What do I have, and what would you recommend?

lucidchaos

Registered
First of all, forgive me as I am both green and rusty. Rusty with play, green with equipment.

I'm no stranger to forums, but I am new here. Here's my intro post.

I am in the process of inheriting a house. The centerpiece of the basement is a pool table - one that has given me great joy with friends 20 years ago - but I know nothing more than how to play using other people's equipment on other people's tables.

I'd like to know how to properly care for the equipment and exactly what it is.

I'll start with a few pictures I took just to get your thoughts and to feel out the forum and community.

Attachments

• lucasi.JPG
    lucasi.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 841
  • XII.JPG
    XII.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 829
  • VII.JPG
    VII.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 826

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to the forum.
You've got a table and at least 2 cues. Just play all you can for a while and learn all you can on this forum.
What you learn here will lead you into not only better equipment but the correct equipment that fits you, if you read, ask a few questions, and use the search function you'll have a mountain of knowledge at your fingertips.
Good luck

First of all, forgive me as I am both green and rusty. Rusty with play, green with equipment.

I am in the process of inheriting a house. The centerpiece of the basement is a pool table - one that has given me great joy with friends 20 years ago - but I know nothing more than how to play using other people's equipment on other people's tables.

I'll start with a few pictures I took just to get your thoughts and to feel out the forum and community.

Always love seeing pictures of pool tables, so maybe take a few pictures of the table that is in the house, and the forum members can let you know some info about it, and and if any care is needed.

I am not sure what that 2nd cue is, but it looks like a Lucasi, based on the VI (or VII) Roman numerals that I see in the butt cap, and the 1st cues appears to be a 90's era Lucasi.

They are pretty decent quality production cues, that were made in China.

lucidchaos

Registered
Good looking out. I've yet to heft the tennis table off - thankfully there's a tarp underneath it, or it would have been shot with the cats!

Speaking of cats... I'm working to clean up a lot of mess. I won't be inviting anyone over until the floors are clean and the smell is gone. I too am eager to see what table it is - I couldn't match the leg design to anything of that era yet.

Assuming I need to mop and use enzymes on the floor from cat mess, do you think bagging the legs would be needed? I assume there's probably no way I'm lifting it to move it like I did everything else on that floor.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a nice Lucasi cue, with inlays and irish linen wrap. Keep clean and dry, scuff the tip so it will hold chalk. As for your table. Get a horse hair shoe brush. Brush the felt towards the foot of the table (the end where you rack the balls). Get a cheap dustbuster. Start at the end of the table where you break from and brush a foot or so then vacuum the dust that accumulated, repeat till you get to the other end, You could also buy a can of felt or pool table cleaner off ebay. spray it on the felt and while the foam is still present, wipe with a soft microfiber cloth. it is a dust collector to get what you missed from brushing. If there is a lot of dust in the room I sugguest getting a cover. have fun.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Roman numerals are date codes. Pretty sure both were made in '02, one in Oct. and one in May. Those are nice old Lucasi's. Good playing cues.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would reccomend that you enjoy your cues,never look at another one and quit coming to az
you wil discover what pool playersare really like

escape while you still can

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Welcome to the forum.
You've got a table and at least 2 cues. Just play all you can for a while and learn all you can on this forum.
What you learn here will lead you into not only better equipment but the correct equipment that fits you, if you read, ask a few questions, and use the search function you'll have a mountain of knowledge at your fingertips.
Good luck

Excellent advice.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
if what you want to actually know is are they worth any money, the answer is no. if they roll flat on the table, then you got yourself a usable cue.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice quality cues there, on the higher end of the Lucasi line (which really just means there is more stuff the put in the wood for looks). As far as table care, no way to know since it's covered in the picture and if you are moving it to your place then you would be having a table mover come by to take it apart, get it together, put on new cloth on it if needed and level it to use. Not much really to keeping it clean aside from brushing it a few times a week, cleaning the rails and keeping it covered.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
...with the cats!

Speaking of cats... I'm working to clean up a lot of mess. I won't be inviting anyone over until the floors are clean and the smell is gone.

Assuming I need to mop and use enzymes on the floor from cat mess, do you think bagging the legs would be needed? I assume there's probably no way I'm lifting it to move it like I did everything else on that floor.

I have 3 cats around my table and they don't cause it any harm. Since they do all have their claws, and even though they are trained not to jump on the cloth, I keep it covered with a Naugahyde cover when not in use. It would only take them a half a second to cost me $600 for new cloth.

Is the smell you're describing from a carpet in the room? If so, you would need to either shampoo or use an enzyme scrub on the carpet. If the mess has soaked into the underlay, you will probably have to replace it. If it's a non-permeable surface like concrete or varnished hardwood you can use something like TSP to clean it. Either way, definitely use a plastic drop-cloth or something similar to cover the legs of the table. Things like TSP and Spic'n'Span can take the finish off of a table really quickly. Speaking of hardwood, try it out in an area where you won't notice before mopping the whole floor just to make sure.

Definitely do not try to move the table yourself. It is far too heavy and you will need a professional installer to properly take it apart and set it back up if you need to move it.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would reccomend that you enjoy your cues,never look at another one and quit coming to az
you wil discover what pool playersare really like

escape while you still can

I would go a step further, and say to put the table tennis top on , and sell off the balls and cues, so the kids don't get interested, and turn into pool hall geniuses.
Then have fun playing table tennis, and once in a while, you and the wife can paddle each other with them, if life gets boring.

lucidchaos

Registered
Good advice all the way around. So it sounds like I should enjoy the cues and not sell.

I got things "good enough" and took off the pong table on one side. Looks like I have a AMF Playmaster.

The tarp turned yellow around the rails, not sure why. The balls have not appeared to age well.

Still though, the table itself looks to be in decent shape. I have something to look forward to.

I'm concerned if anything needs to be done with the rails or pockets.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good advice all the way around. So it sounds like I should enjoy the cues and not sell.

I got things "good enough" and took off the pong table on one side. Looks like I have a AMF Playmaster.

The tarp turned yellow around the rails, not sure why. The balls have not appeared to age well.

Still though, the table itself looks to be in decent shape. I have something to look forward to.

I'm concerned if anything needs to be done with the rails or pockets.

You should get a better quality set of balls since it seems you are interested in playing on it rather than using it as a party game with friends. The way you check the rails and pockets is by playing, if you are not good enough of a player to know what to look for, I suggest asking around to see if anyone you know is and having them come by to check on it. You'd have to test the bounce off each rail to see if there are dead spots or full rails that are bad, make sure the rails are bolted on tight, etc...

lucidchaos

Registered
Exactly the kind of advice I am looking for. I've watched some videos and learned the rails should make it 3-4 times with a decently hard roll.

I'd definitely get some new balls.

I'm still working on getting the basement sanitized and deoderized. The enzymes are going to work under plastic right now. Taking the time to do it right.

Of course I'll be playing with friends and I have no intention to play at pool halls on a regular basis, but will likely play with my kids and I feel it's only right for them to learn on a proper table. It seems what I have will do the job with a little maintenance if I so choose.

I checked my cues for straightness. One is straight as an arrow, the other is a bit warped. I still havent been able to properly identify them. They have a coarse threaded joint. I also have a couple excalibur 1-peice cues that appear to be cheapies but are more well-used. Probably because the inlaid cues were off limits and I did the majority of playing all these years ago :cool: