The greatest pool trick ever

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe someone can help me unravel the mystery of the greatest pool trick I ever saw, and I saw it done on several occasions. The man who did this trick was Jimmy Moore, one of the all time great pool players. Interestingly enough this trick did not requite using a cue or shooting any balls. He did it with his hands!

Jimmy would put all the balls in the ball box where the balls came down on a ball return table. He would reach into the box with both hands, all the time looking up at his audience or even the ceiling, and rummage them around to mix them up. Then he would grab three balls in each hand and quickly throw them out onto the table, rolling them rapidly toward the other end. At the same moment as the balls hit the table and started rolling Jimmy would shout out a number, like 48 or 52.

Here is the amazing part - that number would be exactly what the six balls would add up to each and every time he did it! He never missed either. It seemed like he could instantly add up all six numbers the moment they hit the table. My question is, how did he do it? To this day I've never been able to figure this one out. I've even asked his son Jimmy Jr. how his dad did that trick and he just smiled and said his dad knew how to do it.

I suspect there may be some old timers like me who actually saw Jimmy "throw the balls" as he liked to call it. Anybody have any ideas how he did it? I'm still stumped.

P.S. I think he actually did it with more than six balls sometimes as well.

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My guess is while he was mixing up the balls he already had the balls in his hands and was just appearing to mix the balls in the box. If not that then he could add pretty quickly based off the colors of the balls and prob through a lot of practice you’d be surprised how fast and good you could become at that too.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I'm not sure about greatest ever, but probably just an ability to memorize the color combos as mentioned or maybe load the balls in the tray so he knew what he was grabbing...or this maybe:

Attachments

• RainMan_4_5.jpg
    RainMan_4_5.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 1,220

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
My guess is while he was mixing up the balls he already had the balls in his hands and was just appearing to mix the balls in the box. If not that then he could add pretty quickly based off the colors of the balls and prob through a lot of practice you’d be surprised how fast and good you could become at that too.

I watched him mix up the balls very carefully. He wasn't holding onto any of them until he grabbed two handfuls and threw them onto the table. I'm talking about less than one second between the balls hitting the table and him shouting out the number.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
My initial thoughts were the same as DRV, in that Jimmy already had the balls in his hands and the 'mixing' was purely for misdirection.

I love stories like this, many thanks for sharing, Mr Helfert. :)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
My initial thoughts were the same as DRV, in that Jimmy already had the balls in his hands and the 'mixing' was purely for misdirection.

I love stories like this, many thanks for sharing, Mr Helfert. :)

The balls would already be in the box in a random order, mostly out of sight, when he started each time. He would look up, place his hands in the box, mix the balls up for a few seconds and then grab them and throw (he didn't peek either). Someone else had to have seen Jimmy do this. He did it on many occasions to the delight of all present. The last time I witnessed this was when he came to one of the original Hard Times tourneys in the early 90's and played in it. He was over 80 then but still a very competitive player. I know he got in the money but don't remember how deep he went. Those were very strong fields back then with many of the top players coming here after playing in Reno at the Sands.

P.S. Jimmy could still run 100 balls when he was in his 80's, probably the greatest octogenarian to ever play the game.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe someone can help me unravel the mystery of the greatest pool trick I ever saw, and I saw it done on several occasions. The man who did this trick was Jimmy Moore, one of the all time great pool players. Interestingly enough this trick did not requite using a cue or shooting any balls. He did it with his hands!

Jimmy would put all the balls in the ball box where the balls came down on a ball return table. He would reach into the box with both hands, all the time looking up at his audience or even the ceiling, and rummage them around to mix them up. Then he would grab three balls in each hand and quickly throw them out onto the table, rolling them rapidly toward the other end. At the same moment as the balls hit the table and started rolling Jimmy would shout out a number, like 48 or 52.

Here is the amazing part - that number would be exactly what the six balls would add up to each and every time he did it! He never missed either. It seemed like he could instantly add up all six numbers the moment they hit the table. My question is, how did he do it? To this day I've never been able to figure this one out. I've even asked his son Jimmy Jr. how his dad did that trick and he just smiled and said his dad knew how to do it.

I suspect there may be some old timers like me who actually saw Jimmy "throw the balls" as he liked to call it. Anybody have any ideas how he did it? I'm still stumped.

P.S. I think he actually did it with more than six balls sometimes as well.
Interesting. The average number of the 15 balls in a set is 8, so for any 6 balls the average total would be 48. Somehow, kind of like a card player counting cards, he must have memorized all the possible combinations of 6 balls as being exactly 48, slightly more or slightly less than that 48 average, and he was able to blurt it out almost instantly as those 6 balls hit the table, by the color of the balls. That's just my guess. Some people are just more gifted at math and memorization skills than others. Sounds like Cowboy Jimmy Moore could have been an awesome math teacher or poker player!

Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Hmmm, perhaps he was just incredibly adept at reckoning the total with the briefest of glances? I have a buddy who is similarly skilled in predicting the number of poker chips in a stack.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a neat trick.
If he really wanted to impress people he should have done it on a drop pocket table.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe it was a Rainman like knack he discovered he had to add up the numbers quickly, or maybe there was a 'trick' to it. Either way, I would have enjoyed watching it! :thumbup:

Ive always thought the best mysteries are the ones that nobody ever figures out. ;)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe it was a Rainman like knack he discovered he had to add up the numbers quickly, or maybe there was a 'trick' to it. Either way, I would have enjoyed watching it! :thumbup:

Ive always thought the best mysteries are the ones that nobody ever figures out. ;)

Damn, I wish somebody had taped him doing this one time. Shame on me for not thinking of it back then. His son, Jimmy Jr. lives in Vegas and plays out of Griffs. If you're ever out that way ask him about his dad doing this trick.

fasted71465

Fast Ed
Silver Member
There is a video of him doing it. It seemed to me he could just add the colors up in his head quickly. He would roll them and have them added before they hit the end rail. It took him about 2 seconds to add them, about the same time they got to the end. He did it with 4 balls then 5 balls then 6.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Looks like he was just gifted at math.

There is some new show on TV that touts the smartest kid in the US. I saw some pretty impressive math skills. I would think those kids could do the same with pool balls, maybe even quicker if they memorized the colors.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's some impressive math skills! Thanks for posting.