Cornhole vs Pool

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing a lot of cornhole this summer and I recently decided to start playing tournaments and taking this sport a little more seriously like I do pool.

My research thus far has just barely grazed the surface of this sport and I'm already amazed at how well it's organized when compared to pool.

Somehow, this sport has no problem getting sponsored. I watched some youtube videos of the local monthly tournaments and the players are covered with sponsors like a nascar driver. The one guy had about 7 sponsors and they were mostly all from companies that had nothing to do with cornhole (i.e. manufacturing companies, restaurants, repair companies etc.). And the guy wasn't a pro I don't think. He actually ended up losing to a female.

I played in one tourney so far and it had nice payouts ($500 1st). Everyone was very friendly except one group. And the best part was that the tournaments only last about 4 hours.

This sport hasn't been around very long and it's picking up a lot of steam. I know it's been on TV a lot lately too.

Hopefully I can learn something useful from the way cornhole is running things and bring it over to pool somehow. We'll see...

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, being from the Midwest, I still don't know the following...

1. Official weight and dimensions of the bag.
2. Official width, length and slope of the box.
3. Official diameter of the whole and th X,Y position from the edges.
4. Official distance between boxes and release of bags.
5. Official surface texture and resistance thresholds.
6. Overhand or underhand only rules official?
7. Slings or gloves allowed fficially?
8. Officially, do you have to be drunk and/or stoned?

Understanding I'm from the Midwest, it was wildly popular around here at one point, and every tournament did seem organized as far the locations and brackets, every tourney at bars at least. There was a 5K prize tournament at one point (somewhere around Lawerenceburg, IN. about 7 years ago).

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, being from the Midwest, I still don't know the following...

1. Official weight and dimensions of the bag.
2. Official width, length and slope of the box.
3. Official diameter of the whole and th X,Y position from the edges.
4. Official distance between boxes and release of bags.
5. Official surface texture and resistance thresholds.
6. Overhand or underhand only rules official?
7. Slings or gloves allowed fficially?
8. Officially, do you have to be drunk and/or stoned?

Understanding I'm from the Midwest, it was wildly popular around here at one point, and every tournament did seem organized as far the locations and brackets, every tourney at bars at least. There was a 5K prize tournament at one point (somewhere around Lawerenceburg, IN. about 7 years ago).

https://americancornhole.com/aco-official-rules-for-the-sport-of-cornhole/

All of the tournament boards and bags must but made by an approved manufacturer.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cornhole is easy for anyone to play and is easy for anyone to buy to stick in their backyards or basements. Pool not so much.

It takes a long time and a lot of hard work to become proficient at pool. Cornhole not so much.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was at a bbq party last weekend. My wife who never plays and is a klutz swished 4 cornholes in a row. She was having a blast. But then, I remember my son sank 12 straight free throws when he was 8, never did that again. Pool’s a lot tougher.

Last edited:

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who cares that pool is tougher? This isn’t a contest lol. Both games are fun and coexist.

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Who cares that pool is tougher? This isn’t a contest lol. Both games are fun and coexist.

I think he was just stating why cornhole has taken off so well. Much quicker to learn to play decently, and to master. And you can set it up easily just about anywhere. Whereas with a pool tournament you have thousand of pounds of equipment to set up and move and level and all that jazz.

I agree it’s a cool game though that I’ve been getting into

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I miss B&B

Attachments

• giphy.jpg
    giphy.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 573
Last edited:

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I get the point of the original poster. How can something as stupid as Cornhole surpass pool in general viewer interest?

I managed to make it through 30-45 minutes of watching a tournament match. It was pretty boring, and I have a set of Cornhole boards. At least with pool, there is some strategy, position play, etc.

I do see the purpose in Cornhole as a pastime while barbecuing and having folks over outside. Almost any age can play, and you can be pretty inebriated and still do pretty well.

My wife and I played some when a local bar put a set on their patio. She suggested we a set for the house. I found a custom maker in the general Houston area and ordered a set of boards that would meet tournament specs.

She likes the Cowboys, and I like the Texans, so we split on the design. This guy does great work. The longer legs that support the end with the hole are independently adjustable (think uneven yard) and have a level built in on the support beam between the legs. It's fun off and on, but not in the heat of Houston summers. Best in the Spring and Fall. Pic below.

Cornhole Boards SM.jpg

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's so great about a game that has the same mechanics and basic strategy as throwing trash in a garbage can?

Why aren't they wearing tuxedos?

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Horseshoes for the win!

Cornhole is a game everyone can play, have fun, and win - all three. Pool, not so much

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I've been playing a lot of cornhole this summer and I recently decided to start playing tournaments and taking this sport a little more seriously like I do pool.

My research thus far has just barely grazed the surface of this sport and I'm already amazed at how well it's organized when compared to pool.

Somehow, this sport has no problem getting sponsored. I watched some youtube videos of the local monthly tournaments and the players are covered with sponsors like a nascar driver. The one guy had about 7 sponsors and they were mostly all from companies that had nothing to do with cornhole (i.e. manufacturing companies, restaurants, repair companies etc.). And the guy wasn't a pro I don't think. He actually ended up losing to a female.

I played in one tourney so far and it had nice payouts ($500 1st). Everyone was very friendly except one group. And the best part was that the tournaments only last about 4 hours.

This sport hasn't been around very long and it's picking up a lot of steam. I know it's been on TV a lot lately too.

Hopefully I can learn something useful from the way cornhole is running things and bring it over to pool somehow. We'll see...

I love Cornhole and have worked on some innovative board designs with a small company. But does it have multiple governing bodies that compete with different rule sets? Does it have a lot of pros who struggle with gambling and drug addictions? Do I have to go a bar to play cornhole in my town, so that no one under 21 can learn the sport well enough to join tomorrow's generation of pros? Pool is losing time on TV to cornhole because it is self-destructive.

On the other side--Do pool players bring their own tables and equipment to meets and ask for tiny prize purses only? Does the top pool player hope to win a couple of tournaments per year only, to take home $2000? TV likes cornhole because it's cheap to film and sponsor.

CO Nineballer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe combining will help???

Cornhole is a much more physically demanding than pool.......after drinking 20 beers and bending over and picking up "bags" over a long session it takes its toll on you.

The next day your hamstrings are killing you and your head hurts!!!

Greg

Attachments

• Cornhole.jpg
    Cornhole.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 232

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Cornhole is a much more physically demanding than pool.......after drinking 20 beers and bending over and picking up "bags" over a long session it takes its toll on you.

The next day your hamstrings are killing you and your head hurts!!!

Greg

Ya. And sometimes you have 3,4,5+ bags in the hole and you’re leaning over, all juiced up, trying to pull them through the hole at the same time. You fight and try to wiggle them through, telling yourself you’re not giving up this time, you’re not dropping one or two and making 2 trips in with your hand.

Of course you could’ve come in underneath, from the side. But by the time you’ve thought of that again you’re already wrestling bags through the hole. So you end up dropping the extra ones and having to reach back in again to get the rest...you’re right nineballer, very physically demanding