Help identifying cue

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing with this cue for years now and finally came across a similar looking one that may help narrow down its origins. It looks similar to a model 20 Brunswick collendar balke cue, but obviously a modern conversion with some type of bone joint and butt. Any one know of a builder known for using centennial balls as butts? Pretty unique feature. Not wanting to sell just getting more curious about its build, thanks

Attachments

• 20191229_164832.jpg
    20191229_164832.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 549
  • 20191229_164817.jpg
    20191229_164817.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 554

cue fix

Will "MONSOON" & SEARING!
Silver Member
add pictures showing the joint area whie it is apart. May help determine who worked on it

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These work?

Attachments

• 20200405_154506.jpg
    20200405_154506.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 548
  • 20200405_154441.jpg
    20200405_154441.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 543

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First time I have seen a cue posted here with that buttcap design, but whoever built it knew what they were doing. That is one of the nicest looking shaft woods I have ever seen.

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always thought looked pretty nice, has two identical shafts, both around 11.4mm, nice long taper great playing cue, maybe a little on the light side though. Has a center joint extension for playing on bigger tables too.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
First time I have seen a cue posted here with that buttcap design, but whoever built it knew what they were doing. That is one of the nicest looking shaft woods I have ever seen.

looks like someone uses a 1 ball for the bumper.

not undeard of for cuemakers to use material from cueballs for rings/joints, etc. Ernie at Gina was one of them. :smile:

Who knows id that "1" bumper is orig or added after.

The shaft collar doesn't match the butt joint collar so that doesn't appear to be orig.

I agree that the shaft wood with the curl looks nice.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been thinking it's a conversion from one of these collendar balke cues. It's slightly skinnier than most cues maybe but still right about there. The joint is 21.2mm and butt is 31.5. Just a fuzz under most my other cues

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 450

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just another look at the shafts, I use the one on the left almost exclusively and clean it often. Right one could use a little better cleaning up, cant see the wood pattern as well.

Attachments

• 20200405_181209.jpg
    20200405_181209.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 451

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If that cue was done at home, by someone not a cue maker, I’d like to see what else he’s done. Gotta be some hellacious birdhouses in his backyard

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If that cue was done at home, by someone not a cue maker, I’d like to see what else he’s done. Gotta be some hellacious birdhouses in his backyard

Heres an actual picture of a bird house in his back yard, Jim

Attachments

• Luxury-Homes-For-Birds.jpg
    Luxury-Homes-For-Birds.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 428

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are wondering if that cue was originally a Brunswick cue that was converted, I believe that the buttcap would be a possible clue- as the Brunswick Centennial balls had those arrows, so perhaps the cue maker / cue converter chose a Brunswick billiard ball as a tribute to the cue's origin- just a thought.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
looks like someone uses a 1 ball for the bumper.

not undeard of for cuemakers to use material from cueballs for rings/joints, etc. Ernie at Gina was one of them. :smile:

Who knows id that "1" bumper is orig or added after.

The shaft collar doesn't match the butt joint collar so that doesn't appear to be orig.

I agree that the shaft wood with the curl looks nice.

best,
brian kc

I've never seen a cueball like that used in a bumperless design like that, have to say it looks nice. And the horn rings and buttcap. For me the two best things about the cue are the two opposite ends, the shafts and the buttcap. I doubt I could even shoot with it, I'd be starring at the shafts thinking how nice the looked instead of aiming LOL

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Birdhouse makes me chuckle. My wife and I are big bird watchers. Neighbour is an excellent hobby wood craftsman and made an elaborate birdhouse. It was designed for Purple martins which are communal nesters. We didn’t have the heart to tell him that there aren’t any Purple martins in our part of Canada that nest in multiple dwellings like his house. We have many species that nest in boxes but all are quite territorial and won’t tolerate another bird within a few metres minimum.

We have a dozen modestly made bird houses on our property and most are busy throughout the breeding season...chickadees, woodpeckers, boreal owl, nuthatches, etc. His ‘mansion’ remains empty and for rent.

Back to the cue. A masterpiece. I wondered it was made by someone who played both Snooker and pool. That would be my thought if from here in Canada where both sports were popular and hybrid cues common.

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back to the cue. A masterpiece. I wondered it was made by someone who played both Snooker and pool. That would be my thought if from here in Canada where both sports were popular and hybrid cues common.

You may be right. The joint extension is about 7 inches long and the shafts are on the thinner side. I assumed it was for playing on larger tables but snooker is a real possibility. I've played on a 9ft table with it and it helps a lot

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may be right. The joint extension is about 7 inches long and the shafts are on the thinner side. I assumed it was for playing on larger tables but snooker is a real possibility. I've played on a 9ft table with it and it helps a lot

Longer cues are not really made to be used on larger tables, the snooker cues are no longer than, and in fact are now usually shorter, than cues used for pool. Long cues do have an advantage for reach and taller players but I don't think cue makers make their cues based on the table size they will be used on.

The shafts do not look like they were made for snooker, they could have just been made thinner for player preference, a lot of people like shafts under 13mm, they also could have gotten thinner over time depending on how old the cue is. Snooker cues have much smaller tips and generally use a conical taper and short ferrules.