Turtle rack test for 10 ball, I have an interesting thing happening to me

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen something interesting when breaking with the turtle rack in 10 ball.

10 ball break, the second ball in goes towards side as normal, however the corner ball goes 2 rails and kicks into that ball causing it to miss the side. This is on a 9 footer.

I have seen this happen at least 75% of the time or more on my medium to 3/4 strength break which is how I break with a template rack.

Can someone that has a turtle rack try that and see if your results match?

I have tested this with several racks, and even tried both sides of the rack. This does not happen with the Magic or Outsville racks for me.

I took a few videos but someone else was breaking and on his break it did not happen, but was very close. They don't hit, but just barely miss each other. With how I break, they hit most of the time.

Watch the 8 and 3 here

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HJ3EE9CNT3XZPcHW7

And the 3 and 5 here

https://photos.app.goo.gl/B5o5A2P12vxdSLKp6

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try this out to get a better feeling for the 10 ball break, this is not how to break a 10 ball rack, just understanding the physics, figured I'd add that first. lol

Place the cue ball center of head string and focus on hitting the 1 ball solid with medium stroke and drawing the cue ball straight back to you. Take notice how the balls spread and pocketed afterwards, 1 ball usually always tracks up table. Each rack put less draw on it and move whitey to the left or right a little until your pocketing balls, getting position on the 1 ball and getting cue ball squatting a little. 98% of the time 1 or both of the balls placed behind the 1 ball will go into the side pockets, that's my main focus anyway. Back corner balls (2&3) sometimes go 4 rails into the corner if no collision is made and inside the corner balls bank into the corner up table.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try this out to get a better feeling for the 10 ball break, this is not how to break a 10 ball rack, just understanding the physics, figured I'd add that first. lol

Place the cue ball center of head string and focus on hitting the 1 ball solid with medium stroke and drawing the cue ball straight back to you. Take notice how the balls spread and pocketed afterwards, 1 ball usually always tracks up table. Each rack put less draw on it and move whitey to the left or right a little until your pocketing balls, getting position on the 1 ball and getting cue ball squatting a little. 98% of the time 1 or both of the balls placed behind the 1 ball will go into the side pockets, that's my main focus anyway. Back corner balls (2&3) sometimes go 4 rails into the corner if no collision is made and inside the corner balls bank into the corner up table.

Not sure if you read the post, the two balls behind the 1 do head to the side pockets, but the corner ball using the turtle rack goes 2 rails and knocks the ball out from going in before it gets to the pocket. It has only happened to me with the turtle rack specifically. I don't have video of me breaking but in the videos I took and linked you can see that corner ball just barely missing the ball. When I break, they hit most of the time.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure if you read the post, the two balls behind the 1 do head to the side pockets, but the corner ball using the turtle rack goes 2 rails and knocks the ball out from going in before it gets to the pocket. It has only happened to me with the turtle rack specifically. I don't have video of me breaking but in the videos I took and linked you can see that corner ball just barely missing the ball. When I break, they hit most of the time.

I did read the post and know you know how to shoot. I just watched the videos a couple more times. Just looked like you could hit the 1 ball a little more square and the cue ball looked like it had a little top spin on it after striking the 1 ball. Maybe my eyes are deceiving me. If you hit the 1 ball more square and lose the top spin maybe those balls wouldn't collide with each other? How was the other guy breaking them that that wasn't happening to him?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did read the post and know you know how to shoot. I just watched the videos a couple more times. Just looked like you could hit the 1 ball a little more square and the cue ball looked like it had a little top spin on it after striking the 1 ball. Maybe my eyes are deceiving me. If you hit the 1 ball more square and lose the top spin maybe those balls wouldn't collide with each other? How was the other guy breaking them that that wasn't happening to him?

Don't know where he was hitting the cueball, can be tough with breaks since where you are aiming can be not where you actually hit.

The thing is the same break using other racks did not produce the same issue, so it's not really about the break, but comparing results with the turtle rack vs others. If I break with the magic rack or standard rack, or the accu-rack, the corner balls do not get in the way of the ball going to the side, with the turtle rack they do. I wanted to see if anyone else had the turtle rack and noticed the same thing.