APA screwed our very own sleinen out of a national championship

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And yet they blame the league for this issue....

In a handicapped league, there will always be someone trying to manipulate the system. Then number of times they get it right, in my opinion, is much higher than the number of times they get it wrong. Yet people want to jump on a flourishing and self sustaining league that actually promotes the game, because ONE customer got a little bent out of shape. SMH.

One team suspended. What about all of the other teams that managed to make it through the event unscathed?

Except more then one team got suspended.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 2009, in the 9 ball team championships...my team played a team out of Chicago. Nobody spoke English but 1 guy. The rest were Czechs. Our 3 comes out and gets drilled 18-2. I am up next, kind of the juggernaut of the team. I am getting DRUMMED 30+ to 4 when the guy breaks his cue down and shakes my hand all of the sudden. He forfeited the match. His league operator called the team captain and told them to forfeit the rest of the matches because the so called 5 I was playing started the tournament as a 3 and he only dogged off the 9 ball twice to let me break. He was playing position like that of a 9. Apparently another player on that team had also already jumped two skill levels and their league operator was about to lose a tournament slot. It was the strangest thing, but we were honestly happy to take an early evening and get some rest for the next morning. It put us in position to take 9th out of over 450 teams. We lost the next morning to a team from Louisiana.

So yeah, APA sucks...but it gets me out of the house to bang balls for 8 bucks a night.

Shorty

True story, i was there and heard about this. I believe they were still handed suspensions though.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Except more then one team got suspended.

First I heard of it. They mentioned on the live stream on Saturday night that only one team had been disqualified. 8b team?

Were you there for Masters? We played a team from your area first round. I played terrible, but they were a blast to chat with.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First I heard of it. They mentioned on the live stream on Saturday night that only one team had been disqualified. 8b team?

Were you there for Masters? We played a team from your area first round. I played terrible, but they were a blast to chat with.

No i didn't go this year but i know a team from Strokers where i play out of lost in the final 16 i believe. They got a call a little while later and were told they were still in the tournament as the other team had been suspended. this was 9 ball

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
No i didn't go this year but i know a team from Strokers where i play out of lost in the final 16 i believe. They got a call a little while later and were told they were still in the tournament as the other team had been suspended. this was 9 ball

I was at Strokers last year for the US Amateurs. Nice room. Great kitchen!

We played a team from the same room. Bald guy, heavier set guy, and a long haired Latin guy with skull rings. They were a hoot to play. Great guys.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was at Strokers last year for the US Amateurs. Nice room. Great kitchen!

We played a team from the same room. Bald guy, heavier set guy, and a long haired Latin guy with skull rings. They were a hoot to play. Great guys.

Lots of good people at strokers. I don't play regular league anymore, just masters. You sound about like me when it comes to people's names, lol.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
Lots of good people at strokers. I don't play regular league anymore, just masters. You sound about like me when it comes to people's names, lol.

I was sick, tired, and the airline had lost my luggage and cues for 24 hours. I’m surprised I remembered my name at 8am that Monday morning.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I believe that the area can be very tough is a possibility.

Something tells me their whole area was most likely under rated. Sean is one of my favorite posters and he seems like a man of integrity so when I hear he was playing 8 ball as a 6 it makes me scratch my head a bit.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
The LO has that much control over their players skill levels? Is there an audit trail that can lead back to how the information is put into their system?

A 100 ball runner is a 7. No matter what area they play in. I think the LO isn’t paying attention, or has their finger on the override button.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
The LO has that much control over their players skill levels? Is there an audit trail that can lead back to how the information is put into their system?

The LO for their league will be in hot water with head office. It doesn’t just affect the team in question. Their LO has some ‘splaining to do.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wasn't finished....

So either Sean's game isn't as good as I though or his area is just out of whack. I believe he has run over 100 balls several times. I don't know any 100 ball runners that aren't 7's. So my hunch is these guys were on a bit of a rating island and what happened to them was due to this.

I like the APA, but it's not flawless. Over about 25 years, it's clear to me that the handicaps in a division can wander off in the high direction and once they get there, they stay there.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. In a division with no real 7s, the best 6 will become a 7 eventually. That player will have a very high win percentage as a 6, and the system will lift them up to a 7 once they have a few games out of their last 30 that are at 7 speed (even if they have other games at 5 speed). At that point, there's a weak 7 in the division, but the 7 won't drop unless he goes below 50%, which is a terrible win % for a 7. This will lift other players up: 4s will beat that 7 in a 5-2 race (much bigger than the correct 5-3 spot . . . 250% vs. 67%) with fairly low innings. That pulls the 4 up to a 5, but it's really because the 7 is weak. Now the over-handicapped 5 causes 2s and 3s to win a bit more often and they go up.

I could go on, but the point is that if there aren't good 7s in a division then handicaps tend to drift up. Conversely, even just a few good 7s, even better a super 7, will be enough to keep the 5s and 6s where they belong, which keeps the 3s and 4s where they belong, and so on. Therefore, a team that comes out of a division with stronger players will tend to have lower handicaps.

I can't know, but it is entirely possible that the team in question never sandbagged yet was legitimately under-handicapped.

