The softer the tip, the more spin you can get? is this accurate.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi asbani, in a short answer: YES - The softer the tip the more spin you can get, thus increasing control also. , but, I don't use a super soft tip or a very soft tip because of quickly they wear out and need replacing, I use a Medium that is semi-soft. and still get plenty of spin and cue ball control, I also am such a cheapskate that after a couple weeks of non stop play with the same tip, I will start scuffing the tip between every few shots to make sure it never hardens and I can get maximum life out of it, as I am a hard hitter usually, I can play soft, but I prefer to practice working the cue ball around the table on every shot. ----
--- For a reference, I can draw the cue ball back with a spin fast enough to go the length of the table almost 3 times, not that i'm great or anything, i think it's just after many years i consistently hit the ball square.
THREE table lengths of draw?? Sorry but i'm callin' bs on this. I don't care if its a 3x6 cracker-box that ain't happening. I've seen Massey many times and he can draw it almost 2 full lengths on a 9' Gold Crown. Never seen ANYONE else come close. Show us and i'll go for it.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
If ya wanna be a player....

Attachments

• D63D9374-0F30-456A-A95D-7BF322069403.jpeg
    D63D9374-0F30-456A-A95D-7BF322069403.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 112

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Despite what Dr. Dave says, I think you can get more spin from a soft tip. I don't have proof or anything though. Seems like this would be easy enough to test though

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I've seen Massey many times and he can draw it almost 2 full lengths on a 9' Gold Crown. Never seen ANYONE else come close. ...
I've seen two others get two lengths but each of them spent a lot of time working at it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen two others get two lengths but each of them spent a lot of time working at it.
Don't doubt that one bit. I'm not going for three or even 2.5. I can get it to go about 1.5 times on good cloth but i have to hit it PERFECTLY. When Massey does it the CB does a little burn-out before it backs up. Crazy stroke.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Since I took the time to read through this...thread..I will respond as well to muddy any possible clear spots left.

I play with a harder tip usually (kamui med, ultraskin hard, water buffalo, and some other Hard tip someone put on me cue) and I feel like I get more spin, or at least draw the ball much better with the harder tip. And it’s shaped like a freakin bullet, nay, a Spear even. Aiight it’s not that dramatically sharp but definitely a dime shape. Very rounded and kept that way naturally just by the way I play and chalk I guess.

Soft tips I have tried is a sniper (maybe not supposed to be a Soft tip but ew my god it felt like a sponge) kamui soft, super soft, and ultra skin soft and super soft. I don’t like soft. In life or tips, unless we’re talking epidermis.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Despite what Dr. Dave says, I think you can get more spin from a soft tip. I don't have proof or anything though. Seems like this would be easy enough to test though

There are 2 things that affect spin on the cue ball: 1. speed of stroke 2. TIP Position on the cue ball. Tip hardness has more to do with feel than anything else.

"I think" doesn't hold up very well when you have physical evidence to prove otherwise.

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are 2 things that affect spin on the cue ball: 1. speed of stroke 2. TIP Position on the cue ball. Tip hardness has more to do with feel than anything else.

"I think" doesn't hold up very well when you have physical evidence to prove otherwise.

Haha I'm fairly certain there are more than two factors affecting spin such as weight of the cue and angle of cue among others.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep it's a statement, which I followed with, "I don't have any proof." Please link me to where Dr. Dave empirically tests the spin of a soft tip vs a hard tip with all else being equal.
Fairly easy to test yourself. Put a hard and a soft on two shafts. Go play. I've done this and can see ZERO difference in amount of spin. Contact time is so tiny that any difference there MAY be is not noticeable.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Haha I'm fairly certain there are more than two factors affecting spin such as weight of the cue and angle of cue among others.

I will say it in a different way that you might understand 1. Tip position on the cue ball = level cue and how far off vertical center the tip strikes the cue ball. angle or striking downward reduces spin. 2. speed of stroke = energy transfer to the cue ball from the cue stick striking the cue ball.

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will say it in a different way that you might understand 1. Tip position on the cue ball = level cue and how far off vertical center the tip strikes the cue ball. angle or striking downward reduces spin. 2. speed of stroke = energy transfer to the cue ball from the cue stick striking the cue ball.

You originally said there are two things that affect spin. That's a gross oversimplification no matter how you try to rearrange your words.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
You originally said there are two things that affect spin. That's a gross oversimplification no matter how you try to rearrange your words.

As an instructor keeping it simple is the best way for most people to learn.

Debunking myths like tip hardness has affect on how much spin you can put on a cue ball or one of my favorites is if you want more draw on the cue ball "follow through more or farther" is part of my job.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
There are simple ways to eliminate such variables when comparing tips. Dismissing Dr. Dave's tests without looking at them is lazy and misleading.

pj
chgo

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My opinion is a bit opposite of what Dave says, I have always felt I could draw the cue better with a soft tip, my grandpa who taught me to play(and consistently would break a 100 playing straight pool in his 70's said the same thing). Maybe, I was influenced by his opinion and never gave the hard tips a chance, I'm going to order some and give them a whirl.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Soft tips will absorb more impact causing the tip to stay on the cue ball for a split second longer than harder tips. his will result in more cue ball spin, commonly referred to as “English”, when struck off the center of the cue ball." Pooldawg site
I guess this is something that is generally thought, but is apparently wrong?