Looking for a Adam Japan made Balabushka

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool Thanks , I Apperciate the info and that website sure does have some nice ones. I just love the look of the Balabushka design but cannot afford a real one so the replica's are for me. I am not a Pro player just a used to be good player from back in the pool room days. Thanks for the help and Info.
One last thing, i contacted the Balabushka co in Arizona. They said they own the HelmstetterCue trademark. That sounds kinda weird to me but that's what they said. Probably how they're able to use the name in an ad. I wonder if Richard is aware of this? Just doesn't sound kosher to me but i'm no lawyer, thank you very much. They must have bought it when they got the rights to the Balab. name.

Ok , what is OBM and 275 Bux sounds like he got a good deal , 2 what makes that Mushashi worth so much ? what would make a cue worth 4,000 ?

It is a super nice cue, but I imagine a buyer could get a similar looking Bushka style custom cue from Richard Black, for example, for less then half of that price tag, and the quality would be every bit as good.

Here is an Adam / Japan Balabushka on ebay that is ending in about 9 days.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/George-Bal...11dc:g:GqoAAOSw0AxeTbYP&LH_ItemCondition=3000

I do not see it selling for more then $350-$400 (Max).

One last thing, i contacted the Balabushka co in Arizona. They said they own the HelmstetterCue trademark. That sounds kinda weird to me but that's what they said. Probably how they're able to use the name in an ad. I wonder if Richard is aware of this? Just doesn't sound kosher to me but i'm no lawyer, thank you very much. They must have bought it when they got the rights to the Balab. name.

That is very interesting.

So that means that they could bring back a line of Helmstetter cues if they ever wanted to.

I imagine that Richard Helmstetter probably does not care, or maybe he sold the rights to the trademark logo when he left Adam cues.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is Helmsetter a good cue , I have heard of them just never played with one. I honestly do not think I have ever seen on in person either, were they just a average cue .

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a super nice cue, but I imagine a buyer could get a similar looking Bushka style custom cue from Richard Black, for example, for less then half of that price tag, and the quality would be every bit as good.

Here is an Adam / Japan Balabushka on ebay that is ending in about 9 days.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/George-Bal...11dc:g:GqoAAOSw0AxeTbYP&LH_ItemCondition=3000

I do not see it selling for more then $350-$400 (Max).
R. Black 'bushka is currently $2500.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is Helmsetter a good cue , I have heard of them just never played with one. I honestly do not think I have ever seen on in person either, were they just a average cue .
They were good cues especially the VIP line. Typical ADAM-Japan quality.

Helmstetter cues were really great cues, in my opinion. They were made by Adam, in Japan, and I believe that they were a higher end line of cues, then the standard line of Adam cues.

Here is a New (old stock) Helmstetter cue that is on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Helmstette...209611?hash=item3fc3d13dcb:g:T8gAAOSwFOpc7wME

I think they are / were very good quality cues. Not sure how long it has been since they were made, but that one in the link above might be over 20 years old. I assume that it just sat in a dealers case, and never got sold.

I have a lot of respect for Adam / Helmstetter cues.

For the price, I think it would be hard to find a better hitting, or better quality cue.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I am not surprised. Probably a very long wait to get one direct from Richard Black too. I always loved his Bushka style cues.

If you buy a new cue from Richard Black, and it doesn't cost at least $5,000, Richard isn't the one making it. Somebody else who works in his old shop is making it. I forgot the guy's name. I was told this by Richard, himself, about a year ago when I was trying to get him to make me a shaft.

WTD14

Registered
I just bought one of these off Ebay and they look really nice in person. A couple inlays were out of line and the veneers could be better done but it looks great considering the cost. I will say my Schon shaft doesn't fit the pin which is a big disappointment. Anyone know why this is? It's the same joint and oin type no?

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Ebay ones are Chinese made knock off's , I would say they are not as good as the new line of Balabushka cues being made. They advertise these as Japan made but other's here believe they are cheaper Chinese version's. The problem lies who know's , They problay vary a lot in spec's

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the record, so this can be settled, once and for all.

The Balabushka line of cues are now made in China.

ADAM-Japan has nothing to do with them.

There are TONS of Chinese cues being advertised on the internet (especially ebay) that falsely claim they are made by ADAM-Japan and have certificates. The cues and certificates are both made in China. Whether these cues are made in the same Chinese factory as the licensed Chinese Balabushka cues, I don't know.

Buy at your own risk.

WTD14

Registered
For the record, so this can be settled, once and for all.

The Balabushka line of cues are now made in China.

ADAM-Japan has nothing to do with them.

There are TONS of Chinese cues being advertised on the internet (especially ebay) that falsely claim they are made by ADAM-Japan and have certificates. The cues and certificates are both made in China. Whether these cues are made in the same Chinese factory as the licensed Chinese Balabushka cues, I don't know.

Buy at your own risk.

Definitely made in China. I have the sticker to prove it lol.

WTD14

Registered
The Ebay ones are Chinese made knock off's , I would say they are not as good as the new line of Balabushka cues being made. They advertise these as Japan made but other's here believe they are cheaper Chinese version's. The problem lies who know's , They problay vary a lot in spec's

I got ahold of my buddy that knows cue. It's the same thread count just a different pitch. Apparently it's a Schon thing. I'll just end up throwing a Predator on there instead of the Schon shaft.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought one of these off Ebay and they look really nice in person. A couple inlays were out of line and the veneers could be better done but it looks great considering the cost. I will say my Schon shaft doesn't fit the pin which is a big disappointment. Anyone know why this is? It's the same joint and oin type no?

Did the ebay listing say it was made by ADAM-Japan or did it say it was made in China or did it not mention where it was made?