking the rails off the table. My eyesight is still 20/20 (it used to be 20/10) and can still see the edges of the balls clearly, but I suffer from age-related near-sightedness, anything within arms' reach is fuzzy and I need cheaters to read. I find it much harder to keep focus for long periods, too. After a day-long tournament, my legs and hands start cramping, and my lower back is shot to hell. (yellow mustard keeps the cramps away almost immediately, I keep a tiny squeeze bottle in my case)

Getting old sucks. I still love and enjoy the game, but you young-uns need to make as much hay while the sun shines as you can. I really miss the 22 year-old me's game and the ability to play through long marathon sessions! :(

GDC

GlenC
Silver Member
There is an interview out there from few years back (think it was on TAR) where they ask Earl Strickland that question ... and he said that aging top players lose their ability to consistently hit the one ball square on the break. He said something to the effect that he noticed in every top pro when they aged out.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Well, let's think about what gets a young player into competition in the first place..

If one believes (as I do), that we are descended from earlier mammals, then you can see parallels in our behavior as young people.. Males tend to be very aggressive, and not care so much about consequences. The truth of the thing is that biology commands us to get out there and compete aggressively for resurces, territory, etc.

This is what drives ALL sports/game competition amongst young males.It is the human equivalent of a moose buck getting aggressive towards mating season, putting himself on display, and attempt to "beat" other males in whatever contests within that species that decide which male gets AWLLL the females..

So... That's why young male pool players practice 12 hours a day if they are a hyper aggressive type, with a single mindedness that borders on obsessive-compulsiveness.

Fast forward 30 years, both in the life of a human and a non-human mammal, life span-adjusted.

The non-human mammal is no longer capable of dominating the group and winning all the females due to lack of strength and speed. If he were to still be hyper-aggressive, he would quickly be killed off by the stronger/faster/younger bulls. So, genetically, he is programemd to "ease off the gas pedal" a bit. Maybe his role within the group is to protect the young, and make sure the genetic material of the group survives to the next generation.

And NOW, you know why Grandpa softens up a bit in old age, and spoils the grandchildren. He loses the hard edge he had when raising his own children. For in THAT period of his life, he was still concentrating on defeating other males and gaining territory/resources (focused on career).

So, in a nutshell, older players start to falter mostly because the loss of a single game just doesn't matter to them as much any more. The only reason it really MATTERED when they were younger is because genetics had programmed them as young men to conquer everything and give no f*cks, responding hyper-aggressively to any show of strength from another competitor. Nature tamps down this aggressive nature as we age so that we can help protect the future generation.

Why is why I don't really concern myself with the comments from others that I can be a bit of a confrontational jerk. That means I still have that overpowering need to win. All I need to do is just lose weight, and practice.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I think it depends on the game. Few top pros, would play a man like Efren 8 ball on a bar table. Health and eyesight and being in shape are critical, but the desire to win is a whole notha animal.
I think if Freddy Couples played ANY pro on a par 3 golf course, they would have a Very difficult time giving em even a ONE stroke spot, I'd have to take Freddy in that spot.

JC

Coos Cues
As long as someone is in good health and reasonably fit, none of this is true. I'm 65 and still play pool and golf as well as I ever did. I hit the golf ball further and higher than ever. I lift weights and lift just as much as I ever did. The guys I play with are mostly in their 60's and walk the 7 mile hilly golf course too. My eyes have lasik bought 20/20. It's too hard to generalize and say these are the reasons. Pool is not boxing or marathon running.

#1 reason: mental energy. For me personally, I don't sleep as well as I used to, so at any time in the day I can get tired. Waiting 4 or 5 hours between tournament matches to win a few hundred dollars takes all the fun out of it.

#2 reason: attitude. I no longer have a burning desire to prove myself, or to make money, or live in a pool hall or practice the many hours top play requires. At my age, you've already made (or not made) the money and realize it's futile to prove yourself to anyone but yourself.

Maturing requires an adjustment in attitude. If somebody wants to call me an old man because they know I'm 65, that's up to them, but don't expect me to be weak or blind. Concerning that old saying "act your age", my advice is "let's not unless we have to".

