14.1 results lacking

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Charlie did not make past the round robin groups. So, Reas must be talking about the earlier match.
I sat near Earl during the match with Archer. He kept talking about how lucky Archer was because Archer kept getting good rolls. I wanted to tell him that he was in Queens. If he wanted good rolls he would have to go to Brooklyn where they have the best bakeries. But, I kept my mouth shut.
He just kept going on and on about how the only way players can beat him is if they get all the good rolls. He never gets good rolls. He has no respect for the skill of the other players. Archer played a great match.

That's pretty much Earl on his best behavior actually.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the Earl vs Dennis Spears match. Earl did not say a word. And, he lost. I don't know what was different about the Archer match. Johnny was a true professional. I did not say a word. He looked over at someone and just smiled and nodded. He knew he was in control of the match.
Sorry to see Lipsky out. I like watching him play. Nice guy too.

stevemcqueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the Earl vs Dennis Spears match. Earl did not say a word. And, he lost. I don't know what was different about the Archer match. Johnny was a true professional. I did not say a word. He looked over at someone and just smiled and nodded. He knew he was in control of the match.

please read my post above, to see the difference when earl plays archer :wink:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes Earl's behavior at the beginning of this tournament was totally aberrant. I have never seen him play 2 matches in a row where, win or lose, there wasn't some kind of totally inappropriate behavior. I have no insight into why this tournament would be different, at least for a while.

He almost got thrown out of the World Championships in Cardiff one year after telling referee Michaela Tabb "You shut up" . Another time he was playing Mika who was getting his fair amount of applause and Earl turned to the audience and said "why are you cheering for him-he's a foreigner". I was probably 100 feet away and i heard him-that's how loud it was. I could go on and on.

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wednesday's Matches

Immonen defeats Spears
Archer defeats Landi
Thweib defeats Cohen
Zvi defeats Barouty
Wilkie defeats Kong
Shuff defeats O’Callaghan
Dueul defeats Chin
Eberle defeats Lipsky

Hohmann defeats Immonen
Archer defeats Strickland
Appleton defeats Thweib
Eckert defeats Zvi
Wilkie defeats Dechaine
Reyes defeats Shuff
Deuel defeats See
Eberle defeats Schmidt

Schmidt defeats Spears
See defeats Landi
Cohen defeats Shuff
Barouty defeats Dechaine
Thweib defeats O’Callaghan
Strickland defeats Chin
Immonen defeats Lipsky

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Immonen defeats Spears
Archer defeats Landi
Thweib defeats Cohen
Zvi defeats Barouty
Wilkie defeats Kong
Shuff defeats O’Callaghan
Dueul defeats Chin
Eberle defeats Lipsky

Hohmann defeats Immonen
Appleton defeats Thweib
Eckert defeats Zvi
Wilkie defeats Dechaine
Reyes defeats Shuff
Deuel defeats See
Eberle defeats Schmidt

Schmidt defeats Spears
See defeats Landi
Cohen defeats Shuff
Barouty defeats Dechaine
Thweib defeats O’Callaghan
Strickland defeats Chin
Immonen defeats Lipsky

Thanks for the results.

Do you know who plays who today? Are they redrawing for the final 16?

Lots of good players left.

stevemcqueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
re

haha ! ( he is ) does look rather silly indeed! but i can say the live streaming has been good quality, but the rest of service has been poor!!! no chatroom, no updates on scores etc...

and not to mention the fact all matches were running about 2 hours behind schedule ( which is not good when you live in the uk) i am 5 hours ahead of new york.

well i will probably pay my $15 again today, but only if Earl is gonna feature on the tv table, so we shall see...

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
haha ! ( he is ) does look rather silly indeed! but i can say the live streaming has been good quality, but the rest of service has been poor!!! no chatroom, no updates on scores etc...

and not to mention the fact all matches were running about 2 hours behind schedule ( which is not good when you live in the uk) i am 5 hours ahead of new york.

well i will probably pay my $15 again today, but only if Earl is gonna feature on the tv table, so we shall see...

Yes the streaming seems to be 2x better now than it was on day 1

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He almost got thrown out of the World Championships in Cardiff one year after telling referee Michaela Tabb "You shut up" . Another time he was playing Mika who was getting his fair amount of applause and Earl turned to the audience and said "why are you cheering for him-he's a foreigner". I was probably 100 feet away and i heard him-that's how loud it was. I could go on and on.

Please please PLEASE tell me that last part was also in Cardiff.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please please PLEASE tell me that last part was also in Cardiff.

Hahahaha-Sorry that was in the US Open. One other weird thing about Earl many may not know- He once went on a road trip through Russia with Ralf. You'd think they would have bonded some during that time but instead Earl just knocked /dissed the hell out of Ralf whenever he could for years and then again in his last Mosconi Cup.

BTW-In Cardiff the next day Earl brought flowers for Michaela- the one and only time i have heard or seen Earl have second thoughts about his behavior. Im sure its on Youtube.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW-some one said there was not a chat-there is a chat-click the blue/green box next to 'information' as long as you are not in full screen

Last edited:

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hahahaha-Sorry that was in the US Open. One other weird thing about Earl many may not know- He once went on a road trip through Russia with Ralf. You'd think they would have bonded some during that time but instead Earl just knocked /dissed the hell out of Ralf whenever he could for years and then again in his last Mosconi Cup.

BTW-In Cardiff the next day Earl brought flowers for Michaela- the one and only time i have heard or seen Earl have second thoughts about his behavior. Im sure its on Youtube.

I can only imagine the exchange between Earl and Michaela that ended with Earl saying "You shut up." :shakehead:

Love him or hate him, Earl is certainly a character. It is also a testament to his incredible talent that the pool-playing world puts up with his baggage. A lesser player with those character quirks would never be tolerated.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Tolerance

I can only imagine the exchange between Earl and Michaela that ended with Earl saying "You shut up." :shakehead:

Love him or hate him, Earl is certainly a character. It is also a testament to his incredible talent that the pool-playing world puts up with his baggage. A lesser player with those character quirks would never be tolerated.

Yea...but his antics are getting very, very old! I still expect a melt down from him today or tomorrow if he loses!

Wedge

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea...but his antics are getting very, very old! I still expect a melt down from him today or tomorrow if he loses!

Wedge

Indeed. I also wonder how much of his antics are a result of the pool world putting up with him for 25 years.

A few disqualifications in major events for unsportsmanlike conduct and I bet he would learn to control himself very quickly.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

She told him in a pleasant voice/tone to be quiet-did not tell him to 'shut up' but that is what Earl came back with anyway.

Last edited:

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
August 2nd

August 2nd Single Elimination
Hohmann defeats Barouty
Schmidt defeats Eberle
Eckert defeats Zvi
Appleton defeats Thweib
Cohen defeats Wilkie