I don't get around much anymore

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great singer but 100% not Fat's daughter! :eek:
That's certainly what the rumor was. A rumor from Etta herself. Maybe wishful thinking? Stolen from an interview linked on her Wikipedia page:

Dorothy Hawkins (Etta's mother) died this past May. But she outlived the man rumored to be James' father -- the enigmatic pool shark, Minnesota Fats. James met him once, in 1987, when she tracked him to the Heritage Hotel in Nashville and rang his room.

"He says, 'I'll be in the lobby,' " she says, pronouncing lobby as 'laahhhhby.' "He talked like that. 'I'll be in the lobby with one of my dames.' He had a vibe like me. As far as me knowing that's my father? I don't know. But he seemed like he was.

"When he passed, he sent me a beautiful golden watch that hung on his clothes that had his name on it. And he sent me a letter, and told me that he wanted me to write a song about him and stuff, which I never did. But I often thought about that."

James looks down wistfully at her hands. Despite a perfect French manicure, they're large, masculine hands -- just like those of Minnesota Fats. Then her head snaps back up. "Oh! And he gave us a picture - and the picture looked just like Donto, my oldest son. It was just like Donto."

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I miss league and Sunday practice as it anchored my week.

I miss my Sunday practice, but I don't miss any leagues (I didn't play on one).

The Sunday league always came in during the early afternoon and took over the majority of the tables and I had to quit practicing.
I'm lucky to have access to my closed pool hall, so I still get to practice every day, and I'm even enjoying the quiet so far - but I have a feeling I'm eventually going to miss being annoyed by the leagues.

pj
chgo

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took my Tascarella out today just to look at it. Took a bunch of imaginary shots on my desk. I didn't miss.

Been watching Mosconi on YouTube in his instructional video and some of the old ESPN matches. I think the man is seriously underrated. And I mean that sincerely not tongue in cheek.

Been trying to find anything I can to help the user that wants to make the 626 Rambow cue tribute with Pete. So little to find. Playing ShootersPool.

Might take the Tascarella out again.

Oh, and though not super big or anything experienced first really noticeable earthquake in San Diego in quite a while,

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love this song! Love Etta James! Love Minnesota Fats!

My fave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZt1xKtPbUQ

Interesting AzB thread about Etta James and the movie Cadillac Records, which features Beyoncé playing Etta. There is mention in this movie about Etta and who she believed was her father. The AzB thread has over 75,000 hits

Minnesota Fats, Muddy Waters, and Etta James: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=123257

Quote by Jerry Forsyth in the above-referenced thread: I interviewed Fats in Nashville just a year or so before he died. Afterward when we were just sitting and chatting off the record he said that he had a lot of good things in life to look back on, including "my daughter the singer, who I never claimed but she knows I love her." He did not say the name and I had not heard the Etta James story at that point so I did not pursue it.

Etta James passed away January 20, 2012, at the age of 73.

Attachments

• Etta_James[1].jpg
    Etta_James[1].jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well when I flashed down this page and see that photo of Etta- there is a very strong resemblance to Fats- just look at the eyes, I mean, you can't miss the resemblance.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting AzB thread about Etta James and the movie Cadillac Records, which features Beyoncé playing Etta. There is mention in this movie about Etta and who she believed was her father. The AzB thread has over 75,000 hits

Wow, Jenny, you've been on the case since 2008! You must be quite a fan of both.

They filmed a bit of Cadillac Records at my place. Not much of it made it into the film, unfortunately. Did get to meet Mos Def, though. Nice guy.

Movie 027.jpg

Movie 010.jpg

Movie 001.jpg

Attachments

• Movie 006.jpg
    Movie 006.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 435

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look up Etta James singing "Rock Roll music" with Chuck Barry

the very best rock roll performance I ever saw

more powerful than Pearl

Look it up,I bet you won't be able to listen or rather watch it just one time

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith Richards was playing bach up

someone needs to put a thing on here to allow the rest of us to see this fantastic performance