A New Way to One Hole

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
Either you are being sarcastic or you should not play one pocket. The game you have described has no resemblance to one pocket. Don't play the game if you don't want to. Every good one pocket player will tell you the same thing....They started out hating and avoiding one pocket and they came to the conclusion that you need every bit of table knowledge, imagination, and stroke to play it well. Now if they have to choose a game, any game, it's one pocket. Learn the game. It will improve your concentration in all the other games.

It was obviously a joke, the person was describing 9/10 ball..... wow

Reactions: cor

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
One pocket is like any other pool game - it's great when champions play it and it sucks and is impossible to watch when weak players play it.

I'm not a fan of one pocket........unless, Chohan, Alex, Efren, Shane etc. are playing it, then you can't drag me away, there's nothing else I'd rather watch.

The game is perfect the way it is. People won't watch 8,9,10 ball either, too many other more "exciting" things to do.
Jason

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The beauty of one pocket is you can become an accomplished player with different sets of skills. A strong banker or shooter can often overcome a mover and vice versa depending on the combination of all these skills and your ability to figure out your opponents strong/weak tendencies and use them to your advantage.

It is fine the way it is and no one will never get it all figured out. That's what makes it the best pool game on the planet.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One pocket is like any other pool game - it's great when champions play it and it sucks and is impossible to watch when weak players play it.

I'm not a fan of one pocket........unless, Chohan, Alex, Efren, Shane etc. are playing it, then you can't drag me away, there's nothing else I'd rather watch.

The game is perfect the way it is. People won't watch 8,9,10 ball either, too many other more "exciting" things to do.
Jason

Next time we meet up let's play some one pocket. You have a very accomplished game and would be really good at it.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Next time we meet up let's play some one pocket. You have a very accomplished game and would be really good at it.

I'll give it a shot. I should've taken lessons from Tom Wirth everyday when I lived by him. 5/6 years of that and I'd be good to go lol
Hope you're doing good
Jason

cor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Either you are being sarcastic or you should not play one pocket. The game you have described has no resemblance to one pocket. Don't play the game if you don't want to. Every good one pocket player will tell you the same thing....They started out hating and avoiding one pocket and they came to the conclusion that you need every bit of table knowledge, imagination, and stroke to play it well. Now if they have to choose a game, any game, it's one pocket. Learn the game. It will improve your concentration in all the other games.

Pretty sure you didn't read what I wrote. Read it again....

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty sure you didn't read what I wrote. Read it again....

I read it and knew what you were describing but you never know why or who is posting what sometimes around here. People here have their own agendas, present company excluded of course. ;)

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are two different issues here that are being interchanged in the discussion.

1) one pocket from the player's perspective, and

2) one pocket from a spectator perspective.

While the slowness of OP is cited as the problem for spectators I think there is actually a bigger problem that won't be fixed by rules changes. The problem is that unless one is a reasonably accomplished OP player themselves they probably do not have a clue as to what is really happening as they watch the game. It would be like a patzer watching a chess game between 2 Grandmasters. He can watch the moves, but he really has no idea what they are really doing. Which means that there is virtually no chance that OP can be a venue for bringing in non-players as fans.

That is no knock on one pocket. Clearly it is a great game as measured by the passion with which its adherents talk about it. Lots of great games are not spectator-friendly.

The good news for players is that no matter what rules changes anyone ever makes for "serious" tournament competitions or matches, you are still free to play it the way you always have. Heck, in our senior center we still have folks playing 1 and 15 eight-ball.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
The beauty of one pocket is you can become an accomplished player with different sets of skills. A strong banker or shooter can often overcome a mover and vice versa depending on the combination of all these skills and your ability to figure out your opponents strong/weak tendencies and use them to your advantage.
It is fine the way it is and no one will never get it all figured out. That's what makes it the best pool game on the planet.

You are correct, Mr. Henderson.
The Professor always said: "Play to your strengths, and to your opponents weaknesses. If he can't make a long shot, leave him on the Head rail all day long." :smile:

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why bother changing the rules for a game that wouldn't see any TV time to show off to new viewers? Do you really think the people behind the scenes would want 1 Pocket to be the TV game over 9 ball?

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
Wow, I thought the title of this thread was related to AzB's new-found curiosity with Shane's sexuality.

Awizzzy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds interesting... The One hole that is.. Derp, The 1 pocket alternative.. Well there is nowhere I can go with this that make it sound any better.. lol :grin::grin:

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Use less balls to make it faster. Use 9 balls and make it short-rack one-pocket. 5 balls to win.

Awizzzy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make 1-Pocket like speed pool. Do the full races but they have to run around the table in a panic. If we ant to liven it up further, make it that the cue ball cannot stop.

lol... :grin::grin::grin::grin-square::grin-square:

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just play 9 ball if you want a fast game and like racking a lot. One pocket is perfect how it is.

I have to agree with you, billiardthought.
One-hole is fine just the way it is.

It's a beautiful, insightful, and strategic game for those who appreciate the
intricacies of pool.

A pool game that requires just the right amounts of patience and attack.
It is the experienced pool player who knows when and how much of each to
inject on each shot.

NO, LEAVE ONE-HOLE ALONE--DON'T MESS WITH THIS GREAT GAME!!!

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, I thought the title of this thread was related to AzB's new-found curiosity with Shane's sexuality.

Who cares what his sexuality is, Kris?
That's already be alluded to.
It's his business.

Tryng to be funny in this case was bad form.

Go ahead and attack back, sir/maam--I'm ready.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to agree with you, One-hole is fine just the way it is. It's a beautiful, insightful, and strategic game for those who appreciate the intricacies of pool.... LEAVE ONE-HOLE ALONE--DON'T MESS WITH THIS GREAT GAME!!!

All very true John, the cream has finally come to the top!..From now on, the huge majority of high-$$$ matches, (between top players) will most likely be one pocket!..Let A+, highly skilled players, like Strickland and Archer, etc., battle away at their 'paint by numbers' games!..Its too late for them to catch up now!..They will routinely be drubbed, by 'B' players, who concentrated on learning how to play one pocket, before 'luck oriented' games! ;)

PS..Also, most 'C' players may prefer watching 8 or 9 ball, over a good one pocket game..But, that is probably why they will always remain, 'C' players! :sorry:

Last edited: