It's George tip tool

dvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all

Just got an its George tip tool and not sure how to use it
The smaller circle leaves the tip rather flat. I have other tools that yield a nice dime radius but need to change the sandpaper often

My google search only gave me sale sites

Anyone have any instructional info for what is likely a simple process

Thanks
Dave

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi all

Just got an its George tip tool and not sure how to use it
The smaller circle leaves the tip rather flat. I have other tools that yield a nice dime radius but need to change the sandpaper often

My google search only gave me sale sites

Anyone have any instructional info for what is likely a simple process

Thanks
Dave

dont know anything about your tip tool ,sorry
but i never have had a problem with last4ever tip tool
http://last4ever.net/

Phil Carr

"It's George" coudn't be easier to use. The small concave area (pit) is for actually shaping the tip, and for giving you a nice rounded shape. Check the diameter of the tip after shaping with the two cut outs as to what depth of curve you prefer. THEN use the larger roughed disc, if needed, to further shape the roundness (or the very top of the tip) to your preferences, again using the cut outs on the side of the tool to check shape. You can add more roundness using this part of the tool quite easily if desired.
You can use the reverse side for crude roughing if necessary or just to get some purchase on your tip in between shots. I like to think they designed it this way so that the tool could get some grip on a carpeted floor (it does NOT work too well on smooth floors - linoleum etc). I use mine by placing "It's George" ON the floor, disc sides up and then inverting my cue, placing it into the SMALL dome, and twisting it to and fro (as would a boy Scout making a fire with a twig). I find this gives me the fastest and best action for shaping the tip. So easy and convenient, it's really a great design.
I would NOT recommend the larger of the two discs on the tool to 'rough' the tip, especially with a finer grade LAYERED tip like a Kamui. It will also flatten the tip as I see you have already experienced. Instead, I use a "Tip Pik" which does the job superbly without altering the curvature. This will easily last the length of a match or should do. NEVER use sandpaper as the grit will get into the tip and will scratch the cue ball when a shot is played - NOT good. I hope this is of help to you. I like the "George" tool. Simple design, easy to use and FAST!