McDermott carbon fiber in the game

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess McDermott is throwing their hat in the carbon fiber shaft ring. Any of you who said these shafts were a flash in the pan want to admit maybe they were wrong ?? :thumbup:

Attachments

• 2A2EBFC7-ACD8-4D79-B25D-E67EA228FE91.jpg
    2A2EBFC7-ACD8-4D79-B25D-E67EA228FE91.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,301

WoodyMPW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess McDermott is throwing their hat in the carbon fiber shaft ring. Any of you who said these shafts were a flash in the pan want to admit maybe they were wrong ?? :thumbup:

Monkey see, monkey do. Baboons buy.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hardest part is going to be thinking of new shaft names for the high tech shafts.

The Destroyermator. Destroy and Dominate your Opponents! RARRRR! Buy new black and white cues to try to match your new black shaft! It's fun!

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Monkey see, monkey do. Baboons buy.

If there is a demand fill it. That’s how it works if you want to stay In business. Pool players over all are cheap as hell. Golfers spend $50 for a dozen balls and think nothing of it. We complain if a $20 glove only lasts 6 months. Lol golfers embrace new ideas and technology. Pool players freak at the slightest idea that a new idea could be better.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How do you order one of these?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
McDermott manufacturing is top-notch, these will probably rival the Revo for quality control

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First let me start out by saying I really like McDermott products; however, their pricing has continued to go up significantly (was going to buy the G902 listed at $860 for longest time and almost pulled the trigger end of last year but decided not too). However I would still check the cue out online from time to time and I noticed two different times where the prices were increased across the board....same cue is now listed at $1,089!

Their latest wood shaft is the iPro (mine is the 12mm version). It is one of the most expensive wood shaft on the market...it is WAY overpriced at ~ $350 and I see no real benefit from its features
:
1) black ferrule caught my attention and seemed to make sense in pictures, but I don't really like how the ferrule looks when I'm down on the shot

2) laminated shaft, "most radially consistent ever"...yet I have never had a problem with the two G-Cores they offer, in fact I prefer them and they are half price

3) it has the weirdest conical taper among any European/conical shaft I own (can't explain, but taper is very noticeable compared to gradual tapers from: WX900, OB Pro+, Z3, etc.

4) the Navigator Alpha Medium tip looked very cool in the web photos and after you shaped it you saw various blue/pink/yellow layers; however, its playability was not very good...it was the quickest wearing tip I've ever used and wouldn't hold its shape very well (have since cut off and put a LePro...I think the dark brown contrast on the black ferrule doesn't look too bad)

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
First let me start out by saying I really like McDermott products; however, their pricing has continued to go up significantly (was going to buy the G902 listed at $860 for longest time and almost pulled the trigger end of last year but decided not too). However I would still check the cue out online from time to time and I noticed two different times where the prices were increased across the board....same cue is now listed at $1,089!

Their latest wood shaft is the iPro (mine is the 12mm version). It is one of the most expensive wood shaft on the market...it is WAY overpriced at ~ $350 and I see no real benefit from its features
:
1) black ferrule caught my attention and seemed to make sense in pictures, but I don't really like how the ferrule looks when I'm down on the shot

2) laminated shaft, "most radially consistent ever"...yet I have never had a problem with the two G-Cores they offer, in fact I prefer them and they are half price

3) it has the weirdest conical taper among any European/conical shaft I own (can't explain, but taper is very noticeable compared to gradual tapers from: WX900, OB Pro+, Z3, etc.

4) the Navigator Alpha Medium tip looked very cool in the web photos and after you shaped it you saw various blue/pink/yellow layers; however, its playability was not very good...it was the quickest wearing tip I've ever used and wouldn't hold its shape very well (have since cut off and put a LePro...I think the dark brown contrast on the black ferrule doesn't look too bad)

Did that have something to do with the Carbon Fiber shaft? :grin:

You go on to say they're (McDermott) too expensive (over-priced) and then complain about tapers and tips.

So what exactly "do you like" about McDermott products?

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You go on to say they're (McDermott) too expensive (over-priced) and then complain about tapers and tips.

So what exactly "do you like" about McDermott products?

They used to be priced more inline with the rest of the market, and I purchased all 3 McDermott cues before the price hikes (you can see all my cues in detail in one of my earliest posts). Love their G-Core shafts and their lineup of cues under $500 are great value for the money (all of my McD's were under this price at time of purchase, but not since).

I really looked forward to the iPro, as it looked so promising so I purchased an entire cue that came with it for like $120 more; however, I was so disappointed in every aspect of the shaft (i.e. taper, tip, feel). So what I'm saying is that one of the highest-priced shafts I bought really let me down. Love the rest of that cue though.

Me likey McDermott as a whole / Me no likey iPro shaft

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
If there is a demand fill it. That’s how it works if you want to stay In business. Pool players over all are cheap as hell. Golfers spend $50 for a dozen balls and think nothing of it. We complain if a $20 glove only lasts 6 months. Lol golfers embrace new ideas and technology. Pool players freak at the slightest idea that a new idea could be better.

Unfortunately there is typically a higher class of individual in the golf world than there is in the pool world. There are exceptions but not many.

Kevin

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately there is typically a higher class of individual in the golf world than there is in the pool world. There are exceptions but not many.

Kevin

Money don’t give you class lol but over all you might be right. But I know plenty of close minded rich people as well. Lol

Ty Arnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately kevin is right. On average pool has always attracted more people rough around the edges so to speak, when compared to golf.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The more, the merrier. Am I correct in saying that only Meucci currently has a CF shaft available with an 11.75 mm tip? I've been shooting with this shaft for about a month now and am getting ready to purchase one more as a spare. I've owned Revos since their introduction and also have the Cuetec Cynergy. I liked the hit of the Cynergy over the Revo and the Meucci even more. A lot of my associates are split between maple and CF about 50-50. Many of the "wood shooters" were impressed with the CF's even though their preference for wood did not change.

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
The more, the merrier. Am I correct in saying that only Meucci currently has a CF shaft available with an 11.75 mm tip? I've been shooting with this shaft for about a month now and am getting ready to purchase one more as a spare. I've owned Revos since their introduction and also have the Cuetec Cynergy. I liked the hit of the Cynergy over the Revo and the Meucci even more. A lot of my associates are split between maple and CF about 50-50. Many of the "wood shooters" were impressed with the CF's even though their preference for wood did not change.

Becue has the 5.1 which is 11.8mm w/ conical/euro taper.