What he said, your give a shit runs low about things like pool.

JC

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am 42 and I think I´m still improving. I use a lot of time with pool with teaching, table mechanics, practice and playing. I play also Snooker, Finnish Kaisa, Russian Pyramid when I have time or tournament nearby.
Still it is really hard to actually play better because it is so much harder to keep focus. I think brain ability to concentrate is the main problem.
It was so much easier when I was young or even 30.
Nowadays I practice many times with my headphones. I notice that can help for keeping me focused longer and better. Then I take em down and try get same state of mind.. but most of the time I can´t. :frown:

Last weekend I got really good focused 9-ball tournament. I played all first day matches(4x race to 8) really good. Missed 4 or 5 balls total whole day. Not a single easy shot missed.
Second day I had touring pro player on last 8 match and I did not sleep well before that. I noticed how difficult it was to focus early on. Missed 3 shots at early match(all semi-difficult) and one poor safety and my opponent put 4 pack against me. I was 7-2 down in race to 8 and got really focused state while I was hoping to get one more shot. I made 3 ball clearance and 2 run outs from there but then I had difficulties to keep my mind on playing and started getting funny angles and finally missed a long nine ball.
I also made 147 on snooker after month break from Snooker because I had good feeling and focused mind.
I am certain that is the key. Our brains get weaker. They don´t have the stamina of younger peoples. Also, after tournaments I need 1-2 days rest. I get so tired from them.

pampi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As we age we get DOPAMINE depletion its a neurotransmitter that cause Tremor, Bradykinesia, postural instability, and Rigidity. This is part in the brain located in your basal ganglia particularly the pars compacta...

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slightly off topic. About 20 yrs. ago I discovered the secret to the golf swing, but didn't realize at the time. Quit playing, but kept thinking about what I found about my swing. About 4 yrs. ago I went out to the driving range, but due to my increased weight, poorer physical tone, etc. I couldn't hit 'em like I wanted, so I quit forever. There's a moral in there somewhere.

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will be 80 this year. I play 2/3 times a week and only if I am gambling or in a tournament. The competition keeps me going and it takes a fairly good player to beat me at the games I still play.

There are days I just cannot focus and nothing I can do that day seems to help. I believe it is a combination of most of the things mentioned on here. As a senior I have some health issues, mostly arthritis from age and old injuries. The eyes are not a problem for me, so I am lucky there. I have worn glasses since I started to play pool at 14. My Rx has not changed too much over the years and hopefully it will not in the future. I still play golf on a 6 x 12 when I get a chance and see the edge of the ball just fine.

I believe the worst culprit is the arthritis. I seem to get out of kilt on my mechanics and when I start trying to make adjustments, it usually gets worse. I try not to take any pain pills unless it really gets bad, but I am a believer in CBD Oil and I think it helps some.

I know one of these days I will not be able to compete. I don’t think anyone enjoys pool and what goes along with it more than I do, so that will be a sad day, but for now, I will still be playing the game I love.

Way to go John. You, sir, are a war horse! It will be a sad day when/if you stop playing pool. I hope it never happens roomie.

Tom

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are the explainable and simple valid reasons why a 60 year old pro pool player in good health and still good vision, with 45 years of playing experience, doesn't figure in the long run to be able to beat a 30 year old pro player with 15 years playing experience - 1/3 of the playing time? This pertains specifically to a game like 9-ball or 14.1, and not so much 1-pocket. One would think the 30 years more of playing experience would give the older pro the advantage, but that's obviously not the case.

When compared to a sport like golf, it's obvious the physical requirements and flexibility necessary for swinging a golf club, playing 18 holes of golf a day in addition to hitting 300-400 balls on the range every day, it's easy to understand why a 60 year old pro golfer can't compete with a pro half his age. A better comparison in golf would be why a 60 year old pro golfer couldn't likely beat a 30 year old pro golfer in a putting contest - which requires similar fine touch/feel skills as pool, but nothing physically demanding.that would clearly give the younger player the clear advantage? I can only come up with two possible explanations.

