John Schmidt at Bullshooters

poolhallbanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just amazing...

I watched him run through 5 racks yesterday get stuck start over then run 10 racks
followed by another big run. He is a man on a mission-a must see for those trying to
seriously improve their game through proper shot selection in pocket billiards.:thumbup:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a couple serious questions.

1.) Is John Schmidt the best straight pool player in the US?

2.) Where is he ranked in the world?

Thanks,

Ken

poolhallbanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just sayin..

John is probably the best living 14.1(straight pool) "high run" player in the world. That is why he is attempting to break Mosconi's high run of 526. He consistently runs in excess
of 100 balls numerous times in practice and has a high run over 400. There was another great player of the past who did break Mosconi's record but it was not documented sufficiently to surpass Mosconi. His name was Mike Euphemia.:thumbup:

Mich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John is probably the best living 14.1(straight pool) "high run" player in the world. That is why he is attempting to break Mosconi's high run of 526. He consistently runs in excess
of 100 balls numerous times in practice and has a high run over 400. There was another great player of the past who did break Mosconi's record but it was not documented sufficiently to surpass Mosconi. His name was Mike Euphemia.:thumbup:
That's quite a claim when Sigel is still alive--last I checked. Not to mention Rempe,Varner, Hopkins, Zuglan, West and Martin. LOL. But he is probably the best currently active 14.1 American player. Just not sure how good SVB is or could be if he competed in more 14.1 tournements............

mxurbanski

Registered
For Thursday April 4th and Sunday April 7th, Please look on the Bull Shooters Facebook page to see if there is a Live Stream going and for the links. I won't be around to post the links here.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
whatever his result here, how might playing so much straight pool affects john's rotation, 8-ball, and one pocket games? help hurt or ?

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
whatever his result here, how might playing so much straight pool affects john's rotation, 8-ball, and one pocket games? help hurt or ?

it's been said that to master pool as a total sport, one must be invovled with at least one 'game of finesse' which in this case is either straight pool or one pocket. I think straight pool is more of a play this game to increase skill and one pocket is more of play this game to show off skill but that's just my opinion. I believe playing straight pool increases ability and strengthens concentration.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

14.1 is the great teacher for all games.
It brings into play all skills needed.
Long shots
Finesse in tight spots
Moving balls (as in manufacturing a break ball)
Pattern play (the biggie here)
Occasional bank or carom
Exact and zone position play
Thinking ahead as many balls as you can.
Safety play (big one)

poolhallbanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just sayin...

!4.1 practice sessions traditionally have been both an excellent means of staying in top form and also a challenging exercise in besting ones highest run. However, research has shown that practicing many many consecutive hours in rotation pool is a better
approach for both rotational players and "knowledgeable" 14.1 players prior to competing in tournaments. 14.1 is a precision positioning game with a random luck
factor that in competition will allow, with all things being equal in 14.1 pattern skills, the
better more consistent "shot maker" to excel. This is what would make the rotation
player more consistent in competitive 14.1 tourneys. The key here is knowledge of the game in its entirety.:D

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
!4.1 practice sessions traditionally have been both an excellent means of staying in top form and also a challenging exercise in besting ones highest run. However, research has shown that practicing many many consecutive hours in rotation pool is a better
approach for both rotational players and "knowledgeable" 14.1 players prior to competing in tournaments. 14.1 is a precision positioning game with a random luck
factor that in competition will allow, with all things being equal in 14.1 pattern skills, the
better more consistent "shot maker" to excel. This is what would make the rotation
player more consistent in competitive 14.1 tourneys. The key here is knowledge of the game in its entirety.:D

thanks all for the replies.

I practice rotation (not well, but still) and am curious about
"research has shown that practicing many many consecutive hours in rotation pool is a better approach for both rotational players and "knowledgeable" 14.1 players prior to competing in tournaments"

link?

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's quite a claim when Sigel is still alive--last I checked. Not to mention Rempe,Varner, Hopkins, Zuglan, West and Martin. LOL. But he is probably the best currently active 14.1 American player. Just not sure how good SVB is or could be if he competed in more 14.1 tournements............

Ok well like he said ... John is the best right now . In ten years there will be another best at the time so on and so on !!!!! John is the best living now simple