The APA relies on innings, which has been reasonably good for them over the years. But it really doesn't fully equalize across disparate divisions. That's one of the strengths of FargoRate: a fairly small number of connections (even second order connections) among two disparate pools of players is enough to make the ratings in the two pools comparable. To my knowledge, the APA doesn't have anything like that. But they should.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about the teams they eliminated from the tournament? Seems like more than one team got screwed, yes?

Yes. They should start over and replay the entire bracket. What if one of the first few teams they played was good enough to beat all the same people. But not so good as to get DQ'd.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok. So, let’s say I have a team that coasts through the regional circuit. We’re drinking and having a good time. We have ranking established based on that lax attitude. You know, everyone else is doing the same thing, right? We get to regionals, decide to cut out the booze, and pay more attention. We qualify for Vegas. We decide to practice for 2 months to get ready. I really work with my 2s and 3s. We get to Vegas, and start blowing through the competition at our current ranks that are based on booze ball for 3 sessions. We win the event.

Fair, according to you?

That's how competitors who want to win would approach it.

I agree that they should play weekly like they plan to play in the tournament (drinking, not taking things seriously) but practicing for a big event is expected among people who want to win/succeed at something.

I usually have a few beers when I play leagues but when I go to nationals I probably won't have any because a lot of matches are early in the day and it IS a big event so I want to be as sharp as possible.

That doesn't seem like cheating to me. It seems like common sense.

Maybe the APA isn't for people who want to win and are willing to work for it.

Maybe it's only for people who want to win and are willing to sandbag for it.

In fact, I'm not going to call sandbagging cheating anymore in the APA. It's a legitimate strategy and something the APA expects players to do. Just like calling time out or playing defense. Handicap management is as important to the team captain as deciding which player to play against which player.

This team's big mistake was trying to do things 'honestly' with an impaired notion of what honestly means in the APA.

If they had only sandbagged like good little sandbaggers and missed a few shots here and there and upped the innings they would have been fine.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok. So, let’s say I have a team that coasts through the regional circuit. We’re drinking and having a good time. We have ranking established based on that lax attitude. You know, everyone else is doing the same thing, right? We get to regionals, decide to cut out the booze, and pay more attention. We qualify for Vegas. We decide to practice for 2 months to get ready. I really work with my 2s and 3s. We get to Vegas, and start blowing through the competition at our current ranks that are based on booze ball for 3 sessions. We win the event.

Fair, according to you?
Yes. Not cheating is fair. So now a team that is not going to get shots at nine in the morning needs to declare that they believe they are at an unfair advantage because the other team can't control themselves? Do you even listen yourself?

F*ing nut hugger. I'm done with you.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im late to the party but read most of this stuff.

5 players is a lot but its NOT five skill levels. I think many people miss that part and the APA is the only ones that can actually see that.

Simple explanation - if a person is a 4 they are not simply a 4. There are 4s that are closer to a 3 and 4s closer to a 5. Lets say that its a 10 point scale.
Someone can be a "4.9" and move up to a 5.2. That is NOT a skill level.

I have seen more than one team have more than 2 players go up.

As a 7 and what I think is a good player and teacher I think many teams have 5 players that CAN go up with some help.
I just wonder why it didn't show before getting off the plane. They were in league. How did none of the 5 NOT go up at home.

I play APA one night per week. I hear more talk about sandbagging than I ever want to and have yet to see more than a few players that were truely sandbagging. Many people want to believe they are sandbaggers. show me a 7 that is playing and winning as a 4 or 5 and can keep it looking good. That is a sandbagger. i person that is a 5 but maybe could be a 5 is just a guy that thinks he can turn it on. There is so much he cant do or doesnt know.

Im not sorry the team got DQ'd as I think the only way to somewhat control is to punish but perhaps they can figure something out for the 2 year suspensions. Some lesser skilled players get caught up in the "everyones doing it mantra" and might not try their best some nights or even lose on purpose. Maybe they learn from less than a 2 year suspension. maybe not

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
The LO for their league will be in hot water with head office. It doesn’t just affect the team in question. Their LO has some ‘splaining to do.

Yes I can get on board with that. When something like this happens (it's beyond "if") - The LO is in serious hot water.

The LO will then in turn talk to their region players about it (I've seen it) and you'll start to see great players from teams; anchor players... leave the APA.

Why?

Not because they are the sandbaggers, but because they know the people that stay are going to ask those questions of a better player.
They're going to tell the better player to break it down early (as noted in post above)
They're going to tell the better player to lay down/play more safes (as seen above)

And the better player, being the better player that he/she is - will walk from that, because that's what better players do.

They shouldn't be asked those questions of a team captain or any player on their team. So what do you get left after the smoke clears? Well, team captain is still there, working on his next handicap manipulate. All the SL-2's through 5's are still there, because it's about social connection, drinking a beer and laughing with friends.

The better player will spend his remainder of time in the practice table - avoiding Monday nights at all costs, only to get asked numerous times if he wants to "play on our team"........

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have a link to some of the matches from the DQ'd team? I asked google to no avail, and fb is foreign to me.