Bridge and stroke length

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
short bridge and big stroke

Buddy Hall, others I have seen, sometimes drew the cue so far back with a short bridge that they got tip chalk on their hands, the tip went so far back into the bridge it didn't seem possible that the cue could be delivered perfectly. Of course with Buddy it was!

Two people made me revise my ideas of what was possible on a pool table. A never again seen game Willie played on TV against a tall, compared to Willie, player. I think Lassiter or Crane, possibly Grady. Anyway, this was a young Willie before his health issues. He was playing spot shape and playing across the approach area when it was most convenient. He had a shot where the leave was down a lane less than two balls wide between two other balls. He came off the rail and back into little more than a ball's width alley like it was a hanger!

I spent the next two or three years working on spot shape.

It was a few decades later when I first saw Efren. Again my understanding of what was possible on a cue table had to be revised! My game was so radically different that I didn't even try to copy the magician's style.

Pool is different today. Not really better or worse, just different. The big stroke is rarely needed and a finesse game can carry a person far.

Hu

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Yes, many pros use a super-long bridge with a super-short backstroke on many shots. However, some of the pros shift the cue in their grip hand during this stroke--it's a technique I've taught some players but not everyone is suited for it.

The typical player would GREATLY increase their runouts by switching from a very long bridge to a shorter bridge, while also stroking the ferrule all the way back to their bridge on the backstroke, for automated speed control, for example, a three-inch bridge for a soft stroke, a five-inch bridge to send the cue ball half a table length after impact with the ob and rail, and a seven-inch bridge to send the cue ball to other side of the table.

The very long bridge plus an abbreviated backstroke is a recipe for disaster IMHO for most players.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear/read all these lengths. I was suggested using a 6 - 8" Bridge. I measure the bridge from the pivot point (where the cue rests on or in it's spot at the thumb). I measure there to the tip to a diamond away (12.5"), when done it looks like an 8" bridge but when I do a true 8" bridge it looks like a 3" bridge due to finger length.

I spent years practicing with my bridge hand on the rail and using the diamond (9' table) to work the muscle memory. I believe it to be a great method.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddy Hall, others I have seen, sometimes drew the cue so far back with a short bridge that they got tip chalk on their hands, the tip went so far back into the bridge it didn't seem possible that the cue could be delivered perfectly. Of course with Buddy it was!

Two people made me revise my ideas of what was possible on a pool table. A never again seen game Willie played on TV against a tall, compared to Willie, player. I think Lassiter or Crane, possibly Grady. Anyway, this was a young Willie before his health issues. He was playing spot shape and playing across the approach area when it was most convenient. He had a shot where the leave was down a lane less than two balls wide between two other balls. He came off the rail and back into little more than a ball's width alley like it was a hanger!

I spent the next two or three years working on spot shape.

It was a few decades later when I first saw Efren. Again my understanding of what was possible on a cue table had to be revised! My game was so radically different that I didn't even try to copy the magician's style.

Pool is different today. Not really better or worse, just different. The big stroke is rarely needed and a finesse game can carry a person far.

Hu

So does the Rotation Master on YouTube...

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I measure the bridge from the pivot point (where the cue rests on or in it's spot at the thumb). I measure there to the tip to a diamond away (12.5")
What does the part in blue mean? Do you compare your bridge length to a diamond length to help estimate the bridge length in inches?

pj
chgo

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played in a small tournament, and noticed a LOT of guys, especially
younger players, using an absurdly long bridge, with their back hand
on the end of the butt... one guy would try to bridge off the rail no
matter where the CB was, like a 2 foot bridge. :rolleyes:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bridges can and will change based upon the shot. Use whatever style or length that allows your cue
stroke to be completed in the straightest line possible delivering the cue tip directly on the cue ball
exactly where as you intended it to arrive. The key is making sure the cue maintains a level path so
it continues & finishes in a perpendicular straight line the entire time after contacting the cue ball. When
your bridge is too long, there's unintended movement (variation), albeit miniscule, in the cue shaft. The
tendency is to dip when shooting below the equator and rise when aiming above the equator. A lot of
missed shots result from using draw, high follow & extreme side spin. A straight stroke works the best.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bridges can and will change based upon the shot. Use whatever style or length that allows your cue
stroke to be completed in the straightest line possible delivering the cue tip directly on the cue ball
exactly where as you intended it to arrive. The key is making sure the cue maintains a level path so
it continues & finishes in a perpendicular straight line the entire time after contacting the cue ball. When
your bridge is too long, there's unintended movement (variation), albeit miniscule, in the cue shaft. The
tendency is to dip when shooting below the equator and rise when aiming above the equator. A lot of
missed shots result from using draw, high follow & extreme side spin. A straight stroke works the best.

Excellent post. When discussing this (or any) topic, many can't differenciate between the forest/trees. The amount of disinformation is staggering at times. Fortunatly, some, like Bavafongoul, get it.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
by switching from a very long bridge to a shorter bridge, while also stroking the ferrule all the way back to their bridge on the backstroke, for automated speed control, for example, a three-inch bridge for a soft stroke, a five-inch bridge to send the cue ball half a table length after impact with the ob and rail, and a seven-inch bridge to send the cue ball to other side of the table.

Perhaps you'd like to explain how the following variables would affect bridge lengths in regards to speed control.
1) Thickness of contact on OB
2) Type and amount of english applied to CB
3) Distance of OB from rail being contacted
4) Angle of CB into the rail
5) Speed of stroke acceleration

If you could also give a link to video of someone using a 3" bridge that would be appreciated.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it seems that the location of a cue's balance point could potentially have a significant effect on bridge/stroke length, especially for players using an open bridge.

thoughts?

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Speed control has nothing to do with bridge length, but is solely stroke related.

When a short distance is used between the bridge hand and grip hand, this allows for a different shoulder angle than when a long distance is used between the bridge hand and grip hand.

With a long bridge/grip distance, the bridge arm is extended straighter causing the shoulders hence upper body to rotate toward the bridge hand. You are standing at a angle to the shot.

With a short bridge/grip distance, the shoulders hence upper body does not need to rotate as much and you are standing more square to the shot than with a long bridge/grip distance.

Just my observations about my playing. Recently, I’ve been paying attention to my shoulder angle in relation to the shot. I’ve founded being more square to the shot helps my consistency and a short bridge/grip distance allows for this.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great question. My opinion.
1. The Pro bridge may be a little longer than the lesser players BUT most of them only pull their cue back (backstroke) to about 6-7 inches.
2. The Bridge is a product of each different player. We try to find the player"s "sweet spot" when deciding on bridge length.
3. SPF Instructors NEVER teach the "Phony Follow Thru". Our follow thru is based on our Body, Bridge & Stance. We each have our personal follow thru position.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The distance from the cue ball to the object ball should determine your bridge. The closer they are - the shorter the bridge (for power, finesse and control). The further they are - the longer the bridge (for power, finesse, and control). You'll have to figure those bridge lengths out for yourself as there is NO standard for every player. There is no standard stance, stroke, grip, line-up, or bridge length. Each player has to figure this out through practice and competition.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speed control has nothing to do with bridge length, but is solely stroke related.

When a short distance is used between the bridge hand and grip hand, this allows for a different shoulder angle than when a long distance is used between the bridge hand and grip hand.

With a long bridge/grip distance, the bridge arm is extended straighter causing the shoulders hence upper body to rotate toward the bridge hand. You are standing at a angle to the shot.

With a short bridge/grip distance, the shoulders hence upper body does not need to rotate as much and you are standing more square to the shot than with a long bridge/grip distance.

Just my observations about my playing. Recently, I’ve been paying attention to my shoulder angle in relation to the shot. I’ve founded being more square to the shot helps my consistency and a short bridge/grip distance allows for this.

You're absolutely correct that speed is not controlled by bridge length.
What you say after that has me a bit baffled. I can't picture how changing your bridge length would change the angle of your body.
You also are using the terms short bridge/grip distance and long bridge/grip distance. It seems like you're referring to the distance between your 2 hands being either closer to one another or further from each other. Is that what you're saying?
Once established, that distance should not change whether you use a 6" bridge or a 16" bridge unless it puts your grip hand off the back of the cue. In that case you need a longer cue or need to shorten your bridge length.
If you could clarify some to help me understand it would be appreciated.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How?

pj
chgo

hi pat, my hypothesis (so far) is that if a cue's balance point is not far enough forward, a player will unnecessarily adjust their grip and bridge hands to compensate for the difference in balance, making their overall body position less comfortable, and ultimately less effective.

besides making a single shot more difficult, a by-product of this unnecessary adjusting could be establishing/reinforcing bad body position habits, limiting a player's overall growth.

I really just worked this out for myself, but what do you think? does it jive?

would be glad to hear any thoughts and/or opinions on the subject-

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I add that it was stated during the Duel Chang match that you can play with the bridge hand farther away with a low deflection shaft, I have found that to be true

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to feel the balance point of my cue at a defined spot when I'm down on a typical shot (not stretching out or in some contorted position). In order for the balance point to be at that spot, my armspan dictates where I must hold the cue to be in the proper position.

For me, my bridge is about 10 inches from the tip and my grip hand is about 3 inches down from the top of the wrap.

I may adjust up and down a bit for various shots, but that is my "go to" system when I approach the table for every shot.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
You're absolutely correct that speed is not controlled by bridge length.
What you say after that has me a bit baffled. I can't picture how changing your bridge length would change the angle of your body.
You also are using the terms short bridge/grip distance and long bridge/grip distance. It seems like you're referring to the distance between your 2 hands being either closer to one another or further from each other. Is that what you're saying?
Once established, that distance should not change whether you use a 6" bridge or a 16" bridge unless it puts your grip hand off the back of the cue. In that case you need a longer cue or need to shorten your bridge length.
If you could clarify some to help me understand it would be appreciated.

It’s not the distance between the bridge hand and ball, but the distance from my bridge hand and grip hand.

I don’t have a standard bridge to ball distance. But I have noticed that if I use a longer distance between my grip hand and bridge hand, it effects how my shoulders are turned which seem to matter in my style of play.