First, although one's vision can still be very good and sharp into your 60s and even your 70s, I believe (at least in my case) your depth perception / 3D perception has certainly diminished some by this age - making it harder to determine exactly how far an object ball is resting off a rail for any cut shot particularly a longer shot, which your brain subconsciously needs to accurately calculate when you are over the ball preparing to shoot.

Secondly, it's hard to explain, but as you age, one's fine twitch muscle coordination just seems to make it harder and less automatic at times to be able to execute a very smooth straight back and straight through stroke - even when you know with absolute certainty you are lined up properly to pocket the ball. I don't know the exact physiological explanation for this, but I assume it's the same reasons why senior pro golfers are far more likely to miss a 2-4 foot straight in putt than a pro golfer half his age.

Obviously those responding to this thread from experience are those like myself that are old enough to being going through it and trying to overcome it, but anyone is welcome to try their best to explain their reasoning. - thanks

Well usually if you are 50 or over then you had things going on and didn't get to play much because life happens . Marriage, kiddos, careers and such . Now trying to jump back in it after long periods of time off it's tough to come back . When I was young if I missed two days without hitting a ball it took me two hrs to get it back so now imagine years off and it's not 1st on your list I'm sure .... Heck it's just tough all around lol... That's why we like it tho it's a challenge for sure . We should have a 50 and over tournament at your place Chris I know you are in so put me 2nd on the list 😂 lol

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The older you get, the more succeptible you are to ‘repetitive motion’ injury. Generally, the best players are the ones who regularly hit the most balls, which leads to a ‘locked-in’ natural stroke & predictably precise center CB hit, where little thought is thus required to sink most straight-in shots. Older players with worn out elbow/shoulder joints likely just can’t hit enough balls to stay competitive without developing a chronic inflammatory condition (ask Dallas West).

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to say that 60-year-old me shoots quite a bit better than 35-year-old me did. Yeah, my eyesight is definitely poorer, my legs are pretty beat down, and I didn't pick up a cue for 18 years during the span between those ages. However, I've been through quite a bit in my life and that's caused a lot of growth in my mind and in my spirit. I like the current version of myself much more than I liked the earlier version, and I can honestly say that not much rattles me anymore. From my teens through my 30s I used to worry about missing shots and that degraded my game. I don't worry about stuff like that anymore and consequently I miss a lot less.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Certainly that is not true for professional instructors. :rolleyes: Most of us have had a fiery passion that is just as hot today, as it was 30 years ago. Many of us are playing the best pool of our lives as well...some of us in our 60's and 70's! For me, the fire inside me to share what I know completely envelopes me, and energizes me. Often, even after 8 hrs of teaching, I am still raring to go (as many of my students will testify). I don't believe that age necessarily causes one to lose focus. Inattention to detail causes loss of focus!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Stamina and focus primarily. This s^* goes away. No escaping it. Also that firey desire when you were young just doesn't burn as bright.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
one thing it's Not about is eyesight.

Neils Feijen is essentially blind in his left eye. Thorsten Hohmann sometimes plays tournament matches without his contacts in. Mark Williams won the World Snooker title last year -- shooting into pockets the size of thimbles on a 12' table -- with his Eyes Closed on key long pots in the final. vision has squat-all to do with pool.

on a far less lofty plane, i'm 69 and my game is stronger than ever, even though my vision is horrible and getting worse: i've always been severely nearsighted, and recently started getting really big floaters and the beginnings of cataracts. but for the first time in my life, i've taken time to work on my fundamentals, and it pays off big-time.

the decaying abilities part, though, is mostly about nerves. pool and snooker at the highest levels are all about how little extraneous body movement and twitches you have, and as you get older you get jumpy. look at the "dinner match" between Mosconi and Caras on youtube -- they've got it, too.

First, please get a retina scan done by an ophthalmologist or retinologist. Those floaters have a strong possibility of being caused by torn retinas. If you also see light flashes with the floaters, I’ll take odds. Torn retinas turn into detached retinas and then you’ll have a real problem on your hands. The retinologist found one when I was getting screened for cataract surgery. Luckily, it was repaired the same day in office.

