1980's 14.1 Tournaments

14.1'er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have a link to some of the 80's matches with Sigel, Varner and Hopkins? I used to see them on YouTube, but just can't find them for some reason.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Does anyone have a link to some of the 80's matches with Sigel, Varner and Hopkins? I used to see them on YouTube, but just can't find them for some reason.

you dont see them on youtube because they were bootlegged over to there and got removed.

Check out www.accu-stats.com for their library, i'm sure Pat Flemming has them on there for sale.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
From the Accu-Stats catalog, the earliest matches I found were from the early 90s. All three of those players are listed. I don't think Pat was recording matches earlier than about 1986, so anything before would have been from broadcasts or one-off recordings, I think.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before accustats started recording, who would be the ones who own any of the broadcasts from tournaments? I've always wondered this about baseball and other sports. How many 14.1 events could be out there in the wild?

JimD

Registered
I taped them via VHS when they originally aired. I have tapes of Varner, Hopkins, Rempe and Siegel. I watch them every now and then and wish straight pool could be televised again as it was at that time. I consider watching these gentlemen a treat and treasure these tapes. Lou Butera called the matches and one can learn a great deal from watching each matches and seeing how these great pros approach the game and listening to Lou predict each shot.
I also attended the matches arranged by the Birkbeck brothers in Horsham Pa during the early 90’s. One of those events was Caras versus Mosconi. The two part video can be found on YouTube. Two of the all time greats. I remember Willie almost dancing around the table during practice as he stalked the table. I could watch straight pool every day. In all these years since those events, I still haven’t warmed up to watching nine ball as a spectator. I respect the game but would much rather watch straight pool.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

JimD

Registered
If legal, I would gladly upload the videos on YouTube but I sense that I would need permission(s) to do that.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If legal, I would gladly upload the videos on YouTube but I sense that I would need permission(s) to do that.

go ahead and upload them and just put down the copyright line in the description. if it is already available at accu-stats, pretty much the only place that I know of to buy 14.1 videos, don't upload those.

But please, upload some of that stuff as I'm sure a lot of us would appreciate seeing footage of the old masters at work.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
A lot of older matches aired on cable (e.g., ESPN) are available, and have been available to view on YouTube for years. As others have noted, don't upload any Accu-Stats stuff - but it doesn't sound like that is what you were talking about.

You will be the hero of the quarantine!

JimD

Registered
These matches were taped directly from my TV/ VCR not Accu-stats.
I’ll upload in the coming weeks. These were the matches from Atlantic City. The picture quality is what one would expect from that era. Good but not today’s sharpness.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks! Mike's interview after the 150 run he said he ran 0ver 300 at age 19 or 20! He said most guys from 82 to that time in 92 were not even playing much 14.1. He felt they could run 500 + if they were really concentrating on 14.1 during that 10 year period. I believe he could have done it. He was running 150s in limited competition with no problem - I saw him do it in the 89 US 14.1 Open. Imagine if he had been competing every week or month in 14.1 between 82 and 92! Practice runs above 500 would have been very possible for him. Grady stated that Harold Worst ran 200 every day he practiced then just stopped at 200 because the practice was over!

JimD

Registered
My wife put all of my pool tapes in containers in my basement and other rooms /closets. I always panic when I come home from work to learn she “organized” my stuff. I’ve gone through some of it. I know that the 14.1 tapes are in my house; I need to find them.