OB Carbon Fiber - June 3rd

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuetec did fiberglass over wood iirc. Don't recall any carbon-fiber cored CT cues, at least nothing using the carbon-fiber available today. We'll just have to wait for the reviews to start. As for CS? I've only had one instance where i had a problem(ferrule related) and they took care of me PRONTO. No complaints here. I've heard the stories but my deal was taken care of well.

I distinctly remember Cuetech offering a couple of different designs of carbon core shafts. That is, carbon core under wood...much like what this new OB shaft is advertising. I’m sure there are differences. I’d just like to know what they are. I’ll do some digging and see if I can find any info on the old Cuetech carbon core shafts.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I distinctly remember Cuetech offering a couple of different designs of carbon core shafts. That is, carbon core under wood...much like what this new OB shaft is advertising. I’m sure there are differences. I’d just like to know what they are. I’ll do some digging and see if I can find any info on the old Cuetech carbon core shafts.

I know they did the Vortec Shaft. A friend of mine had that one and it hit great.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I forgot about the Vortec. It had a graphite x-profile beam down the middle. Acted pretty much as a stiffener. Cue did not have a lightened front-end like current LD cues. The OB has a tubular core and LD front-end.

oldschool1478

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuetec did fiberglass over wood iirc. Don't recall any carbon-fiber cored CT cues, at least nothing using the carbon-fiber available today. We'll just have to wait for the reviews to start. As for CS? I've only had one instance where i had a problem(ferrule related) and they took care of me PRONTO. No complaints here. I've heard the stories but my deal was taken care of well.

I think I remember this "tubular composite core" as being carbon fiber.
The first seven inches is hollow (not filled).

Attachments

• R360-technical-drawing.jpg
    R360-technical-drawing.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 277

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know they did the Vortec Shaft. A friend of mine had that one and it hit great.

I just found the Vortec. I can’t remember the name of their other offering at that time, but it had a cylindrical carbon core, much like the R-360 design. Maybe they refined the design and settled on the R-360, and have now moved on to the Cynergy shaft.

My point being, if they left those designs behind for a better design, why would OB want to rehash an old design? I see they claim their new shaft to be the stiffest, lowest deflection offering they have. But does it compete with the Revo and Cynergy shafts performance wise?

Attachments

• A39CC2F5-95A4-42D2-9697-B35AD9D26F02.jpeg
    A39CC2F5-95A4-42D2-9697-B35AD9D26F02.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 285
  • 39B2C3D7-5707-4472-8CE8-A898A1C112AF.jpeg
    39B2C3D7-5707-4472-8CE8-A898A1C112AF.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 288

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I remember this "tubular composite core" as being carbon fiber.
The first seven inches is hollow (not filled).
Had one of these. Didn't know what was inside. Squirt was same as my Schon. Used it as a back-up bar beater cue. I remember it had a real numb/dead feel but it hit ok. Pred. Vantage i had was waaaaaay less squirt as i recall. Why don't we wait til someone actually reviews the new OB before knocking it? I've owned three of their shafts and they ALL played great.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can see why OB might go this direction if they want to differentiate from the black shafts that are out there. But I think one's reaction to this approach depends on what you think the benefits of the black shafts are. If you think the main benefits are in being ding-proof and lower maintenance, then this approach makes no sense.

And I think it remains to be seen whether these are really as OB is pitching them: As low deflection and high energy-transfer as the black shafts but with the look and feel of wood. I'm skeptical - if they're really as low-deflection as the black shafts my guess is that they don't feel like a wood shaft, but that's just my guess.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had one of these. Didn't know what was inside. Squirt was same as my Schon. Used it as a back-up bar beater cue. I remember it had a real numb/dead feel but it hit ok. Pred. Vantage i had was waaaaaay less squirt as i recall. Why don't we wait til someone actually reviews the new OB before knocking it? I've owned three of their shafts and they ALL played great.

It’s not my intention to bash OB. I’m just asking questions. I play with an OB shaft and have for years. I had an issue with my first shaft (tip and pad flew off my OB-1 the second day I had it) that was resolved very quickly by Royce. My current shaft was a blank I bought and had finished by a well known cue maker. I’ve had zero issues with my current shaft. The downward trend of QC and customer service in recent years, however, isn’t something that should be ignored, IMO.

You can see why OB might go this direction if they want to differentiate from the black shafts that are out there. But I think one's reaction to this approach depends on what you think the benefits of the black shafts are. If you think the main benefits are in being ding-proof and lower maintenance, then this approach makes no sense.

And I think it remains to be seen whether these are really as OB is pitching them: As low deflection and high energy-transfer as the black shafts but with the look and feel of wood. I'm skeptical - if they're really as low-deflection as the black shafts my guess is that they don't feel like a wood shaft, but that's just my guess.

I’m very skeptical myself. I do hope they turn out a great product that’s better than the Predator and Cuetech CF shafts, further driving innovation. But I won’t be buying one. I’m content to sit back and watch how things go.

Nonyamuff

Always behind the 8-ball
Silver Member
So it's OBs take on a McDermott iPro...?
" The iPRO shaft have a Octadic Laminated Shaft Construction features eight spliced pieces of premium maple that are bonded together to form our most radial consistent shaft yet. The i-Pro’s Triple-Layer Carbon Fiber Core extends the full-length of the shaft (from ferrule to joint), stabilizing the entire shaft for absolute control and predictability."

plhlolelnlilx

F.I.S.H.
Silver Member
Mezz, McDermott, Cuetec.

OB is missing Royce something fierce and I fear will not weather the storm if they can't find a relevant way to compete as well as work out their quality control issues.

This could be one of the best playing shafts they've ever produced but it's poorly conceived and there's nothing innovative about it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The reviews from people that try it will be very informative

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The reviews from people that try it will be very informative

More than speculating

I’m hoping they’ve done something different, like made a shaft that performs as well as the Revo and Cynergy shafts, but looks and feels like a traditional maple shaft. I think there’s definitely a market for that.

I’m looking forward to the reviews and comparisons myself.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they completely missed the boat. Few will buy if it looks like a regular wood shaft. They should have jumped completely on the bandwagon, instead of half way, and made a full black CF shaft.

fram6878

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something to think about here. I looked at their website, and they are making 3 versions with wood ferrules, and 3 with white ferrules. 12.8-12.4mm, 12.3-11.9mm, and 11.8-11.4mm. I think it’s a good idea to include those within 11.75 to 12.25mm since before they were without. More options, thereby hitting a broader base of customers. Seems like a good idea.

Only thing I question is the taper on the shafts. Specifically the 12.3-11.9mm. Type of taper of shaft is not on the website. Maybe Shane will chime in.

I got to hit with a demo last night for about 10-15minutes. It was the 11.8 ob2 carbon. To me, it corrected all the faults I disliked with the OB2 shafts. I am an ob2 user so I have a good basis to compare. The CF core stiffened up the shaft a little bit. I didn’t do any deflection tests but nothing seemed out of wack, but again, I wasn’t testing deflection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i loaned my friend Jack Potter a Revo and he thought it was not deflection free
he thought it was about like a maple shaft in that regard

reports from others were different after I sold the Revo,so we tried again

Finally after i sent him several different shafts he ended up loving an OB

Jack is a good player and built the Libra cues,so he knows something about pool

My guess is that this OB combo maple carbon fiber may be a step in
the right direction

they have always been at the front in high tech engineering etc,