Second, astigmatism can be corrected but the actual location of the objects aren’t exactly where you think. Just like the fish bowl effect, put your hand in the water to grab something but it’s over to the side a bit. Your mind is making adjustments on the fly.

I had lenticular astigmatism. My corneas are near perfect but the lenses of my eyes were badly misshapen. So I had them replaced with multi focal lenses. My game jumped immediately. I see 20/15 distance and 20/15 reading at arms length without glasses. It made a big difference in my game.

Not all eyes see the same and it isn’t just about sharpness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, I think the #1 thing bothering me is my eyes. I had a detached retina a year ago and I'm getting cataracts. I have floaters and my vision is pretty blurry in both eyes. I wear glasses daily, but I wear contacts when I play pool, which is only on Sundays. Wearing the contacts, only once a week, makes my eyes take quite a while to get used to them.

However, I think "seeing the shot" is more than just being able to "see". To me, "seeing the shot" means my depth perception and 3D perception is working also. I used to say, many years ago, that "if I can SEE the shot, I can make it" and I think that is still pretty much the case.

Secondly, I really "don't care" if I'm not playing as good as I once could. I never practice or play except on Sundays and I still can play at an "A" level on most days and sometimes I can catch a "gear" that goes a notch or two higher.

I think I get distracted more easily now than I did when I was younger. I am the type of person who shoots and then returns to my chair when my turn at the table it over and I expect my opponent to do the same. Most of the people I play have a habit of jumping around like Beavis and Butthead and not paying attention to what is going on, which gets on my nerves at times.

My fundamentals are usually pretty solid and I am a "system" player. I don't want to open up a can of worms, but I use TOI and I think it keeps me more consistent. Over the last few weeks, I've played several different people and they all ask me how I do so well only playing once a week. I tell them what I "think" is the "truth"...as least with my playing. I try to position my shots where I can use a TOI or stun on most of my shots. I try to leave the same "angles" if I can and I try to leave myself where I can hit somewhat the same speed on every shot. I like to play what I call "a heavy cue ball". Keeping shallow angles allows me to "muscle" the object ball into the pocket and move the cue ball with speed and not a lot of spin, unless I need to turn the cue ball loose.

Some people are afraid of inside, especially on long power shots. Those are some of my favorites. I'm very comfortable hitting hard and inside and going multiple rails for position.

Even as old as I am, my stamina is still pretty good. I played around 15 hours, or so, straight for the last three Sundays and I was still hitting them as good when I quit as I was during mid day.

I think most of my screw ups now come from just being lackadaisical and not fully concentrating on every shot. In order for me to play better, my opponent has to put pressure on me, where I know if I screw up I may not get another shot. Most of the people that I play with don't have that level of skill, so I don't bear down on every shot, like you should do.

I'd like to play more, just to see how much better I could play, but it's about a 50 mile round-trip, through traffic just to get to the pool hall and that takes too much time and is a hassle.

I'm seeing the eye doctor on Wednesday and hoping to get some information on what my status is, as far as cataract surgery. I know I'll be getting it sometime in the future, but don't know exactly when. He told me that I would have 20-20 again once it is done. Assuming that all works out, that will surely affect my pool game. I'll probably never make a ball again if I can actually see what I'm doing.

Pay extra for the multi focal IOL lenses. It’s worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I 'm 76 and play twice a week on 9 footers in an over 55 practice league. (The younger players in the pool room call it the dead guy's league). I also play three mornings a week in my community room on a lousy 8' furniture table. My game was never really good due to astigmatism such that vision center aiming was guessing at best. I now have problems with double vision too solved somewhat with prismatic lenses on my glasses. All this due to aging I suppose but there are days when I shoot lights'out. I recently topped the field in an 8 ball tournament at my city's senior center. One thing I learned recently is not to hold or try to sneak your farts when not at the table. Let 'em out before your inning.
My inspiration to keep playing as long as I'm able is playing with and against Larry Gendler a New England hall of famer who at 92 has the most beautiful long and straight slip stroke you're liable to see. He's also known as "New York Larry". Mitch