Loree Jon Snooze - what would you have done?

WWYD?

• Option A: Inform of foul before shooting

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • Option B: Interrupt her shot to inform

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Option C: Don't interrupt her shot to inform

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Option D: Not my job to tell her

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Option E: I wouldn't have noticed

Votes: 8 15.1%

• Total voters

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's hear it. It's an anonymous poll, so be as truthful as you can.

Longer descriptions of the five options, assuming you were in Jennifer Barretta's position:

A: I would have picked up the cue ball and given it to LJH before she had a chance to shoot, or otherwise indicated clearly that a foul occurred.
B: I knew it was a foul and would have interrupted LJH's routine upon realizing she was about to shoot without taking ball in hand.
C: I knew it was a foul and assumed LJH would notice, but would not have interrupted her routine to inform her once she had gotten down on the ball.
D: I knew it was a foul but it's not my job to tell her if she didn't notice.
E: It was 1 am after a long day of pool and I wouldn't have noticed it was a foul.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting poll, but it's not always that simple. For myself, the answer could vary from A to D depending on who I'm playing and the level of etiquette they have shown towards me in the past. I generally match up in 1-on-1 sessions only with players that have shown me the same level respect and courtesy that I show them, so my answer would be A. I've also played players in tournaments that from their history of behavior/actions displayed in previous matches against myself or their behavior/actions in matches I have witnessed them playing in, in which my response would be a resounding D and I'd feel absolutely no regret. If it's an unknown player that I have no previous history with and have had no issues with in the current match, I'd like to hope, regardless of the score of the match at that point, that my response would be either A or B.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This poll is flawed.

It assumes that JB knew she committed a foul and said nothing.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I know about the matter is that loree slept a 3rd foul.

Did she put Jen on notice that she wa on two?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I know about the matter is that loree slept a 3rd foul.

Did she put Jen on notice that she wa on two?
There was no 3-foul in question. It was the hill-hill game of the match. Player A, on a kick shot, hit the correct ball (1 ball) which ran in to some other balls, but clearly no balls made it to a rail so it should have been BIH for player B. Player A exited the table and took her seat, saying nothing. Player B took the table and proceeded to play the cue ball as it lied as opposed to taking the BIH. She could see the 1-ball but had no shot on it, and played a relatively weak safety leaving Player A a combination shot which she made, and the next shot Player B wins the game and match on a 1-9 combination, so clearly this incident and how it was handled may very likely/directly have influenced the outcome of the match. At the very least, with BIH, player B would have had a decent chance to either run out the rack or at some point to play a better safety, leaving her an opportunity to get back to the table in an advantageous position to win the game/match.

Last edited:

JimGinPhx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You shouldn't pick your spots to have integrity. A serious player can't compromise themselves, ever. What happened was on a streamed table. The question of the hit wasn't close to a was it or wasn't it . It was an obvious wasn't.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I stopped a player last night from hitting the wrong object ball. Maybe the biggest reason was is because I knew I was going to beat him in the 3 game race.

In this situation however, did LJ know she fouled?

If I'm in a hill hill match final, I don't think I'm going to interrupt a player to tell them that I fouled.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This poll is flawed.

It assumes that JB knew she committed a foul and said nothing.
This makes no assumptions - it asks what you would do if you were in that situation. Would you have noticed the foul? If so choose A through D. If not choose E.

I was watching it live and would have been in the E group. I think if I were at the table I would have noticed there was no contact with a rail and I could see myself either A or C depending on my mood and frustration level at the moment. (More frustration = more likely I would have indicated a foul before LJH approached the table)

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was no 3-foul in question. It was the hill-hill game of the match. Player A, on a kick shot, hit the correct ball (1 ball) which ran in to some other balls, but clearly no balls made it to a rail so it should have been BIH for player B. Player A exited the table and took her seat, saying nothing. Player B took the table and proceeded to play the cue ball as it lied as opposed to taking the BIH. She could see the 1-ball but had no shot on it, and played a relatively weak safety leaving Player A a combination shot which she made, and the next shot Player B wins the game and match on a 1-9 combination, so clearly this incident and how it was handled may very likely/directly have influenced the outcome of the match. At the very least, with BIH, player B would have had a decent chance to either run out the rack or at some point to play a better safety, leaving her an opportunity to get back to the table in an advantageous position to win the game/match.
I see, said the blind man.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After watching the match now. If I was in that situation, playing against a friend and assuming I knew I fouled... I would have told my friend that it was BIH

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If known, I give up the ball to them, always. If I too slept the hit, which I have in the past, it is

up to my opponent to let me know. Which has also happened. So if I slept the hit, and my opponent

also didn't see it....did it really even happen? Nope.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was the OP in that thread. I did so under the assumption that there was no way JB could have missed the foul followed by the "no call". I still find it near impossible but will give her benefit of the doubt as an experienced tournament player. LJH snoozed it and lost so its movin' on time. I will say this deal has really made me more aware of both what i'm doing at a table as well as my opponent.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you look at JB's reaction as she watches the balls come to a stop, she shows NO signs of annoyance at having fouled. No wince, no frown, no scowl... She just calmly surveys the table to see what she has left her opponent. I have a hard time believing that she could knowingly foul in that situation and not have it show in her demeanor at all.

Neither player realized it was a foul.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I just watched it for the very 1st and 2nd time right now. I voted E because I honestly believe neither of them realized it. It was very late and both players were looking at it. As someone else mentioned Jennifer's demeanor never changed, so she didn't see it either. I think as tired as they both were, when the cueball hits the 3 after contact on the 1 both could've mistakes that as rail contact. Or even when the 2 hit the 7 ball.

Out of the 3 commentating, think Ed was the only one that really noticed and if he didn't I bet the other 2 wouldn't have noticed either.

I believe everyone in the crowd made the right move by not saying anything as it would be unfair to the players.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you look at JB's reaction as she watches the balls come to a stop, she shows NO signs of annoyance at having fouled. No wince, no frown, no scowl... She just calmly surveys the table to see what she has left her opponent. I have a hard time believing that she could knowingly foul in that situation and not have it show in her demeanor at all.

This was my summary as well.

Freddie <~~~ doesn’t think choice E really covers it

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The bottom line is that no one other than herself will ever know whether or not she knew she'd fouled. If she did, she's certainly not ever going to admit it to anyone.