Brunswick Cues & Joss Falcon relationship

Beebop21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just acquired a Brunswick branded cue that I was pretty sure was made by Falcon.

When I got it compared to my older Joss (think the Joss is a N6 or something in that series, 1993ish maybe......used to be pics in the Joss archive but can't find that archive anymore).

There is very little information I have ever seen on the relationship between Joss and Falcon early on, other than some nebulous inferences that Joss might have helped Falcon get set up initially. Also very little information I have ever seen on the Brunswick branded cues Falcon may have produced in Canada before moving operations overseas like 2005ish?

Anyway, just thought I would post pics, and would love any information others may have. I had been conditioned to think all the Joss Brunswick lines had been documented in the old cue archive and in the blue book, and that if it looked like a Joss but wasn't in those lines, that it was probably made by Falcon.......but maybe that's a fallacy?

Comparing the new cue to the old Joss, everything is virtually the same, some design concepts seem to be shared between the two companies from what I have seen, same butt cap config, same joint and pilot, etc. These two cues the shafts interchange and line up flush on both butts.

Going out on a limb here, but gonna say if you pick up one of these old Brunswick branded cues, you will be getting something directly comparable to a Joss in virtually all respects, just likely to be a little rarer and for much less money.
40edd6ac0598a28c17a3f058764c6e73.jpg
36aceb99d80f7579e40d307baf0d27ac.jpg
ba46d677c569ea4e61149d5455bc29b3.jpg
4466448b847b2a0630fd72c3bcf13cf4.jpg
61edb8d1eff7529af07b4229efde27e4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Beebop21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
....I might be out over my skis a bit saying the two are directly comparable....could be differences in qualities of materials, quality control etc.......but fit and finish seems equivalent on its surface, and so much else of the construction seems to match exactly.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Ernie Chen opened Falcon in Canada he developed a working relationship with Dan at JOSS. This lasted a few years and then for some reason they split and EC hooked up with Clawson to build Predator butts. Both Falcon and JOSS made cues for Brunswick back then. Both of them were well made and played really well.

Beebop21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I presume that must have been early 90's?

If the one on the left is a Falcon product, and that similar to the JOSS, it makes me kinda curious what that working relationship consisted of.

Is it reasonable to conclude that one like this must be a Falcon by virtue of it not being in any of the Brunswick lines attributed to Joss, or could it be a JOSS product in a line just not well documented like the others?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I presume that must have been early 90's?

If the one on the left is a Falcon product, and that similar to the JOSS, it makes me kinda curious what that working relationship consisted of.

Is it reasonable to conclude that one like this must be a Falcon by virtue of it not being in any of the Brunswick lines attributed to Joss, or could it be a JOSS product in a line just not well documented like the others?

You might send pic to JOSS. They might be able to tell if they made it. IIRC Dan sold Ernie some machines and helped train some of EC's staff. They had a falling out that is a sorta murky situation. Ernie went on to make cues for Predator and then his line of Falcons. About all i know of this.

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
90's Falcon Comparison

From the research I've done on this Model I own, I'm convinced it's a Falcon Made.

Here are some photos of the butt/ weight bolt for comparison to your Joss.

Attachments

• 20200223_093106_resize_48.jpg
    20200223_093106_resize_48.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 213
  • 20200223_093148_resize_68.jpg
    20200223_093148_resize_68.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 208
  • 20200223_093130_resize_91.jpg
    20200223_093130_resize_91.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 220

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Brunswicks

14 pin was contracted to Joss Cues
18 pin was Canadian made. Priced about 1/2 the Joss made cues..
Nick ;)