Question about re-finishing a cue

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If doing a full refinish on an old meucci original where the finish is over the wrap, will the cue need re-wrapped also or can the old finish be taken off without damaging the linen wrap?

Thanks for the help

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I have never figured out why anyone would put a wrap on a cue and then put finish on it...............

Kim

Darkside7

I'm getting my meucci refinished by mueller/rat cue. My understanding is that once you refinish the coating, you have to re wrap the cue.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have sanded off the finish and refinished it without changing the wrap.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have never figured out why anyone would put a wrap on a cue and then put finish on it...............

Kim

Because some like the linen look, but don't like the feel. Keeps that white wrap looking nice for years. Same goes with snake skins.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Because some like the linen look, but don't like the feel. Keeps that white wrap looking nice for years. Same goes with snake skins.

Never heard those points........... I would rather see a nice burl handle.... but that's just me................

Kim

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
I replace the wrap during the refinish because I want to be 100% sure that the wrap is secure to the cue and that I have a virgin surface for my finish work. Spraying finish over someone else's work is risky.

There is also the issue of color, depending on the original color of the wrap. Old Muecci finish can yellow or there may be scuffs and dents that can give inconsistent coloration.

fishinpoolplaye

fishinpoolplaye
rap refinish

hi ,i have done a few they come spruits 2 or at a time ,whe i can i us black linen when it is coated with west system it looks like black ebony,my customers loved it when the picked up there cues.TaylorCustomCues